New camera for photography

So I have a 600D but it's on it's way out so i'm looking for a new camera. Now I use it for photography, street and landscapes mostly. I'd ideally like something smaller than the 600D, it's quite big but still open to something like a 750D. I'm also open to moving from canon and I realise if I do it'll be somewhat more expensive by the time I buy the lenses. So what can you recommend me? £500-£800, not including additional lenses if I were to move from canon.

30 minutes ago, spook811 said:

So I have a 600D but it's on it's way out so i'm looking for a new camera. Now I use it for photography, street and landscapes mostly. I'd ideally like something smaller than the 600D, it's quite big but still open to something like a 750D. I'm also open to moving from canon and I realise if I do it'll be somewhat more expensive by the time I buy the lenses. So what can you recommend me? £500-£800, not including additional lenses if I were to move from canon.

If you want something smaller, I'd look at the fujifilm x-t20. I've handled it a bit, and although it isn't perfect, its a great travel and street camera. Its discreet, has a very nice sensor and feel, and I don't know, an x-factor I guess that just appeals to me. The touchscreen helps, even though the 750d is miles ahead in that regard, as well as battery life, reliability and ergonomics. 

If you do that, look at the 18-55mm kit lens rather than the 16-50mm and I'd look at getting a prime or two. Also, I'd invest in a couple of extra batteries. 

Now, to be clear, I would stick with the canon and go for something like an 800d (given you find the 600d to be a large camera going for an 80d is not really ideal.) Especially if you've invested in the system at all, a lens/flashgun etc. But, I can get the argument for a smaller, more discreet camera myself, so I'm providing you with the option. 

Here's why I'd go for fuji when it comes to cscs rather than sony or m4/3. 

m4/3 is simple, I find the sensor is just too small, the fuji has a respectable APS-C sensor. 

As far as sony is concerned, a FF offering costs more than your budget and is singnificantly bulkier. Also, sony has an incomplete system in my mind. Their APS-C lenses are too few and cover too little use, while their FF glass is overpriced, bulky and they still don't offer a wide enough range. 

The fuji system currently has enough glass, at a reasonable price, and great quality considering.., its by no means complete as the EF or nikon systems, but is sufficient in my mind. 

That said, the lack of a proper smart adapter is a huge disadvantage for fuji. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

23 minutes ago, cc143 said:

If you want something smaller, I'd look at the fujifilm x-t20. I've handled it a bit, and although it isn't perfect, its a great travel and street camera. Its discreet, has a very nice sensor and feel, and I don't know, an x-factor I guess that just appeals to me. The touchscreen helps, even though the 750d is miles ahead in that regard, as well as battery life, reliability and ergonomics. 

If you do that, look at the 18-55mm kit lens rather than the 16-50mm and I'd look at getting a prime or two. Also, I'd invest in a couple of extra batteries. 

Now, to be clear, I would stick with the canon and go for something like an 800d (given you find the 600d to be a large camera going for an 80d is not really ideal.) Especially if you've invested in the system at all, a lens/flashgun etc. But, I can get the argument for a smaller, more discreet camera myself, so I'm providing you with the option. 

Here's why I'd go for fuji when it comes to cscs rather than sony or m4/3. 

m4/3 is simple, I find the sensor is just too small, the fuji has a respectable APS-C sensor. 

As far as sony is concerned, a FF offering costs more than your budget and is singnificantly bulkier. Also, sony has an incomplete system in my mind. Their APS-C lenses are too few and cover too little use, while their FF glass is overpriced, bulky and they still don't offer a wide enough range. 

The fuji system currently has enough glass, at a reasonable price, and great quality considering.., its by no means complete as the EF or nikon systems, but is sufficient in my mind. 

That said, the lack of a proper smart adapter is a huge disadvantage for fuji. 

That fujifilms a nice camera, but a tad on the pricey side :/ 

As for canon, I have 2 lenses and that'd be about it that's specific to canon. Why the 800D over 750/760? From what I see it's pretty similar other than a higher ISO?

Yeah looking about a fair few aren't that happy with m4/3 and as you say Sony is just beyond my price point. The glass is far more expensive too.

Is there any others than the x-t20 you can recommend? 

EDIT: That said, they're a bit cheaper body only on ebay...

2 minutes ago, spook811 said:

That fujifilms a nice camera, but a tad on the pricey side :/ 

As for canon, I have 2 lenses and that'd be about it that's specific to canon. Why the 800D over 750/760? From what I see it's pretty similar other than a higher ISO?

Yeah looking about a fair few aren't that happy with m4/3 and as you say Sony is just beyond my price point. The glass is far more expensive too.

Is there any others than the x-t20 you can recommend? 

EDIT: That said, they're a bit cheaper body only on ebay...

Keep an eye on the fujifilm refurbished site, they sell pretty much new cameras, with warranty for a 10-15% discount. 

Also, I was looking at x-t20 prices today and they are under £800, although granted not by much. The issue is that you would be looking at an extra £300 to get a decent lens, although I would look through ebay for one. tbh. 

Tbh, we've pretty much covered all cscs in the price range, apart from Canon and their m5, which is very capable for the size and although EOS-M glass collection is sort of lackluster atm, you can get an EF adapter for pretty cheap..., however, I'm inclined to say its even more expensive than the fuji. 

The 800d has dual pixel AF, a better AF system altogether, better battery life, a new processor and is within your price range. Its also just a hair lighter and smaller and does 1 fps continuous shooting more, 6 fps for an entry level dslr was unheard of back when I started!, my first camera (350d) barely did 2.5... Also, FHD@ 60fps is quite a standard these days and may prove useful in the future, even if you don't currently shoot video. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

Awesome! Thanks for your help, I’ll shop around a bit and see what deals I can get. 

3 hours ago, cc143 said:

Keep an eye on the fujifilm refurbished site, they sell pretty much new cameras, with warranty for a 10-15% discount. 

Also, I was looking at x-t20 prices today and they are under £800, although granted not by much. The issue is that you would be looking at an extra £300 to get a decent lens, although I would look through ebay for one. tbh. 

Tbh, we've pretty much covered all cscs in the price range, apart from Canon and their m5, which is very capable for the size and although EOS-M glass collection is sort of lackluster atm, you can get an EF adapter for pretty cheap..., however, I'm inclined to say its even more expensive than the fuji. 

The 800d has dual pixel AF, a better AF system altogether, better battery life, a new processor and is within your price range. Its also just a hair lighter and smaller and does 1 fps continuous shooting more, 6 fps for an entry level dslr was unheard of back when I started!, my first camera (350d) barely did 2.5... Also, FHD@ 60fps is quite a standard these days and may prove useful in the future, even if you don't currently shoot video. 

I would not look at canon if you want mirrorless. Their DSLR's are way better imo. Mainly for lens selection as the EF-M line is like, pretty bad, and the adapter is well, okay but you will need it for all lenses. If you go Canon I'd just go for DSLR's as the 800D

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

On 2017-6-26 at 8:15 PM, cc143 said:

So I bought the x-t20 yesterday, it's a lovely piece of kit but very different from my 600D so I have a lot of learning to do. I stuck it in my bag to day to have aplay with in the day, go to work to find my water bottle leaked... So it bricked.

Got these last night though:

Spoiler

Fsi235m.jpg

t4AeSiq.jpg

9 minutes ago, spook811 said:

I stuck it in my bag to day to have aplay with in the day, go to work to find my water bottle leaked... So it bricked.

So you stuck an expensive piece of electronic with a water bottle in the same bag?  How unfortunate.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

15 minutes ago, spook811 said:

So I bought the x-t20 yesterday, it's a lovely piece of kit but very different from my 600D so I have a lot of learning to do. I stuck it in my bag to day to have aplay with in the day, go to work to find my water bottle leaked... So it bricked.

That sucks, is it completely dead?

What lens did you end up getting with it?

3 hours ago, cc143 said:

That sucks, is it completely dead?

What lens did you end up getting with it?

Not completely no, it’s been sat in rice most of the day and it turned on this evening, but the front dial and shutter button doesn’t work... oh at it set at F0 apparently... so yeah waiting to hear back from Fuji, but may be a contents insurance claim. I went with the cheaper kit lens, 16-50mm.

3 hours ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

So you stuck an expensive piece of electronic with a water bottle in the same bag?  How unfortunate.

Really dude!? Rub salt in the wound... it was my daily bag for work, containing a glass water bottle with a screw top which wasn’t done up properly, first time in 4 years of commuting. So it’s not like it was a shitty leaky water bottle.

3 hours ago, spook811 said:

Really dude!? Rub salt in the wound... it was my daily bag for work, containing a glass water bottle with a screw top which wasn’t done up properly, first time in 4 years of commuting. So it’s not like it was a shitty leaky water bottle.

All I know is if I had bought a brand new camera, an expensive camera, I'd take no chances and be very careful where I pack it or what I pack next to it.

I hope Fuji will be generous to repair all the damage for free or minimum cost.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins