Headphones w mic combo VS Gaming Headset

Ayemaan

Hi :D

I'm new here, sorry for any mistake. I'm about to buy a headphones. Mainly for Counter Strike Global Offensive gaming session. I also want the headphones having the great audio for music listening and movie watching. I'm confused to go buy the 'gaming headset' or should I buy normal headphones. My budget is in 100$ price range. I recently has the Razer Kraken Pro but the way it compress my head, I cant even play for more than 3 hour without taking it off. So, i need a headphones that very comfortable but still have passive noice cancellation.

I'm looking toward to the Hyperx Cloud 2, Senheiser M40x, and Hyperx Cloud Stinger (i can safe money for something else)

Can you guys suggest me anything in that price range, a lesser cost option will be great because i'm actually on a budget.

Thank you,

If the hyperx cloud 2's are within your budget, then by all means go for it. I personally didn't like them but everyone else has a different feeling towards them. I currently use the Corsair Void Wireless RGB headset but that's because I enjoy Corsair's products.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

12 minutes ago, Ayemaan said:

Hi :D

I'm new here, sorry for any mistake. I'm about to buy a headphones. Mainly for Counter Strike Global Offensive gaming session. I also want the headphones having the great audio for music listening and movie watching. I'm confused to go buy the 'gaming headset' or should I buy normal headphones. My budget is in 100$ price range. I recently has the Razer Kraken Pro but the way it compress my head, I cant even play for more than 3 hour without taking it off. So, i need a headphones that very comfortable but still have passive noice cancellation.

I'm looking toward to the Hyperx Cloud 2, Senheiser M40x, and Hyperx Cloud Stinger (i can safe money for something else)

Can you guys suggest me anything in that price range, a lesser cost option will be great because i'm actually on a budget.

Thank you,

I use the Logitech G430 headset and can wear it for hours on end. great headset, super comfortable (rests around your ears with padded cushions rather than on your ears), close back earpieces for excellent noise cancellation, 7.1 surround sound support, and the logitech gaming software for additional functionality. Its currently $100 CAD, so its probably within the $100 of whatever currency you use since our Canadian dollar is fairly weak atm. You can also check out the G230, G231, and G233 headsets for similar costs, features, and aesthetics if the G430 isn't exactly what you're looking for. I just have the G430 and have had several years of first hand experience with it so i feel I can recommend it. I'm not an Audiophile or anything like that, but the sounds coming from the headset have never felt weak or bad to me (although I'm the sort of guy who doesn't like an over-abundance of thump in his music so your tastes may vary). Mic clarity is also pretty great and does a fairly decent job of blocking wind/air noise, although that area is probably its weakest point... but its still not bad.

Beyond that I've little experience with other headsets. when it comes to peripherals I'm something of a logitech fanboy so take my recommendation with a grain of salt, but to be fair they also make some pretty damn good products. in the $100 pricerange it probably makes the most sense to go for a gaming headset, as you're unlikely to get the true audiophile feel out of any headset in that range, and any mic you want to pair with a pricey headset would likely be cheap and unsatisfactory.... but as far as mic's go I've heard good things about the Antlion ModMic which you can add to pretty much any headphones to make it a sort of headset... get the audio profile you want, the communication you want, without really any compromise in between... except your wallet... your wallet will definitely have to compromise :P

I also have the corsair wireless void and really like them.  They are not going to win any awards for the best sound, but they are good for the price.  I picked them up refurbished from the corsair website for $60, I think it was $64 or so shipped.  If you turn off the rgb the battery life is about 14 hours for me so far, and about 5 or 6 with them on.  At the $100 price range I would have probably looked at other options like the coulds, but for the price I got them at I think it was the best option for something with a headset, and wireless.  I have had several pairs of turtle beach headsets and a set of skull candy's, and one of the sony sets for the ps3.  the sony ones sucked hard, the skull candys were by far the best sounding, but the wires inside broke after about a year and the left speaker quit working.  The turtle beachs were px3's, xp400's, and x12's.  the px3's sound really good but pick up a lot of interference, the xp400's sound good but tend to distort on low end, and the x12's are great but the cord constantly ended up wrapped around the wheels on my desk chair which drove me to wanting wireless headphones again.  I still have the px3's and xp400's but they are hooked up to my tv for when me and the wife want to watch movies after the kids go to sleep.  the x12's I use with my laptop sometimes. 

I have very few complaints about the corsair headphones.  they initially feel a little flimsy, but after having them for a few months I have no doubt that are built solidly.  The software uses more cpu than I would like, but I also have a corsair mouse that I use with my laptop that uses the software and a corsair keyboard on my desktop that uses it, so I would have it running with or without the headphones.  The sound is good, the rgb is a gimmick but cool for the random occasion that I take them off and sync them with my keyboard.  The lights on the mic are cool, but I cant really see them unless I move the mic up a bit higher than were the mic picks up well.  I have a fairly large head.  I have trouble finding hats and sunglasses that fit properly, and have bought headphones in the past that were either uncomfortable, or just didnt open up far enough to fit over my ears properly.  the corsairs have neither problem. 

Headphones:

• Audio-Technica ATH-AD500X (open-back)
  • Philips SHP9500 (open-back)
  • Samson SR950 (open-back)
  • Sennheiser HD558 (open-back)
  • Sennheiser HD518 (open-back)
  • Superlux HD681 EVO (open-back)
  • Superlux HD668B (semi-open-back) + velour pads (standard or XL size) from Brainwavz
  • Samson SR850 (semi-open-back)

Mics:

• Antlion ModMic 5.0, 4.0
  • Massdrop MiniMic
  • Neewer Clip on Mini Lapel Microphone
  • Sony ECMCS3
  • V-MODA BoomPro
  • Zalman ZM-Mic1

Open-back and semi-open-back mean that the earcups have perforations/openings that allow sound to freely pass in and out. The benefits are generally a larger soundstage and better imaging. If your ears tend to heat up, it may help mitigate this as it allows more airflow and heat to dissipate.

Closed-back means the earcups have solid shells that attenuate sound from passing through.

Soundstage is perceived space and environment of sound, it's distance to sound. Imaging is direction of sound. Soundstage and imaging can be compared to virtual surround sound; they attempt to produce a spacious, three-dimensional sound. VSS can sound more three-dimensional and ambient/atmospheric, which depends a lot on the processor you use (Dolby Atmos, Dolby Headphone, Razer Surround, Sennheiser Binaural Rendering Engine, SBX Pro Studio, etc.), the headphones you use, and the game you play. This might not interplay well, at all.

The reason why stereo should be considered over VSS for online/competitive shooters is that VSS degrades the sound quality and diminishes detail retrieval due to compression. You might also experience less accurate imaging and (instrument) separation. I find that the imaging becomes smeared, and that it becomes harder to discern individual sounds from a range of overlapping sounds.

Boosted bass might sound more immersive, but for competitive online/competitive shooters, it’s not recommended because the bass can overpower sound cues and make you less aware of what’s happening around you.

I own a Superlux HD668B, and I think it's much better than HyperX Cloud / Cloud II / CloudX because it has a large soundstage, very good imaging, good clarity and good detail retrieval. I'm comparing it to AKG Q701, Beyerdynamic DT990 (600-ohm), Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X, Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000X, Sennheiser HD700 and Sennheiser HD800. I think the Cloud is muddy and has a small soundstage and bad imaging.