I want to start a business in computers, any advice

Neutrideo

Hello Fellow Nerds, i am a less-than 16 year old in australia, i have designs for many computers, desk setups, and i am very good at networking, any advice on getting funding to start and how i can get customers!!

Post on craigslist or whatever thing you have locally.Build for family members to spread the word

My life

1 hour ago, Neutrideo said:

-snip-

Um. What do you mean designs? Like custom rigs, or ideas for redesigning current architectures?

Like any artist, you'll have to have a couple proofs of concept to sell your skills. Plus, you need to do more that put stuff in a case and make it look nice. Metal work, custom loops, and fabrication go a long way into showcasing unique skills....

But whatever your goal is, you need to make sure the market exists.

Try gumtree key is to advertise effectively and be smart work for family to gain experience 

1 hour ago, Sierra Fox said:

If you're going to be earning money from it and be running a "Business". you're going to have to do a lot more research than just what you want to do.

Essentially if you are wanting to do this to make money, then you are a business which means:

You will need to get an ABN, registered business name (optional), TFN. being under age you will need your parents to sign the application and registration forms with ASIC and the ABR.

In terms of "funding" you will need to go to a bank and get a loan, which again, being underage is going to be next to impossible, you need to be at least 18. which then you need to prove to them that your "Business" is going to be able to make the money to make the repayments or have some sort of security over the loan. no one is just going to give you money for nothing.

Then there's the matter of recording every purchase and sale you make, calculating GST, Tax lodgement and financials etc

so.

I would recommend getting at job at a local computer store instead. there's a lot that goes into starting a business.

If you're just planning on posting to Gumtree for your Services, you will need to be VERY careful as if you are found to be "running a business" without the above then there are some fairly hefty fines, tax implications and even imprisonment

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Building-confidence/How-we-assure-the-tax-and-super-systems/How-we-deal-with-cash-and-hidden-income/

Just the problem is, all of the local computer stores have no interest in hiring a 15 year old, and You just tried to destroy my dream, possibly indirectly https://www.metroguiltypleasures.com/metro/gary-it-only-takes-a-minute-to-ruin-someones-dream/

3 hours ago, Neutrideo said:

Hello Fellow Nerds, i am a less-than 16 year old in australia, i have designs for many computers, desk setups, and i am very good at networking, any advice on getting funding to start and how i can get customers!!

ok cool...go to skool and get your degree

• Build computer with GTX 1030 & Pentium Processor
  • Sell on Ebay for $400-$500 with label "gaming computer"

On a serious note I'd just start your own business getting rid of viruses off peoples computers or fixing them up. My buddy made decent money in high school doing that. That's only to get your foot in the door though, I don't know what you would do from there. 

i know you might want to head start, but seriously, stop and think and process.  You want to work on yourself and on some of your own projects before hand.  You will have time to develop a business but not now.  16 year olds can get their CCNA certification, so at least study for that first of all.  That will give you the foundations of computer networking.  Then you want to learn different operating systems, Linux, Windows.  There are some great Windows Server videos over at Microsoft Virtual Academy, and some great SQL, C# tutorials too.  For Linux, search up Linux tutorial and I'm sure you will find tons! 

My suggestion once you've done that would be to some things: 

1. Build a server, or rent a server but ideally build one and document the process with pictures and text. 
  2. Install a Linux Distrobution or Windows Server onto the machine, ideally Linux.  And configure it, install a web server, database management system etc,
  3. Design and Write a website, primarily focus on the front-end and making it look nice. 
  4. If you can, write a fully functional web app. 

Although all this might seem easy or difficult depending on your skill level, you'll get there.  If you do that, you will have not only learn't about the basics of everything but you will also have an excellent project to put on your personal portfolio.  Maybe even start a blog and write about your awesome IT experience.  Although you want to jump in, it takes time, it takes effort and most of all it takes experience, life experience.  That's why people don't want to hire a 16 year old. They think you don't have a good work ethic, that you're not very mature.  They think of you as an average 16 year old.  So instead, use this time to learn, explore and grow your skills.  

2 hours ago, Sierra Fox said:

It's not about destroying dreams. It's about letting you know of the process you will have to go through about starting up a business. It's not easy, there's a LOT of work you will need to put in. like i said, you're going to need to do a lot more research other than just "i want to start a business in computers".

Worry about your school work, take a business management or business development course.

If facts destroy your dreams you're going to be sorely disappointed when you leave school.

Then wait until you're older, it's easier than starting a business of your own.

I could possible start my business under my fathers business, he owns one, i guess i could become a branch of his business!!