Can my GTX 970 handle it?

Spewky

Hey LTT peoples,

So I've got a GTX 970 of which I've had for like a year and a half, and have finally decided to download Fallout 4 (yes, I know, little late).

I've been playing for a few hours now and have really enjoyed the game but would like it so much more if I could install the high resolution texture pack, to make the game look even more spectacular. 

So, with my GTX 970, I was wondering if it would be able to handle the high res texture pack and run at a decent FPS that it is still bearable to play. 

Is there anyone with a GTX 970 or knows anything about it that could tell me if you think it would be able to run? Also if I do install it, would I be able to uninstall it easily?

Thanks, 

Go for it. You can uninstall the mod if you don't like the performance. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, xSpaceSheepy1 said:

Hey LTT peoples,

So I've got a GTX 970 of which I've had for like a year and a half, and have finally decided to download Fallout 4 (yes, I know, little late).

I've been playing for a few hours now and have really enjoyed the game but would like it so much more if I could install the high resolution texture pack, to make the game look even more spectacular. 

So, with my GTX 970, I was wondering if it would be able to handle the high res texture pack and run at a decent FPS that it is still bearable to play. 

Is there anyone with a GTX 970 or knows anything about it that could tell me if you think it would be able to run? Also if I do install it, would I be able to uninstall it easily?

Thanks, 

I remember I used to play on Ultra maxed 1080p with an overclocked R9 380X, which would have been half ways between the GTX 960 and GTX 970 (when overclocked the gaps closes with the GTX 970 but it's still a little stronger) 

The recommended specs if I remember right is like a GTX 1070, so probably not, but you can try. 

Yours faithfully

3 minutes ago, Lord Nicoll said:

I remember I used to play on Ultra maxed 1080p with an overclocked R9 380X, which would have been half ways between the GTX 960 and GTX 970 (when overclocked the gaps closes with the GTX 970 but it's still a little stronger) 

The recommended specs if I remember right is like a GTX 1070, so probably not, but you can try. 

Ok, I'm running on the max settings right now with my 970 and without the high res texture, and feels and looks just fine. I think I might try it out and see.

thank you :) 

4 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Go for it. You can uninstall the mod if you don't like the performance. 

Ok, thanks. I started the download for it and it says it's 55gb.. which is bigger than the game itself.. looks like I'll do it overnight with my 2.5mb p/s internet :( 

Any idea how I might be able to uninstall it if doesn't go to plan? Just through steam?  

Just now, xSpaceSheepy1 said:

Any idea how I might be able to uninstall it if doesn't go to plan? Just through steam?  

I believe you go to properties and uncheck the box for the package.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, ARikozuM said:

I believe you go to properties and uncheck the box for the package.

Ok, cool. I'll try it soon. 

Thanks again :)

1 hour ago, xSpaceSheepy1 said:

Hey LTT peoples,

Thanks, 

Unless you want to install the mod that remakes trees and makes the whole terrain a jungle, you'll be fine. Also, if you download high-res water texture pack, dont select anything higher than 1440p. And no vault 1080 either. I never seen a card suffer that much. 
Any other mod that I tried (around a gajilion) will work just fine, I usually rock with 50+ mods at the same time and running CBBE / BodySlide at the background (pls don't judge).

The 970 is a good card with good performance, but they fucked up it's VRAM good time. It's core is really powerful unless you wan't to have great textures, because that's not going to happen. Anything else is a piece of cake for it.
FYI, I just ran Dishonored 2 with medium to high presets in my dad's 4K TV. I got around 40 fps, so not the smoothest, but tham thats amazing. So yeah, FO4 will not be a problem.