8x NF-A14 indu. PWM on two MOBO headers? Will it blow up?

Metallus97
Go to solution Solved by Hiitchy,
Just now, Metallus97 said:

- SNIP -

I understand. unfortunately what it comes down to is these PWM headers only have so much voltage they can give, and so much they can handle. I'll give you an example:

I have a Corsair H100i v2 AIO cooler. The manual instructed that the fans should be plugged into the radiator so that they can be monitored through the software. In the same token, I noticed some weird grinding sounds while playing games. This was coming from the fans, but I thought it was coming from the radiator or pump. As it turns out, those two PWM fan headers from the radiator were being ran into 1 PWM fan header on the motherboard. The higher the fans go, the more power they require. The issue with this is that if they are running at a full 12V connection from the motherboard and splitting out to 2 PWM connections for the radiator fans, it means that the signal would be split to 6v for each fan. 6 volts to each fan would not be enough for them to ramp up to full speeds, which results in the grinding, or loss of power.

I can understand if you don't have space, but unfortunately there isn't much else I can suggest, so perhaps someone else can chime in with a better answer for you.

Hey guys a quick  question:

I have this MOBO: MSI Z87-GD65 https://de.msi.com/Motherboard/Z87-GD65-GAMING.html#hero-overview

It has 5x 4pin PWM headers.

But the silly thing is only 2 of them (the CPU ones) do support RPM settings under 50%

I want to run all my 8 NF-A14 indu under 50%.

So here is the question: Will atacing 4 of those fans be to much for one header?

I am plaining to do so with the noctua Y cabels.

Since i am running a full loop there a no other fans installed in my pc.

Thanks guys

FOLDING MONTH 2021! GOGOGO and save on some heating costs 🙂

It would be way too much power for one header to handle. If you were to get a fan controller with a power connector that goes to your power supply, you'd be able to control the fans individually through the controller. Or you can get a Silverstone 8 port fan header which connects 8 fans through a hub to 1 PWM header on your motherboard, and uses a sata connector for power.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Just now, Hiitchy said:

It would be way too much power for one header to handle. If you were to get a fan controller with a power connector that goes to your power supply, you'd be able to control the fans individually through the controller. Or you can get a Silverstone 8 port fan header which connects 8 fans through a hub to 1 PWM header on your motherboard, and uses a sata connector for power.

okokok thanks. will this silverstone box also give every fan the correct PWM signal? Can you shoot me a link?

and so 4x is allso to much for one header?

Yes, it will blow up, down, left, and right, depending on where you install your case fans.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Yes, it will blow up, down, left, and right, depending on where you install your case fans.

Damn. What if he just doesn't install case fans? xD

7 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

Damn. What if he just doesn't install case fans? xD

THEN my pc would blow up in every direction!

Those fans are all rad fans so... water above 100 C not cool

5 minutes ago, Metallus97 said:

okokok thanks. will this silverstone box also give every fan the correct PWM signal? Can you shoot me a link?

and so 4x is allso to much for one header?

Sorry, should have mentioned this before. I own one of these, it's great for what it's worth.

https://www.amazon.ca/SilverStone-Technology-All-Black-CPF04/dp/B00VNW556I/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498505884&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Silverstone+fan+controller+hub

As for controlling fans, it's 50/50, you may want to look into an alternative.

5 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

-snip-

As for controlling fans, it's 50/50, you may want to look into an alternative.

Hm? sorry i dont understand

and thanks fr the link

Hm? sorry i dont understand

and thanks or the link

Sorry, let me try this again:

So you originally asked if it were possible to find another way to control the fans and bring them below 50%. I missed this part of the topic. So what I would consider is finding a fan controller that fits your case, and using the fan controller itself to control the speeds. This is actually what I do with my PC fans. I don't think the Silverstone fan hub controller will work in this instance unless it is the 4 pin fans you are using. I would have to look into this for you. But as I said, I would recommend the fan controllers that fit in the case.

1 minute ago, Hiitchy said:

Sorry, let me try this again:

So you originally asked if it were possible to find another way to control the fans and bring them below 50%. I missed this part of the topic. So what I would consider is finding a fan controller that fits your case, and using the fan controller itself to control the speeds. This is actually what I do with my PC fans. I don't think the Silverstone fan hub controller will work in this instance unless it is the 4 pin fans you are using. I would have to look into this for you. But as I said, I would recommend the fan controllers that fit in the case.

Alright got you ;) sry xD

So: I am using all 4pin PWM fans. But i have read that many of those splitters etc have problems with giving the fans the correct PWM signal (although plugged in via a 4pin). 

As fo the fan controller: I simply dont have any room for a dedicated one and want to do it with software.

- SNIP -

I understand. unfortunately what it comes down to is these PWM headers only have so much voltage they can give, and so much they can handle. I'll give you an example:

I have a Corsair H100i v2 AIO cooler. The manual instructed that the fans should be plugged into the radiator so that they can be monitored through the software. In the same token, I noticed some weird grinding sounds while playing games. This was coming from the fans, but I thought it was coming from the radiator or pump. As it turns out, those two PWM fan headers from the radiator were being ran into 1 PWM fan header on the motherboard. The higher the fans go, the more power they require. The issue with this is that if they are running at a full 12V connection from the motherboard and splitting out to 2 PWM connections for the radiator fans, it means that the signal would be split to 6v for each fan. 6 volts to each fan would not be enough for them to ramp up to full speeds, which results in the grinding, or loss of power.

I can understand if you don't have space, but unfortunately there isn't much else I can suggest, so perhaps someone else can chime in with a better answer for you.

5 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

Got it thanks verry much dude!

ill try the hub then to get some additional power in ;)