one monitor two PCs

yaseryaser

so after a little research, I am planning on buying a KVM switch for my 2 PCs ( one custom build "NEW" and another prebuilt COMPAQ Pentium 4 "OLD")

note: I've never used a KVM switch before just know its function.

I only need to connect 2 PCs so I know for sure all I need is 2 ports switch

mainly I have 2 concerns:

#1 does it matter if the KVM is cheap or expensive or of a known brand?!? the avialable in my area are TRENDnet TK-207K \\ and other Chinese unknown manufacturers. my budget is below 50$

#2 is there a way that I don't need to calibrate the screen resolution(also other settings) every time I switch between the 2 PCs>:(

thus the hardware is different and one PC have win7 the other win10.

really sorry for the long post but I needed to explain exactly my issue here, any advice or tip is much appreciated so please share your experience .

Thanks in advance:D

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0833.jpg

Why don't you just put each PC into different inputs on the monitor and then switch inputs when you need to switch PCs? I don't think the resolution would need to be calibrated because the resolution is dependent on the monitor not the PC.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

is there a way that I don't need to calibrate the screen resolution(also other settings) every time I switch between the 2 PCs

and I didn't know what to search on google for this, if anyone could provide useful link or info about this

1 minute ago, Gamessys said:

Why don't you just put each PC into different inputs on the monitor and then switch inputs when you need to switch PCs? I don't think the resolution would need to be calibrated because the resolution is dependent on the monitor not the PC.

my monitor is very old and has one VGA input

Just now, yaseryaser said:

my monitor is very old and has one VGA input

Wow, one VGA input. Tbh I would invest in a new monitor rather than some sort of switch.

i5 12600k | ASRock Z690M-ITX 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA 2080 Super Black | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB + 980 1TB | Corsair RMx 650W | Thermaltake Tower 100 White

1 minute ago, Gamessys said:

Wow, one VGA input. Tbh I would invest in a new monitor rather than some sort of switch.

you are absolutely right

but maybe next year so I can get an awesome monitor IPS \ I don't want to get any display to get going and also after building my fist PC nearly cost me 900$ I am broke :(

1 minute ago, yaseryaser said:

you are absolutely right

but maybe next year so I can get an awesome monitor IPS \ I don't want to get any display to get going and also after building my fist PC nearly cost me 900$ I am broke :(

Even so I would still try and save up to get a new monitor. I also don't understand why you need to use two different PCs.

2 minutes ago, Gamessys said:

Even so I would still try and save up to get a new monitor. I also don't understand why you need to use two different PCs.

2 different sets of data 2 different OS\ but most of the time am on the new PC \ I can save money but to buy a decent IPS monitor it'll cost around 500$ so comparing 500$ on new monitor or 40$ish on a switch I'll go with the switch

$500 for a decent IPS? That depends on the resolution, 1080p IPS is around $250-300. But can't you just transfer whatever important data you need over to the new PC?