Hi,

So, I finally decided to test to see how well this chip overclocks but I think I got bad luck with this chip.

I'm getting 77 degrees max with only a 1.1 core voltage setting and only a multiplier of 42

This is on an MSI z97 pc mate board with an i7 4790k cooled with a corsair h60.

I mean, the h60 certainly isn't the best radiator but I expected to get to at least 1.25 before seeing temperatures like that.

It gets to 1.25 on idle and stock settings (no overclock) just fine but I can see the chip thermal throttles down to 3.6 ghz on stock settings with prime95 running..

I've turned turbo off, I changed it to fixed instead of dynamic and only changed the vcore and multiplier.. nothing else.

Am I doing something wrong, or did I just get bad luck with my chip?

Is this really normal with an h60 at 1.1v?

(the screenshot is of the prime95 test with the overclock max temp results not of the test without the OC)

shitty temps.png

No, single rad AIOs are horrible, even worse than air coolers the same price.

They are not worth buying.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, stateofpsychosis said:

Hi,

So, I finally decided to test to see how well this chip overclocks but I think I got bad luck with this chip.

I'm getting 77 degrees max with only a 1.1 core voltage setting and only a multiplier of 42

This is on an MSI z97 pc mate board with an i7 4790k cooled with a corsair h60.

I mean, the h60 certainly isn't the best radiator but I expected to get to at least 1.25 before seeing temperatures like that.

It gets to 1.25 on idle and stock settings (no overclock) just fine but I can see the chip thermal throttles down to 3.6 ghz on stock settings with prime95 running..

I've turned turbo off, I changed it to fixed instead of dynamic and only changed the vcore and multiplier.. nothing else.

Am I doing something wrong, or did I just get bad luck with my chip?

Is this really normal with an h60 at 1.1v?

Welcome to the Forums

Use a stress test like Adia 64 or make sure prime 95 is setup to not overdo it on the stress test since it can bump voltage more than what it's suppose to. The H60 is mediocre as an AIO, matches similar to a medium tower cooler. 

Still that seems too hot for 1.1v

I do plan on upgrading the radiator but I have to buy a new case to do that so it's on the backburner for now.

I use a Corsair H100i v2. At first I wanted to get a single radiator but was told that if I wanted to overclock, I'd see really bad temps regardless of the voltage increases or stock speeds. if you want to see a better increase, try reapplying thermal paste, cleaning out the radiator and fan, or just buying a new dual or tri-fan radiator.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

A low end rad is like a mid-end air cooler so don't be surprised if its not what you expected.

Diamond 5 in League :)

I did not know this about prime95. What setting do I change?

I guess I should stop being cheap and just pay for adia64 :P

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

No, single rad AIOs are horrible, even worse than air coolers the same price.

They are not worth buying.

Where do people get this shit from... Not true. In some scenarios, yes but there are good 120-140mm AIOs out there.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Okay, I'm definitely going back to stock settings for now until I buy a corsair 750d or something I can fit a decent rad into.

I'll probably wait for a sale. Thanks guys!

1 minute ago, stateofpsychosis said:

I did not know this about prime95. What setting do I change?

I guess I should stop being cheap and just pay for adia64 :P

You don't really need to pay for AIDA64. I just used the trial version to stress test and didn't really see any difference.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

7 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Where do people get this shit from... Not true. In some scenarios, yes but there are good 120-140mm AIOs out there.

This thing called "benchmarks" which can be easily found on the internet, showing that although a single rad AIO costs as much as a high end air cooler, the high end air coolers perform closer to a 240mm AIO, significantly better than the 120mm AIO.

I would suggest using this very useful tool called google to obtain more information on this subject ;)

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It's just weird because 1.1 is where you start testing for god sakes so I really don't think it should be that hot especially since this thing goes to 1.25  4.4ghz on stock settings with no termp problems.

I expected this at maybe 1.2 but this is pretty darn bad.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

This thing called "benchmarks" which can be easily found on the internet, showing that although a single rad AIO costs as much as a high end air cooler, the high end air coolers perform closer to a 240mm AIO, significantly better than the 120mm AIO.

I would suggest using this very useful tool called google to obtain more information on this subject ;)

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

My single rad hits 90c at 1.39V on a 4690k.

Make sure its mounted right, make sure you took the plastic cover off, make sure theres thermal paste lol...

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN RESPONDING

Please Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It. Take Time & Explain

New TOS RUINED the meme that used to be below :( 

5 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Image result for h60 temperature

Core temperature (60 W Load)

Core temperature (100 W Load)

Core temperature (150 W Load)

Core temperature (200 W Load)

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

not one which I would consider a good 120/140mm and some of those are half the price of the "good" AIOs

3 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

not one which I would consider a good 120/140mm and some of those are half the price of the "good" AIOs

H60 costs nearly as much as an NH-D14...and performs worse...and is louder...

No, single rad AIOs are NOT worth it, everyone knows this already.

Either get an air cooler or save up a bit more and go with 240/280.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

H60 costs nearly as much as an NH-D14...and performs worse...and is louder...

No, single rad AIOs are NOT worth it, everyone knows this already.

Either get an air cooler or save up a bit more and go with 240/280.

So H60 is equal to every 120 or 140mm RAD? Nice one my man.  Also only 2 of your graphs you posted look even remotely viable. 4 of them are at idle temps and look like this

emh, from my calculation because the air cooler clearly detailed in the green color equates to 99.9% better overall idle temperatures. 

The CM Seidon 120V can be found for $40-$50 quite often along with in none of these graphs are the NZXT X41 or X42. Some other options from CM, EVGA and Deepcool are also good options if found onsale or below $60 which is more often than not

for the record, I got the H60 on sale for only 20 dollars more than an evo 212 so it made sense at the time since I can't fit anything bigger in a corsair 200r anyways. I'm going to wait for sales on bigger cases and just put an h100 or something bigger in it. I only spent like 60 bucks on this case anyways. I'll get something that has ample room to add more rads as I go this time if I want to do a custom loop later. 

Anyways, aida64 reported back about 70 degrees on a FPU only stress test which is about 7-10 degrees cooler than the prime95 stress test  That sounds more in line with the max temperatures I experience at full load doing any tasks that max out the cpu. Prime95 does overdo it.