Small Ass Computers

Curious to see how many other people bought into the mini PC meme. 

What do you have and when did you buy it? What do you use it for?

I bought this thing about a month ago on amazon. For the most part I bought it for replacing my aged Chromecast, as a fully functional computer would do more than a streaming stick.

Unfortunatly, Windows 10 is a bit much for the Atom Processor & two gigs of ram to handle, so I'm probably going to install Ubuntu on it and get it in better shape. 

compute-stick-hero-icons-rwd.png.rendition.intel.web.336.252.png

I did, works fine for me, I used it as a replacement for a the use of a school PC.

I'm going to use 4 of them next year for wireless display for refereeing of weightlifting competition.

I basically did. My YogaBook runs an awful Atom processor and 4GB of RAM. It's extremely slow, but the battery life is nuts and the whole laptop is as thin as an iPad Air.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Sorta...

20170625_235948.jpg

Got it a few years back.  It's utter shit now, but it's a tiny Android PC.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

Only compute stick I have ever owned was a Chromecast. Worthless piece of shit. Beyond that, never buying anything along the lines of them. They're not viable for what I expect of them, for anything more than a month, which isn't much. Just 720p or 1080p YouTube playback. Matter of fact, you'd have to pay me to take one.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

36 minutes ago, yathis said:

How the heck does that work?

It plugs into the HDMI port of a monitor or TV and has a few USB ports for peripherals.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

I personally thought these things were a little stupid because I couldn't think of a use for it. But I mean, if you're able to put Linux or another lightweight operating system on it and get better performance out of it, then by all means it's pretty neat.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

So you could technically have some sort of mini display with a connector on it, and plug that thing in and BAM!!!! you got yourself a pc.

What kind of CPU and ram does it have?

15 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Only compute stick I have ever owned was a Chromecast. Worthless piece of shit. Beyond that, never buying anything along the lines of them. They're not viable for what I expect of them, for anything more than a month, which isn't much. Just 720p or 1080p YouTube playback. Matter of fact, you'd have to pay me to take one.

Why are you so angry at the chromecast? I really like mine and I've had it for years now.

i was going to get one, then realized i honestly had no use for it.

got myself a raspberry pi instead

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

9 minutes ago, verytiny said:

i love ass computers of any size

Ohh, that's why they're so small. Don't buy a used one.

3 hours ago, Vacras said:

Why are you so angry at the chromecast?

Connectivty issues, regardless if there is direct line of site of the router, it's literally next to an access point, and any Vizio smart/smartcast TV can outpace it in every regard. Those TVs, from my testing, get hung up too frequently that I won't use those features on the ones I have either. I got an XBOne to handle it, and saying that it handles it hundreds of millions times better than a Chromecast is outright insulting the underwhelming Xbox.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

7 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Connectivty issues, regardless if there is direct line of site of the router, it's literally next to an access point, and any Vizio smart/smartcast TV can outpace it in every regard. Those TVs, from my testing, get hung up too frequently that I won't use those features on the ones I have either. I got an XBOne to handle it, and saying that it handles it hundreds of millions times better than a Chromecast is outright insulting the underwhelming Xbox.

Yeah I get what your problems are, however my chromecast is working perfectly fine even though it's on the other side of my house relative to my router.

For me it was a cheap and easy way of getting YouTube etc. onto my tv (which is to old to have internet functionality), without having to lay a hdmi cable all around my room to connect the tv to my pc.

17 hours ago, Drak3 said:

It sounds like you might have had a dud. My Chromecast has sit behind my TV for the past 2-3 years and I didn't have any issues with it. The main reason I upgraded was due to the fact that I was limited to streaming off certain apps, now with my Mini PC I have more options available. 

26 minutes ago, Kek Ops said:

sounds like you might have had a dud

Every Chromecast I've ever used had those issues, and basically from day one. I've had to set up and test a numbee of the worthless pieces of shit. They're inferior to a cheap, chinese TV with Smartcast, much less a competent system.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.