USA Supreme Court unanimously rules that access to social media is a constitutionally-protected right

Delicieuxz

The US Supreme Court just ruled that using social media is a constitutional right

Public space in the digital age has no shape and no physical place. But the US Supreme Court is now sorting out what that means for free-speech rights. Today (June 19), the justices unanimously held that states can’t broadly limit access to social media because cyberspace “is one of the most important places to exchange views.”

In Packingham v. North Carolina, the justices were asked to review a North Carolina statute that bars sex offenders from accessing social media altogether and makes it a felony if they post on any platform. The case has implications for all members of American society, however, not just sex offenders, and the court appears to be extremely conscious of the broader effect.

“A fundamental First Amendment principle is that all persons have access to places where they can speak and listen, and then, after reflection, speak and listen once more,” Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote. Given the fact that social-media platforms in particular allow for this kind of free communication, and that the constitution protects the right to exchange, the justices recognized this case was widely societally important, with Kennedy writing:

Here, in one of the first cases the Court has taken to address the relationship between the First Amendment and the modern Internet, the Court must exercise extreme caution before suggesting that the First Amendment provides scant protection for access to vast networks in that medium.”

Acknowledging that every advance in technology leads to new abuses by criminals, the notion that states can bar access altogether is anathema to the high court. The opinion noted that convicted criminals, perhaps more than others, would benefit from joining the societal conversation. The justices write:

Social media allows users to gain access to information and communicate with one another on any subject that might come to mind. With one broad stroke, North Carolina bars access to what for many are the principal sources for knowing current events, checking ads for employment, speaking and listening in the modern public square, and otherwise exploring the vast realms of human thought and knowledge.

The opinion issued today reflects the sentiments justices expressed during oral arguments in March. They noted then, during a comically postmodern session, that social media is where civic life takes place today. As justice Elena Kagan put it then, “Everybody is on Twitter.”

Today, they decided that “foreclosing access to social media altogether thus prevents users from engaging in the legitimate exercise of First Amendment rights. Even convicted criminals—and in some instances especially convicted criminals—might receive legitimate benefits from these means for access to the world of ideas, particularly if they seek to reform and to pursue lawful and rewarding lives.”

Well, interesting. I don't really have a lot of thought about this. I suppose it's good. I'm tired.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Was an overly broad law, which seems to mostly be why they took the case and decided they way they did. SCOTUS generally tries to avoid getting into topics too early. The law in question completely barred access.  Expect "contact restrictions" to apply generally, however.

What it sound like is that you cant just taka a group of peoples rights away and social media is considered a place where you can practice free speach.

Just now, Tibbles said:

ok but I don't understand why anyone would give a fuck about social media in the first place

also social media is fake news :3c

its a protected terrorism platform that many countries want to control, which is logical, but at the same time invades normal citizens privacy at risk.

1 minute ago, Tibbles said:

ok but I don't understand why anyone would give a fuck about social media in the first place

also social media is fake news :3c

Because social media is part of the internet. If you don't care about free speech being banned from social media, than you could as well stop caring about both free speech and the Internet, and move to North-Korea.

Be safe, don't drink and sudo

Laptop: ASUS K541UA (i5-6198DU, 8GB RAM, 250GB 850 EVO) OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

Desktop: i7-7700, ASUS Strix H270F, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD from laptop, some HDD's, iGPU, some NIC's, OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

15 minutes ago, 101dmrs said:

free speech being banned

The sad sad fact is, Facebook and Google are the first to censor it. Very sad!!!!!!!!! :(

Next is Microsoft and everyone else falls in line.

Those companies want to force upon society their own beliefs and values, plus they wanted Hitlery as the commander & chief so now its "Fake News" being the target.

If some dumb fuck wants to pay their IRS/CRA tax bill in i-tunes gift cards because the police are on their way, I dont care unless they do it to someone I know, my friends or family. Why isnt anyone doing anything about more important and pressing matters. There are way more of those. Unregulated Vapor industry, Unregulated ETF, Unregulated Pet Food, Predatory Lending Practices, Child molestation in religous outfits, elder abuse in old age homes, fentonol, illegal people in our country taking away jobs from citizens, the drug war. Heck even sectors of the banking industry have not changed since the bail out of the big banks. Though that is truelly an American problem. Canada's has been secure.

9 minutes ago, 101dmrs said:

Because social media is part of the internet. If you don't care about free speech being banned from social media, than you could as well stop caring about both free speech and the Internet, and move to North-Korea.

i don't think there is a real limit to free speech like many people like to suggest. in a way me killing someone can be seen as free speech, im expressing my opinion physically. free speech isn't a neatly defined range, its always there in various degrees no matter the platform.

also the north korea argument is so defeatist and simplistic. its also a logical fallacy, ergo decedo.

2 minutes ago, Tibbles said:

social media and censorship goes hand-in hand

1 minute ago, yathis said:

The sad sad fact is, Facebook and Google are the first to censor it. Very sad!!!!!!!!! :(

Next is Microsoft and everyone else falls in line.

Than start using encryption, opensource and selfhosted. Why pay for something that you even can't fully control. The more big companies will censor, the faster they'll fall.

Desktop: i7-7700, ASUS Strix H270F, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD from laptop, some HDD's, iGPU, some NIC's, OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

19 minutes ago, Sinole said:

the only law in the glass is the one that teacher sets lol.

it shouldn't be a democracy.

Classrooms are not dictatorships 

The School Board has rule over the teachers and the State Government has rule over the school board. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

I dont use social media, I think its outright stupid.

Look what I had for dinner.

Look at this.

Look at that.

Fuck 'em with their Look at me shit, Egoism at its best. Self Centeredness at its best.

I feel sorry for the children and babies that are forced into it. Pictures.

But when it comes to online bullying that is a real problem, some have committed suicide, but thats an area of parenting in most respects and very little with laws/enforcement. Maybe deterrants to scare them lil uns. Lay the books on them so it makes the news and acts as a deterrant for up and comers.

2 minutes ago, tlink said:

i don't think there is a real limit to free speech like many people like to suggest. in a way me killing someone can be seen as free speech, im expressing my opinion physically. free speech isn't a neatly defined range, its always there in various degrees no matter the platform.

also the north korea argument is so defeatist and simplistic. its also a logical fallacy, ergo decedo.

Well, then you're violating the other persons right to live, which is more fundamental than free speech

And, yeah, the north korea argument wasn't great.

Just now, 101dmrs said:

Well, then you're violating the other persons right to live, which is more fundamental than free speech

And, yeah, the north korea argument wasn't great.

exactly my point. you're always going to infringe someones freedom to express themselves. and you're always going to infringe someone's right to live.

2 minutes ago, tlink said:

exactly my point. you're always going to infringe someones freedom to express themselves. and you're always going to infringe someone's right to live.

yeah, but you're not solving the problem with banning bad people from social media, as they will find an other way to communicate, and the normal people will be left with the mess. People should stop trying to force stop people from doing things and start making the bad guys understand they doing bad. just as you will not solve the drugs problem with the war on drugs, but with rehab and reducing the demand for drugs. By banning it, you're just hiding it and making it worse, instead of stopping it

Just now, 101dmrs said:

yeah, but you're not solving the problem with banning bad people from social media, as they will find an other way to communicate, and the normal people will be left with the mess. People should stop trying to force stop people from doing things and start making the bad guys understand they doing bad. just as you will not solve the drugs problem with the war on drugs, but with rehab and reducing the demand for drugs. By banning it, you're just hiding it and making it worse, instead of stopping it

im not saying i disagree with you, just that its not a good way to think about freedom.

4 minutes ago, tlink said:

im not saying i disagree with you, just that its not a good way to think about freedom.

I'm not totally getting the 'just that its not a good way to think about freedom' part. You mean I'm saying free speech is unconditional, no matter what? Well that was not the intention. Just wanted to make the contrast to 'no free speech' and point out that if you stop caring about a part of something, it's easy to stop caring about the whole thing. You gotta defend the things you got. You might lose them anyway, but you'll have left a message. If you just 'stop caring', you've already lost. Facebook and the like, may be a total mess, but it's still a part of the whole. You may not like the look of you ears, well, you can't just cut them off. You gotta live with it, try making the best off it.

Anyway, I'm glad this is a thing. Anyone got any ideas about how this affects Trumps tweets?

Edited by wkdpaul
Cleaned up

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

1 hour ago, Sinole said:

the only law in the glass is the one that teacher sets lol.

it shouldn't be a democracy. Only dictatorship works in classroom. just like army

Its not dictatorship if one person decide stuff, but that one person is chosen by multiple.
Army and classroms is not dictatorships.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

3 hours ago, tlink said:

Except it isn't.  Speech would involve, well, speech.  

There is a somewhat neatly defined range because in order for one to "use speech," they'd have to use their voice.  

Granted, you are half correct.  How one uses said voice isn't a neatly defined range.  For example, because there's no clear definition of said speech, "fuck you," and "have a nice day," should both be protected.

But you killing someone isn't a form of free speech, as you can't use your voice to physically kill someone.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Thread cleaned.

Please keep it on-topic.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Now if only they would vote that access to the internet must be equal :/ 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

Well, the justice system already limits a persons rights. For example the sex offender example there are already limitations on their ability to assemble in certain places, so I don't see how there can't be limitation in the online world. Now enforcement would be more difficult.

5 hours ago, 101dmrs said:

I'm not totally getting the 'just that its not a good way to think about freedom' part. You mean I'm saying free speech is unconditional, no matter what? Well that was not the intention. Just wanted to make the contrast to 'no free speech' and point out that if you stop caring about a part of something, it's easy to stop caring about the whole thing. You gotta defend the things you got. You might lose them anyway, but you'll have left a message. If you just 'stop caring', you've already lost. Facebook and the like, may be a total mess, but it's still a part of the whole. You may not like the look of you ears, well, you can't just cut them off. You gotta live with it, try making the best off it.

its a slippery slope fallacy though.. just because free speech on social media is limited doesn't mean that free speech in general is limited nor that the person not caring about free speech on social media doesn't care about free speech in general. like i said, its a sliding scale not an absolute.

6 hours ago, 101dmrs said:

If you don't care about free speech being banned from social media, than you could as well stop caring about both free speech and the Internet

36 minutes ago, Ertman said:

Well, the justice system already limits a persons rights. For example the sex offender example there are already limitations on their ability to assemble in certain places, so I don't see how there can't be limitation in the online world. Now enforcement would be more difficult.

Its not just the sex offenders rights, rather that it could have much larger effects on others right to free speech in the future. 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5