New Scrapyard Wars idea, no $$ Fame only, at a Tech show!

After Last weeks Wan Show that I just got around to watching today I had an idea for how they could do a Scrapyard wars with only using their "Youtube" fame, no Money.

At a Tech show they are going to, they ask for equipment from the show floor.

A few Rules/Ideas

All items in the build must come from the show floor. Cannot borrow out of someone/companies personal equipment that they happen to have.

No money can be used to purchase items.
Companies cannot be notified ahead of time to bring extra Equipment for scrapyard wars.

Time limit on period to gather items so as to not take up a large chunk of time and LMG and participants can actually do the work they are there to do (interviews, meetings, etc)

Love to know if other people like this idea. I know it may not be a practical one, might be hard to pull off, but I think it could be a fun one.

what company would lend Linus some stuff randomly out of nowhere?

Look at what happened with Linus and Project Valry (the 3 screen razer thing)

and the asus ryzen motherboard .. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

That's part of the idea, It would only work once, but I think it would be epic enough to do once.

I don't think that would work at all. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure companies don't just hand out their demo hardware. They're supposed to be showcasing it, not giving it out for free.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

@dcb-z part of the challenge, they are not going to give out this hardware freely

11 minutes ago, excalibrax said:

@dcb-z part of the challenge, they are not going to give out this hardware freely

"challenge" as in no employee on the show floor will hand out company demo material if they want to keep their jobs

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

If it's SYW with newer components you're looking for, what about a $1500-2000 budget to buy the newest used parts they can, with the age of the components being a factor in the final scores?

10 minutes ago, LeinadTM said:

If it's SYW with newer components you're looking for, what about a $1500-2000 budget to buy the newest used parts they can, with the age of the components being a factor in the final scores?

Profit Margin on video would be decreased. Linus is a BUSINESSMAN, in it to win it and get paid, and laid by his wife.

2 minutes ago, yathis said:

Profit Margin on video would be decreased. Linus is a BUSINESSMAN, in it to win it and get paid, and laid by his wife.

Fair point.

Just now, LeinadTM said:

Fair point.

Thats why he is spitting out so many vids man, he needs to pay billz, rent/mortgage, salaries, insurance, sandals.

44 minutes ago, yathis said:

Thats why he is spitting out so many vids man, he needs to pay billz, rent/mortgage, salaries, insurance, sandals.

Socks and sandals aren't cheap these days

6 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Yeah unfortunately this would put a lot of our partners in a kind of awkward position.  Probably not going to happen. 

Says the person who stole valerie

Naw it would be better to use the current guidelines of not using influence but build the best PC for free. Dumpster diving, free junk from Craigslist etc.

They are going to run out of new rules, then it will be longer between wars. Thats the way it is, how many vids can you do, run out, stupider and stupider vids.

I'm just glad that the crew actually read through and thought about the idea. I knew it was problematic, but I just had to get the idea out there.

I am failing to see the scrapyard part of this.

if it's just going to be a build off, they would have to give them a heads up or something.

hey great idea! then he can drop multiple peoples hardware all at once!

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

At conventions, the point is not bring fully working models in case of what happened with razer Valerie. Things get stolen. They also don't bring extra products because it is a show, not a sale. It would be interesting if these points weren't the case, but unfortunately, that doesn't happen. Also, scrapyard wars is intended to be used hardware, hence the name. It would be an interesting idea though.