I'm going to college and would like help picking out a good laptop

I'm going to collage for mechanical engineering, I'm looking for a good laptop that will last for at least 4 years. I want at least a quad core i7 and I don't need anything crazy in graphics but it has to be Windows because of the software that I will have to use. If you could send a recommendation it would be greatly appreciated.

3 minutes ago, Warmishrobin said:

I'm going to collage for mechanical engineering, I'm looking for a good laptop that will last for at least 4 years.

welcome to the dark side 

3 minutes ago, Warmishrobin said:

I don't need anything crazy in graphics but it has to be Windows because of the software that I will have to use. If you could send a recommendation it would be greatly appreciated.

you will have to use things like CAD and lot's of typing, also have a notebook ready for all the diagrams. 

i suggest a XPS 15 or a Thinkpad, a 940mx will be more than enough. 

Also I don't know how to change it, I'm new to this

1 minute ago, Warmishrobin said:

Also I don't know how to change it, I'm new to this

there is an edit button FYI

edit- see

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 9.22.04 PM.png

Edited by nerdslayer1

19 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

there is an edit button FYI

edit- see

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 9.22.04 PM.png

Is that a.a.a...a.... a light theme?!?!?!

Just now, Le Sulfur said:

Price range? The yoga 720 15.6" has a quad core i7 and a 1050, you'd also save another 100 since you're going to college.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-yoga-720-2-in-1-15-6-4k-ultra-hd-touch-screen-laptop-intel-quad-core-i7-16gb-memory-512gb-ssd-platinum-silver/5722755.p?skuId=5722755

won't last 

Just now, Le Sulfur said:

how so?

lot's of mechanical failing points also bad battery life. 

Check out HP, Dell, and Lenovo's business line of laptops. They might have some models, you may like.

Don't know what softwares your mechanical engineering class will be using, some workstation laptop will have workstation class gpus. The alternative will be a mobile Xeon has Intel workstation class integrated graphics, but a dedicated one is always better.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Wait a bit. The newer laptops with max q video architectures are coming out in a few weeks - end of summer. Even if you won't buy something with super high end graphics, the drop in price of everything else will make your life easier, on top of back to school sales.