Console pleb switching to pc - Rzyen 5 1600 & gtx 1060 build

Flak

Hello! I have decided to switch from console to pc, mainly because my xbox one is on it's last legs. I have assembled a list of parts I would like to buy, as well as all the peripherals I selected.

I would appreciate it very much if anyone could view my list and give me advice on what i should deduct/add to increase performance and/or decrease costs. I am new to this and am in need  of good advice. Thanks!

PCPartPicker List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MP4NVY

Edited by Flak
Grammar

A bit cheaper and better.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($83.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($114.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: PNY - CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($52.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.44 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: *PNY - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Video Card  ($279.99 @ Dell Small Business) 
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: *Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: AOC - G2260VWQ6 21.5" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Keyboard: Logitech - G610 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($77.49 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Razer - DeathAdder Chroma Wired Optical Mouse  ($56.89 @ B&H) 
Other: Steel Series QcK Mouse Pad - Black ($9.99)
Total: $1144.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-26 10:30 EDT-0400

I removed Windows from the list because you can get it from somewhere like kinguin.net or r/microsoftsoftwareswap for $30, or just use Windows inactivated (you just can't change the background and there's a few things here and there telling you windows is inactivated). With the money saved I got 16gb ram and an ssd.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

7 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

A bit cheaper and better.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($83.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($114.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: PNY - CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($52.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($48.44 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: *PNY - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Video Card  ($279.99 @ Dell Small Business) 
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($64.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: *Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: AOC - G2260VWQ6 21.5" 1920x1080 75Hz Monitor  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Keyboard: Logitech - G610 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($77.49 @ Amazon) 
Mouse: Razer - DeathAdder Chroma Wired Optical Mouse  ($56.89 @ B&H) 
Other: Steel Series QcK Mouse Pad - Black ($9.99)
Total: $1144.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-26 10:30 EDT-0400

I removed Windows from the list because you can get it from somewhere like kinguin.net or r/microsoftsoftwareswap for $30, or just use Windows inactivated (you just can't change the background and there's a few things here and there telling you windows is inactivated). With the money saved I got 16gb ram and an ssd.

Would it be possible to use corsair spec 1 case with this build?

Just now, Flak said:

Would it be possible to use corsair spec 1 case with this build?

Yes it would be. I personally don't like that case as I used to have the spec 03 and I wasn't a big fan of it but that's just my opinion.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Yes it would be. I personally don't like that case as I used to have the spec 03 and I wasn't a big fan of it but that's just my opinion.

What were the downsides you found? Also, what is the difference between the mobo I selected and the one you picked?

55 minutes ago, Flak said:

Hello! I have decided to switch from console to pc, mainly because my xbox one is on it's last legs. I have assembled a list of parts I would like to buy, as well as all the peripherals I selected.

I would appreciate it very much if anyone could view my list and give me advice on what i should deduct/add to increase performance and/or decrease costs. I am new to this and am in need  of good advice. Thanks!

PCPartPicker List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MP4NVY

Dont pay $100 for windows 10, Pauls hardware has a video about how to get keys for very cheap only about 20$, then just install if from any old usb drive.

This System is very color matchy, maybe get something like an s340 to show off that sweet internals. I like the phanteks p300 to, that is only $20 more and has a full tempered glass sidepanel. It might even come with an rgb strip but im not sure.

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

-snip-

48 minutes ago, Flak said:

What were the downsides you found? Also, what is the difference between the mobo I selected and the one you picked?

For the time being, I would stay away from MSI motherboards for the AM4 platform.  Last I heard, they were still having issues with long boot times and having trouble posting.  If they did fix it, I haven't seen it yet.  

Just looking at the boards briefly, (other than one being mATX and the other full ATX) the ASrock board you picked doesn't appear to have any usb 3.1. The MSI board has 4 for of them, one of which is type-c, with a header for 4 more.  Thats just what stands out to me right off the bat, but if you look closer i'm sure you can find some other differences.  

1 minute ago, Ctown0812 said:

the ASrock board you picked doesn't appear to have any usb 3.1. The MSI board has 4 for of them, one of which is type-c, with a header for 4 more.

But now that i think about it, I think USB 3.1 gen 1 is the same speed as USB 3.0, I could be remembering that wrong tho

23 minutes ago, Ctown0812 said:

For the time being, I would stay away from MSI motherboards for the AM4 platform.  Last I heard, they were still having issues with long boot times and having trouble posting.  If they did fix it, I haven't seen it yet

Well my Crosshair 6 takes about 20 seconds to post so..

10 hours ago, Flak said:

Downsides?

-the front shroud thing is EXTREMELY hard to remove. Very hard. I had to use a  flat head screw driver as a lever at multiple different points in order to pop it off. Each time it took like 10 minutes

-one time when popping the front shroud off the power button fell off so I had to glue it back ;_;

-the side panels were kinda difficult to put back on, and I felt like they were getting harder and harder to do so the more I did it

-it looks a a bit ugly, but that's a personal opinion.

-the stock fans are a bit on the loud side

-the case is a bit thin, which means taller air coolers aren't gonna fit

-cable management isn't that great, though I suppose for the price it's ok

That's about it. There are some things that are nice about it, like the tooless drive cages (really nice feature that I miss with my define s). The difficulty for removing the front panel and putting the side panels back really is what bugged me the most, and added to the fact that I wanted to use a high end air cooler ended up driving me to upgrade it.

I don't have experience with other cases in the $40 range, though, so I'm not sure how it compares to other similarily priced cases. I just know that I didn't like it that much.

As for mobo, the one I selected is atx so it's bigger (won't look as weird in the case, also more spaced out may allow for higher memory overclocks), has a bit better vrms, imo has better memory compatibility though I think it has a bit longer post times. I mainly selected it because it's the cheapest b350 atx mobo that's decent.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 hours ago, DocSwag said:

-snip-

Ok thanks, I'll definitely keep that in mind. You've been very helpful :)