Gaming headset at/around $100

Janocte

Hi all,

I am currently in the market for a new headset for gaming. Primarily I will be communicating in Discord and playing PC games like Wow & PUBG. 

**Disclaimer: I do not have the setup for a installing a separate mic and using audiophile headphones**

I currently own a pair of Steelseries V3's that are beginning to wear out and want to find some alternatives. I do like the Steelseries brand, but I am very willing to go outside of that brand if im "upgrading" to a better set of headphones.

My search has led me back to the following 3 headsets over and over again. While I am very open to hearing recommendations for other headsets (in the $100 range), I would first like to hear the forumns' thoughts on these 3 headphones:

1) HyperX Cloud II

2) SteelSeries Arctis 5

3) Sennheiser GSP 300

Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Don't forget to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we aren't going to receive your answers...

~Jano

7 minutes ago, Blackhole890 said:

you should check out this post

Thanks for the reply and the link! If possible, I would love your opinion on the 3 headsets I listed above and, if anyone feels so inclined, recommendations of other gaming headsets (~$100).

Don't forget to quote me (or someone else), otherwise we aren't going to receive your answers...

~Jano

You have like 6 hours to jump on it but I'd say this is the best deal around for $120.  I have the Sennheiser 363d's and absolutely love them. While the clouds are a staple in the gaming headset world they just don't compare to a pair like these.

Just keep in mind they are open back.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-pc37x-gaming-headset

2 minutes ago, Oo-Bubbles-oO said:

You have like 6 hours to jump on it but I'd say this is the best deal around for $120.  I have the Sennheiser 363d's and absolutely love them. While the clouds are a staple in the gaming headset world they just don't compare to a pair like these.

Just keep in mind they are open back.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-pc37x-gaming-headset

Thanks for the reply bubbles! How do the 363d's compare to the GSP 300's for Sennheiser?

Amazon shows the 363d's as out of stock (Assuming the 373's replaced them? maybe not?)

~Jano

I do not recommend HyperX Cloud / Cloud II / CloudX because it has a small soundstage, bad imaging and it sounds very muddy. A much better option for a similar price is Superlux HD668B with velour earpads from HiFiMAN and Antlion ModMic 4. The headphones have a big soundstage, very accurate imaging and good clarity and detail retrieval. Soundstage is perceived space and environment of sound. It determines whether the sound is perceived to be coming from inside your head or beyond the drivers and around you. It can be compared to virtual surround sound; both attempt to produce the same spacious, three-dimensional effect. Imaging determines how accurately sounds/objects are positioned. Other options for gaming:

Headphones: 

• Audio-Technica ATH-AD500x
  • Philips SHP9500
  • Samson SR950
  • Sennheiser HD558
  • Sennheiser HD518
  • Superlux HD-681 EVO

Mics:

• Massdrop MiniMic
  • Neewer Clip on Mini Lapel Microphone
  • Sony ECMCS3
  • V-MODA BoomPro
  • Zalman ZM-Mic1

The 373's did replace the 363's.  

I've never tried the GSP 300's.  That being said the biggest immediate difference would be open backed vs closed backed.  Ear cups are a bit different. I read the mic is louder on the the 373. In general if you are in a place where you can enjoy an open back the 373 has a lot better sound quality.  I know I would struggle to go back to a lower quality headphone.  I know you said you don't have the setup to really go xlr/usb mic and a set of audiophile headphones but this is a wonderful alternative all in one solution.

1 minute ago, Tacanacy said:

I do not recommend HyperX Cloud / Cloud II / CloudX because it has a small soundstage, bad imaging and it sounds very muddy. A much better option for a similar price is Superlux HD668B with velour earpads from HiFiMAN and Antlion ModMic 4. The headphones have a big soundstage, very accurate imaging and good clarity and detail retrieval. Soundstage is perceived space and environment of sound. It determines whether the sound is perceived to be coming from inside your head or beyond the drivers and around you. It can be compared to virtual surround sound; both attempt to produce the same spacious, three-dimensional effect. Imaging determines how accurately sounds/objects are positioned. Other options for gaming:

Headphones: 

• Audio-Technica ATH-AD500x
  • Philips SHP9500
  • Samson SR950
  • Sennheiser HD558
  • Sennheiser HD518
  • Superlux HD-681 EVO

Mics:

• Massdrop MiniMic
  • Neewer Clip on Mini Lapel Microphone
  • Sony ECMCS3
  • V-MODA BoomPro
  • Zalman ZM-Mic1

Thanks for those recommendations. I will check out the Superlux HD668B's and the Hifimans (with mic add-on) as an alternative. As far as a "gaming headset" is concerned, what are your thoughts on the other two i recommended?

~Jano

The 373's did replace the 363's.  

I've never tried the GSP 300's.  That being said the biggest immediate difference would be open backed vs closed backed.  Ear cups are a bit different. I read the mic is louder on the the 373. In general if you are in a place where you can enjoy an open back the 373 has a lot better sound quality.  I know I would struggle to go back to a lower quality headphone.  I know you said you don't have the setup to really go xlr/usb mic and a set of audiophile headphones but this is a wonderful alternative all in one solution.

I will compare the 300's and the 373's a bit further. My first thought is the 373's are significantly more expensive than the 300's...which makes sense if they are that much better sound-wise.

~Jano

1 minute ago, Graphics159 said:

The hyper x clouds 2 http://amzn.to/2tMTbpP are one of the best headset i have ever use i could not recommend a headset more than those

Thanks for the reply! Any thoughts on the other two headsets i mentioned in my original post?

~Jano

4 minutes ago, Janocte said:

Thanks for those recommendations. I will check out the Superlux HD668B's and the Hifimans (with mic add-on) as an alternative. As far as a "gaming headset" is concerned, what are your thoughts on the other two i recommended?

All of them should be looked into. I haven't used the two other headsets, nor read/heard anything about them.

Just now, Janocte said:

Thanks for the reply! Any thoughts on the other two headsets i mentioned in my original post?

Yes the artics 5 i have heard iffy things about from and for my friends it is  either a hit or miss from what i have seen

and the Sennheiser  i heard the mic is awful

Just now, Graphics159 said:

Yes the artics 5 i have heard iffy things about from and for my friends it is  either a hit or miss from what i have seen

and the Sennheiser  i heard the mic is awful

Interesting. I had heard some similar complaints about the sennheiser 300's mic.

Anything specifically "iffy" about the arctis 5's

~Jano

Just now, Janocte said:

Interesting. I had heard some similar complaints about the sennheiser 300's mic.

Anything specifically "iffy" about the arctis 5's

The Arctis, the headset has kinda weak audio drivers and the construct of the headset is kinda of week and flimsy. 

The Arctis, the headset has kinda weak audio drivers and the construct of the headset is kinda of week and flimsy. 

That is consistent as well. Touting the use of a "skiband" for the tension portion of the headset, does not inspire me with confidence of design or durability.

~Jano

Just now, Janocte said:

That is consistent as well. Touting the use of a "skiband" for the tension portion of the headset, does not inspire me with confidence of design or durability.

yeah. and i can vouch for the hyperx i have been using them of a littler over a a year and they are still going strong, i love these so much i cant think of going back to another headset

yeah. and i can vouch for the hyperx i have been using them of a littler over a a year and they are still going strong, i love these so much i cant think of going back to another headset

Thanks Graphics! Seems like my choice is clear...:D

I plan on buying in the next day or two...any additional thoughts on these 3 or any other headsets would still be welcome

~Jano

Most of my friends have the clouds, definitely a solid choice. I still have to vote for the 373's, I also couldn't think about going back to another headset.  One that picked up the 363's said there is a night and day difference in sound quality.

Most of my friends have the clouds, definitely a solid choice. I still have to vote for the 373's, I also couldn't think about going back to another headset.  One that picked up the 363's said there is a night and day difference in sound quality.

I hear you man. I am trying to get the best bang for my buck on a gaming headset and unfortunately both the 363's and 373's are out of my price range of ~$100. 

~Jano

5 minutes ago, Janocte said:

Thanks Graphics! Seems like my choice is clear...:D

I plan on buying in the next day or two...any additional thoughts on these 3 or any other headsets would still be welcome

Im glad i could help you pick out a good headset for the best gaming experience 

Wanted to follow up and ask specifically about the Razer Man O' War 7.1 wired? Anyone had experience with these? 

I personally have never owned anything Razer, but they got on the top headsets list this year.

~Jano

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Wanted to provide an update and request for addt'l help. I went and tried on both the Hyper X Cloud II's as well as the Arctis 5's and while I like to comfort from the Cloud II's a little more, they were both in a dead heat. I had given some thought to the Sennheiser Game One's (as I had heard good things on the inter-webs about them)...but for the added $70 in price, I didnt see a huge benefit to going with them over one of the other two.

That said, would someone please break down these 3 headsets for me and give me some advice on which to get. I know they all have their pro's and con's certainly, but for someone who a) primarily plays on the PC, b) is not an "audiophile" by any means (but does appreciate a decent sound stage) and c) seeks a product that allows people to be able to hear me over discord when playing PUBG with friends or during raid sessions with the guild.

Thanks again for the help.

~Jano

On 7/7/2017 at 0:31 PM, Tacanacy said:

Buy Philips SHP9500 with V-MODA BoomPro mic instead of Cloud II.

The headphone has a big soundstage, very good imaging, separation, clarity and tone quality and good detail retrieval. It has a balanced sound signature. It's open-back, over-ear, easy to drive and has a durable build and detachable cable (hence the V-MODA mic). The mic has good clarity for voice chat and an in-line mute button and a volume control.

Interesting alternative. I will look into that.

~Jano