Guys my internet is 30+/5+ but when my switch is connected ...

DeViLzzz

Guys my internet is 30+/5+ but when my switch is connected it is limiting it to 22+/5+.  What is going on here and what can I do about it?  All items using my internet are wired.  I have a modem, router and switch for this network. 

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I take it the switch is rated for 100MB speeds and not gigabit speeds.

CPU: 3570K @ 4.3Ghz MOBO: ASUS P8z77-v Deluxe RAM: 2-4GB Gskill GPU: EVGA 670 FTW SSD: Vertex 4 256 Case: CM HAF 932

My switch is rated for Gigabit Ethernet.  I had researched what I needed before I got this. 

The model I have is the Dynex DX-GB8PRT. 

I did not know I had problems with my internet until I started having issues with Twitch cuz I thought I had told my provider to lower my internet to 20/10 (20/5 cuz of Cogeco) and they did not.  It is still supposed to be 30/10 (30/5 cuz of Cogeco) and is when I don't have the switch involved with things.

Unfortunately the model I bought only came with French instructions and so I am having to find English ones now.

One of the costumer reviews said this:

"The Dynex 8 port Gigabit switch works well if all the ports are the same speed. Hower, when some of the ports are 1000bps and some are 100bps it drops some of the 1000bps ports to the lower 100bps. It starts all the ports at the proper speed for a few seconds then drops some to a lower speed. I replaced the switch with another brand and no longer have this problem."

I don't know if this has to do with your problem or not.

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

Ok what is going on with this site?  Why is it impossible to provide links now?  I am trying to share a link to the guide for this switch.  Also I can't even quote the post from the guy above me.  I am using IE.

Update: Switched to Google and things were fine. :P

One of the costumer reviews said this:

"The Dynex 8 port Gigabit switch works well if all the ports are the same speed. Hower, when some of the ports are 1000bps and some are 100bps it drops some of the 1000bps ports to the lower 100bps. It starts all the ports at the proper speed for a few seconds then drops some to a lower speed. I replaced the switch with another brand and no longer have this problem."

I don't know if this has to do with your problem or not.

I am only using my pc right now though.  Now there is a phone modem or whatever hooked up to my network also for voip so maybe that is causing the issue?

I also remember seeing this customer review before. LOL  I got this switch super cheap so no big loss if I have to get a replacement but want to try and make this work.

I am only using my pc right now though.  Now there is a phone modem or whatever hooked up to my network also for voip so maybe that is causing the issue?

I also remember seeing this customer review before. LOL  I got this switch super cheap so no big loss if I have to get a replacement but want to try and make this work.

It shouldn't bring the speed down by that much.

"When in doubt, don't take your wallet out." - Dad

† TTCF Member †

Well the switch is obviously useless.  I also found out that ants had been making a home in the switch.  When I shook it they started marching out with some carrying eggs. LOL

On (orange) 10/100 Mbps device is connected to corresponding port.

Flashing (orange) 10/100 Mbps device is transmitting or receiving data through the corresponding port.
On (green) 1000 Mbps device is connected to the corresponding port.

Flashing (green) 1000 Mbps device is transmitting or receiving data through the corresponding port.

Eh when I hooked the router to the switch it was showing that it was a 10/100 Mbps device connected.  Router may be the issue.

I thought it might be the router that is the issue.

http://www.dlink.com/ca/en/home-solutions/connect/routers/dir-615-wireless-n-300-router

The router has 10/100 LAN and WAN port.  No Gigabit mentioned.  

How is it though that when my pc is connected to the router I am having no speed issues?  I am getting the 30/10 (30/5).  This is just strange.

If I hook up the switch to the network I end up having to plug the router into the switch and it degrades things right away.

I think I need a router that supports Gigabit for this switch to work at Gigabit speeds cuz I need all devices at Gigabit otherwise it starts to slow things down just like xrex64 said some guy mentioned partially on here ...

http://www.amazon.com/GIGABIT-ETHERNET-SWITCH-DX-GB8PRT-PACKAGING/product-reviews/B004MF1BZW

He didn't say the router he had was his problem but I am guessing that it is.  If all devices you have do not support Gigabit then the switch degrades performance and again my router does not support Gigabit.

To make things simpler and with it looking like my switch is only happy when it has all 10/100 or all Gigabit devices connected to it in order to make it work without destroying my internet connection I have decided to sell off my current router and switch and go with an 8 port or higher (if there is such a thing) router.  Any recommendations?  

.. but if you think I have missed something in regards to this switch situation let me know cuz I would rather not spend money but if I have to I will.

Ugghh it seems 8 port routers are rare? Wth? 

I have an Xbox 360, a PS3, 2 pcs and voip phone box (taking up 2 freaking ports) on my router and yes the router is wireless but I hate wireless.  I don't want to use it.  Seriously why can't this stupid switch just work like I thought it was intended to?  I don't understand how hooking up my router and pc to the switch should cause a 33% degradation in my internet connection. It is absurd.