Google hit with record EU fine over Shopping service

I_Need_a_PC
51 minutes ago, Mihle said:

BTW, EU doesnt mention Monopoly at all in this case.

No, the EU use the term "market dominance",  becasue even they know it is neither a monopoly nor anti-trust case.  However there are a few people in this thread who keep claiming it is a monopoly and that is why google should be fined, punished, whatever.  This is why Jito and myself have both re-iterated that it is not a monopoly and why.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 6/27/2017 at 6:51 AM, LUUD18 said:

They have a monopoly in search engines. It is a standard now so they can't do those things.

No, there are tons of alternatives. You can't blame a company for people deciding their product is the best over the others. Maybe safari, firefox, edge should just get good. Aside from that nothing is stopping people from moving their adverts to other platforms. Monopoly is only when they are the only game in town and that's simply not true. They are just the BEST game in town. That's like when idiots want to tax the rich more then everyone else just for making good life choices/luck. Stupid idea needs to stop. They are entitled to the fruits of their labor just like Google is entitled to do what they want with their platform.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

No, the EU use the term "market dominance",  becasue even they know it is neither a monopoly nor anti-trust case.  However there are a few people in this thread who keep claiming it is a monopoly and that is why google should be fined, punished, whatever.  This is why Jito and myself have both re-iterated that it is not a monopoly and why.

So basically it's another cash grab from the EU. Google should just only keep servers in the EU and keep it's business in the US were it won't try to be cucked.

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

26 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

So basically it's another cash grab from the EU. Google should just only keep servers in the EU and keep it's business in the US were it won't try to be cucked.

Cash grab for what? 2 billion is a drop in the bucket. Wasn't the UK just complaining about sending 300 million pounds a week to the EU. That's one member paying Google's fine in less than two months perpetually.

Keep servers in the EU but not their business - what does this even mean? The only reason to establish servers in the EU is to serve the European market and that market is probably the most lucrative in the world. No company in their right mind would exit that market.

Google's search engine dominance far outweighs Microsoft's operating system dominance. They are the de facto standard. Bing (probably the largest competitor) is irrelevant. Google dictates what happens. They can pick and choose who wins and loses. That's why people call it a monopoly. It's a controlling entity. Arguing about definitions is silly when European markets define it as a controlling dominant force and not necessarily having 99% or more market share; a description which fits Google.

EU priorities goes like this: consumers > small-medium businesses > corporations. That's just the way it is. The less power you have the more protection you will be given. That's just European ideals. No way around it. Google knows this and so does every company who does business in the EU.

It's uncertain how much influence Google's manipulation of search results in their favor have had but it was still stupid to attempt it.  It's considered hostile to consumer interests and that's what's causes the EU to lay down the law.

This is probably not the last fine Google will receive. They're still under investigation for other businesses.

23 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Cash grab for what? 2 billion is a drop in the bucket. Wasn't the UK just complaining about sending 300 million pounds a week to the EU. That's one member paying Google's fine in less than two months perpetually.

Keep servers in the EU but not their business - what does this even mean? The only reason to establish servers in the EU is to serve the European market and that market is probably the most lucrative in the world. No company in their right mind would exit that market.

Google's search engine dominance far outweighs Microsoft's operating system dominance. They are the de facto standard. Bing (probably the largest competitor) is irrelevant. Google dictates what happens. They can pick and choose who wins and loses. That's why people call it a monopoly. It's a controlling entity. Arguing about definitions is silly when European markets define it as a controlling dominant force and not necessarily having 99% or more market share; a description which fits Google.

EU priorities goes like this: consumers > small-medium businesses > corporations. That's just the way it is. The less power you have the more protection you will be given. That's just European ideals. No way around it. Google knows this and so does every company who does business in the EU.

It's uncertain how much influence Google's manipulation of search results in their favor have had but it was still stupid to attempt it.  It's considered hostile to consumer interests and that's what's causes the EU to lay down the law.

This is probably not the last fine Google will receive. They're still under investigation for other businesses.

#EUCashGrab get while the getting is good have to pay for those expenditures some how. Might as well make competition fair for companies that choose to be lazy. Must be time to dictate what a company does because people would rather search on Google then the competition, better not just let the competition innovate and bring customers back let's just go for the cash grab. 

20 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

#EUCashGrab get while the getting is good have to pay for those expenditures some how. Might as well make competition fair for companies that choose to be lazy. Must be time to dictate what a company does because people would rather search on Google then the competition, better not just let the competition innovate and bring customers back let's just go for the cash grab. 

Edit: doubt the EU gives a damn about it's people if it did, it wouldn't try to silence their speech and take away the right to bare arms. Seems like they don't want anyone but themselves turning their citizens into cucks.

I don't think anyone can do anything to make a dent in Google's market share. It's just so heavily ingrained.

I think all citizens have the right to bare arms. In fact my arms are bare right now. Joking aside: many European countries haven't had civilian access to firearms (or very limited access rather) before or after the EU so that has nothing to do with the EU. It's really not a policy that's a cause for debate. So in essence you can't take away something that isn't there. And I won't go into what I think of the right to bear arms as that's completely off topic and you know it. It's bait if anything.

Free speech is a complex issue and while there are EU laws on the subject I find that member states govern that more in reality and therefore you have to call out individual states for violation of those rights if you have any examples. If anything, I find the public sentiment to be more limiting to free speech than actual laws. The same goes for North America so I don't see the issue as you describe it.

And can you please stop casually throwing the word 'cuck' around. It makes no sense (especially in this context) and makes you sound intellectually challenged which I assume you're not so I would advise not to give people that impression. But that word alone is very revealing though. Very revealing indeed.

23 minutes ago, MadyTehWolfie said:

Edit: doubt the EU gives a damn about it's people if it did, it wouldn't try to silence their speech and take away the right to bare arms. Seems like they don't want anyone but themselves turning their citizens into cucks.

Please don't try to turn this thread into a general rant against the EU.  Especially not from a perspective that treats the US as the center of the universe and the American system of government as divine perfection.

My issue with this whole thing is that this whole investigation is kind of ludicrous. They're investigating Google for anticompetative practices, using their dominant market position in search to elevate themselves and partner companies, that increased competition in online shopping? Like really?

There's a reason why Google's defence was basically "Look, this is Amazon's market dominance before we started pushing our shopping system, this is Amazon's and our market dominance now. Notice how combining our market dominance with Amazon's still doesn't equal what Amazon's stranglehold used to be?"

Fining a company massive amounts of money on the basis of being anticompetative, when they are directly responsible for increased competition, is more than a little ludicrous.

I thought politics were banned on LTT. This entire thread is just a shitshow where people are trying to push their political ideologies and name-calling those who disagree. 

feels like we should be getting some fat tax refunds...

but we're not?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K