NAS nooby, need help pls

Go to solution Solved by dmaes,
3 hours ago, Pachuca said:

the other option... I have an old AMD system laying around. Haven't used it in forever. I don't even remember what parts in there, but I think it's still running windows 2000. Would it be easier for me to just throw some disks into there and convert it into a NAS? 

A prebuild will be easier. Reusing an old system will be cheaper, more fun, and isn't that much harder. Take a look at FreeNAS, or install ubuntu and setup samba (here is a debian guide, but it will be the same for ubuntu)

hi, I would like to get this NETGEAR EDA500-100NAS, but I have no experience with NAS systems. I need something to use for the home as a backup/media library. I want to back up my devices to it and also use it to stream movies from it mostly 1080p or blueray quality. Would this be easy to use and setup for someone like me? I could get this nas system for a decent price that's why I'm asking about it's performance and features before I commit to purchasing. Also, I may use it for work/office related projects down the road. I read a review about it, but there doesn't seem to be much available and the review wasn't helpful to me. 

I probably get a synology or qnap instead as they normally have better software support. 

There very easy to use and will do all those tasks you want to. 

the other option... I have an old AMD system laying around. Haven't used it in forever. I don't even remember what parts in there, but I think it's still running windows 2000. Would it be easier for me to just throw some disks into there and convert it into a NAS? 

3 hours ago, Pachuca said:

A prebuild will be easier. Reusing an old system will be cheaper, more fun, and isn't that much harder. Take a look at FreeNAS, or install ubuntu and setup samba (here is a debian guide, but it will be the same for ubuntu)

Be safe, don't drink and sudo

Laptop: ASUS K541UA (i5-6198DU, 8GB RAM, 250GB 850 EVO) OS: Debian Buster (KDE)

Desktop: i7-7700, ASUS Strix H270F, 16GB RAM, 128GB SSD from laptop, some HDD's, iGPU, some NIC's, OS: Debian Buster (KDE)