Google hit with record EU fine over Shopping service

I_Need_a_PC

Google has been fined €2.4bn ($2.7bn; £2.1bn) by the European Commission after it ruled the company had abused its power by promoting its own shopping comparison service at the top of search results.

The amount is the regulator's largest penalty to date against a company accused of distorting the market.

The ruling also orders Google to end its anti-competitive practices within 90 days or face a further penalty.

The US company may decide to appeal.

Google had previously suggested that Amazon and eBay had more influence over the public's spending habits and that the commission's views "failed to fit the reality of how most people shop online".

However, the decision could set a precedent that determines how the EU's civil service handles related complaints about the prominence Google gives to its own maps, flight price results and local business listings within its search tools.

The Commission has reportedly been investigating Google since 2010, as result of complaints made by Microsoft and others. 

While this is a good step to creating a fairer internet for businesses, the fine is of course very small for the monster of alphabet, which has $172bn of assets. 

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40406542

10 minutes ago, I_Need_a_PC said:

The Commission has reportedly been investigating Google since 2010, as result of complaints made by Microsoft and others. 

While this is a good step to creating a fairer internet for businesses, the fine is of course very small for the monster of alphabet, which has $172bn of assets. 

Don't mistake assets for expendable liquid cash.  Although I am sure they could pay it and move on.  It's not always  a carefree option.

Also I still think this is a BS move by the EU. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 minutes ago, mr moose said:

Also I still think this is a BS move by the EU. 

Why?

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

I'm sure this is a repost from something a few weeks ago

Edit: repost of this?

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications

Google is a private company that provides a free service.

It should be in their rights to promote themselves or their services.

Looks like a BS move to me aswell.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

31 minutes ago, revsilverspine said:

Google is a private company that provides a free service.

It should be in their rights to promote themselves or their services.

Looks like a BS move to me aswell.

They have a monopoly in search engines. It is a standard now so they can't do those things.

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S6

31 minutes ago, Eniqmatic said:

I'm sure this is a repost from something a few weeks ago

Edit: repost of this?

Not a straight repost. It's the same case, just that Google was found guilty a few weeks ago, and now the formal verdict and punishment has been handed down (and turned out to be a bigger fine than anticipated).

40 minutes ago, LUUD18 said:

They have a monopoly in search engines. It is a standard now so they can't do those things.

It isn't a monopoly, there are other options just none as good as Google.

59 minutes ago, LUUD18 said:

They have a monopoly in search engines.

No, they don't. Bing is actually a pretty big competing engine, even if bing.com isn't used directly that much. Siri and Yahoo are two out of a long list of services that offer search, that are either using the Bing engine or are just a reskin of the Bing engine.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

No, they don't. Bing is actually a pretty big competing engine, even if bing.com isn't used directly that much. Siri and Yahoo are two out of a long list of services that offer search, that are either using the Bing engine or are just a reskin of the Bing engine.

They are still by far the biggest search engine.

PC: Case: Cooler Master CM690 II - PSU: Cooler Master G650M - RAM: Transcend 4x 8Gb DDR3 1333Mhz - MoBo: Gigabyte Z87x-D3H - CPU: i5 4670K @ 4.5Ghz - GPU: MSI GTX1060 ARMOR OC - Hard disks: 4x 500Gb Seagate enterprise in RAID 0 - SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb

Also another thing to keep in mind is that Google is NOT a search engine company, they are an advertising company first and foremost.

-KuJoe

Just now, LUUD18 said:

They are still by far the biggest search engine.

But not by a large margin.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

1 minute ago, Drak3 said:

But not by a large margin.

Uuuhm 65% of the people use google while only 33% use bing. That is a large margin imo.

5 minutes ago, LUUD18 said:

Uuuhm 65% of the people use google while only 33% use bing. That is a large margin imo.

That's only looking at those who use bing.com. Like I said, Bing is the engine used widely in other "search" engines, like Yahoo, as well as the engine driving Siri and Cortana. Bing's usage is higher than people think.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Does it really matter how big Google is? Google's search engine is a free, public service. How much traffic they get shouldn't matter how they run their company as long as it's not against any laws in the country they are based in.

-KuJoe

this reminds me when Microsoft got hit with an anti-trust suit and lost because they included internet explorer as a pack in product with Windows.

The other browser makers were upset that it gave MS an unfair advantage.

I would have no issue using Bing should Microsoft have done it at least decent, that thing sucks as bad as the Internet Explorer.

Google is just practical, though it is up to who's searching to have some critical thinking and not just accept blindly whatever Google shows... I'm not sure whether I agree or not here, depends whether this billionaire fine money will serve any good end at all or get wasted on political bullshit.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

promoting its own shopping comparison service at the top of search results

That's like saying that they are promoting their own search engine service at the top of search results :P 

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

40 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Yahoo is virtually unused in Europe, it's vastly more popular in the US.

Most of that market share is instead held by Google. Overall, Google has a stranglehold on the search market in Europe.

It's not a monopoly in the strict 100% market share sense, but it easily qualifies as a monopoly in legal terms - it has oodles of monopoly power (monopoly power can come into play even with market shares under 50%, let alone the >90% market share Google search has in Europe).

32 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Does it really matter how big Google is? Google's search engine is a free, public service. How much traffic they get shouldn't matter how they run their company as long as it's not against any laws in the country they are based in.

But this is against the law. Also, it's not about what country they are based in. Would you like it if some African company could sell asbestos stuff in the US or Europe just because it was legal in the country they're based in? Most laws apply to the things you're doing in the country where you're doing them. If an American company does something in Europe, it must abide by European laws. If a European company does something in the US, it must abide by American laws.

7 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

But this is against the law. Also, it's not about what country they are based in. Would you like it if some African company could sell asbestos stuff in the US or Europe just because it was legal in the country they're based in? Most laws apply to the things you're doing in the country where you're doing them. If an American company does something in Europe, it must abide by European laws. If a European company does something in the US, it must abide by American laws.

Not true, the US can ban the company from selling products/services but fining then instead of outright banning them or pulling their products is just wrong. Forcing an online company to adhere to every law in every country is just sick in so many ways. But who cares about small businesses right? Today Google is the target, tomorrow it could be LMG because their forums or videos violate some obscure law in some city 5000 miles away with a population of 100.

-KuJoe

1 hour ago, revsilverspine said:

Not exactly. It is the go-to search engine for a vast majority, but it's not the only one.

Reveal hidden contents

Limitation on balloon usage. According to EU rules from 1988 children under the age of 8 can not use latex balloons without a supervising parent. And text on the latex balloons must have such a warning on them. This requirement has been set to avoid death and injuries, but...come on! We've all played with balloons and other stuff, why should some regulate this crap? Sorry, but that's nonsense.
Whistle blowers, that scroll out into a a long colored paper tongue when sounded � have now been classified as unsafe for all children under 14. Seriously? Children at the age of 14 are having sex already, but they are not allowed to use whistle blowers? 
Eurocrats ban small fruit. While they claim whatever they claim, they are doing it and it is stupid. Even though they call it a myth, they have come up with regulations here. "The diameter of the fruit is a way of measuring its maturity/development. Fruit grown organically or conventionally have to reach a certain degree of maturity in order to have a reasonable chance of satisfying the consumer." - who is EU to tell me what satisfies me? If I don't like what I see, I simply don't buy it. What if I actually wanted to buy tiny fruits? 
2-for-1 bargains to be banned. There was a news article about it at some point. While EU calls it a myth again, I wouldn't exactly agree with it. They are thinking about it. "This is highly speculative. An expert advisory group made up of EU Member State representatives is producing a series of reports on various options for the development of a single market in commercial communications. These do not represent the 'definitive' view of the Commission, nor is the outcome clear. Only once the group has reported will the Commission work on a Communication setting out its own view." - and that's nonsense. Someone should be shot just for thinking about it. Whom does it actually hurt? 
On the same note...EU rules ban sale of 'too small' kiwis. A wholesaler was banned from selling a consignment of kiwis due to the fact that based on EU laws they were too small. The wholesaler said that he wasn't even permitted to give away the 5,000 Chilean fruits. The required minimum kiwi weight is 62g, but his were mostly 58g. Read more about that at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2199214/EU-rules-ban-sale-of-too-small-kiwis.html. Ain't that simply stupid?
European Union wants to hold programmers liable for software failures. According to what I know, this didn't pass. But again, convicting Bill Gates or any of his programmers for my faulty Microsoft Windows, come on! What's next? If a website doesn't work perfectly and loads too long, I can sue the creator and the owner as an accomplish?

1 hour ago, FirstArmada said:

It isn't a monopoly, there are other options just none as good as Google.

It doesn't matter if there are alternatives. 

At ~80% market share, google legally has a monopoly, both in the eu and us. Monopoly power doesn't require 100% market share. The uk, for example, sets the monopoly market share threshold at 25% for a single firm. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

4 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Not true, the US can ban the company from selling products/services but fining then instead of outright banning them or pulling their products is just wrong. Forcing an online company to adhere to every law in every country is just sick in so many ways. But who cares about small businesses right? Today Google is the target, tomorrow it could be LMG because their forums or videos violate some obscure law in some city 5000 miles away with a population of 100.

A) Laws are set by country, so the example you gave for lmg couldn't happen. 

B) any company must adhere to the laws in the countries they operate in. They don't have to adhere to us law in the eu and vice versa. 

I don't see the problem here. 

If google doesn't want to operate in a country due to local laws, they should cease operations there. Simple as that. 

Small businesses typically don't operate in multiple countries, so it doesn't affect them. 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Just now, KuJoe said:

Not true, the US can ban the company from selling products/services but fining then instead of outright banning them is just wrong. Forcing an online company to adhere to every law in every country is just sick in so many ways. But who cares about small businesses right? Today Google is the target, tomorrow it could be LMG because their forums or videos violate some obscure law in some city 5000 miles away with a population of 100.

This is total nonsense. Of course the US can fine companies too, and it does it all the time. The Swiss company Hoffman-La Roche was fined $500 million by the US DoJ in 1999 ($734 million in 2017 money). The Japanese company Bridgestone was fined $425 million by the US DoJ in 2014. Air France and a few other European airlines were fined $505 million in 2008. And so on.

Thread cleaned.

While I understand this has some politics related to it, political discussion are still disallowed;

No Trolling

• This includes flame wars such as NVIDIA vs AMD, political or religious debate.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !