Very undecided between LG 24MP68VQ-P and Samsung S24F350F

Hi,

I can't decide between the Samsung S24F350F, and the LG 24MP68VQ, both 24'', freesync, flicker free, PLS/IPS panel, good quality for the buck monitors.

I'll use it for watching films and series, and games like FPS (but not CS:GO though), besides of the usual internet stuff.

The Samsung is 35€ (39$) less expensive  and seems to have better colours, but I read some reviews that in some units the freesync doesn't work, or have too much backlight glow (or was it bleeding?), or it has bad angles (bad angles in an IPS?), though I don't pretend to watch it sideways :P.

While the LG seemed to have some quircks too, like dead pixels.

- Does anyone has any experience between these 2 monitors? And when I say LG 24MP68VQ, I could also say LG 24MP59G since they're pratically twins.

- What about ghosting?

- And bleeding/glowing? I don't pretend to watch stuff in the dark so some minute glowing won't bother me, but some "grey is the new black"  glowing will.

I'm planning to get a freesync AMD graphic card, don't mind the small difference between the freesync of Samsung's 72Hz and LG's 75Hz

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

3 minutes ago, pipoawas said:

Hi,

I can't decide between the Samsung S24F350F, and the LG 24MP68VQ, both 24'', freesync, flicker free, PLS/IPS panel, good quality for the buck monitors.

I'll use it for watching films and series, and games like FPS (but not CS:GO though), besides of the usual internet stuff.

The Samsung is 35€ (39$) less expensive  and seems to have better colours, but I read some reviews that in some units the freesync doesn't work, or have too much backlight glow (or was it bleeding?), or it has bad angles (bad angles in an IPS?), though I don't pretend to watch it sideways :P.

While the LG seemed to have some quircks too, like dead pixels.

- Does anyone has any experience between these 2 monitors? And when I say LG 24MP68VQ, I could also say LG 24MP59G since they're pratically twins.

- What about ghosting?

- And bleeding/glowing? I don't pretend to watch stuff in the dark so some minute glowing won't bother me, but some "grey is the new black"  glowing will.

I'm planning to get a freesync AMD graphic card, don't mind the small difference between the freesync of Samsung's 72Hz and LG's 75Hz

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Thank you

If something doesn't work, just send it back. So I would go with the Samsung one because it's cheaper.

-+-+- This is a reminder to clean the dust filters of your PC! -+-+-

Main PC:

Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz - RX 570 4GB - 2x8GB DDR4 - ASUS Prime X370-Pro - Shadow Rock 2 - Define S - Seasonic Prime Gold 650W

500GB NVME SSD - 1TB SATA SSD - 1TB HDD - Windows 10 Pro

Dorm PC:

i5 4590 - GTX 960 4GB - 2x4GB DDR3 - ASUS H81M2 - Dark Rock 3 - Define R3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Seasonic S12 430W - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

NAS:

Pentium G4400 - 4GB DDR4 - Fujitsu Esprimo P556 - 250GB SATA SSD - 2 x 4TB NAS HDD - 12V PSU - OpenMediaVault

Laptop:

Dell Latitude E6520 - i5 2430M - 2x4GB DDR3 - 250GB SATA SSD - Windows 10 Pro - Linux Mint

Since this samsung does not equipped with VA thingy just go for 24MP59G because my friend is impressed at it

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

1 hour ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

Since this samsung does not equipped with VA thingy just go for 24MP59G because my friend is impressed at it

PLS is on par with IPS. It's basically IPS but made by Samsung

6 hours ago, GrayTech said:

If something doesn't work, just send it back. So I would go with the Samsung one because it's cheaper.

Thank you all for the answers so far.

Yes, I might try the Samsung, although since I won't buy the AMD graphic card right now, I'm afraid that when I get it, the freesync on the monitor side won't work and it will be already too late to return the monitor to the store.

5 hours ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

What VA, you mean the panel technology? But all those I mentioned are of the IPS type, including the 24MP59G

4 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

PLS is on par with IPS. It's basically IPS but made by Samsung

Yes I know :-)  Some say PLS it's even better, although only slightly

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

I was mostly informing Ordinary Gamer lol.

Oh ok, sorry :D I misread the quote you made.

Maybe because I'm reading and watching monitor reviews for a whole week :P

On June 24, 2017 at 10:56 PM, RelyBedGrammer said:

it is really impressive, I'm glad I saw your recommendation mate

My friend's words when he first use the monitor

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

4 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

My friend's words when he first use the monitor

You mean the 24MP59G, right?

1 minute ago, pipoawas said:

Yes, and i am getting the bigger 27 model for $240

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

I whish I had the 2 in front of me to help me decide about ghosting and backlight glow or bleed.

Anyway it'll be a big upgrade since I'm still on a 17'' CRT :D

46 minutes ago, pipoawas said:

I whish I had the 2 in front of me to help me decide about ghosting and backlight glow or bleed.

Anyway it'll be a big upgrade since I'm still on a 17'' CRT :D

What about 27 crt like me when i was a kid haha

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

3 hours ago, pipoawas said:

I just got the monitor days ago, coming from someone who uses 'your typical laptop' screen for a long time. there's a noticable improvement in photo ediitng with an IPS panel ( I hope it's not some placebo) ,but personally I doubt I'll notice a difference between IPS and VA in games, the only game I tested with this monitor so far is overwatch, and I haven't seen any noticable ghosting, haven't seen any bleeding in the screen, but I've noticed the 'IPS Glow' on my screen, as linus explained here, hope this helps

Supposedly you notice more blacks and contrast but somewhat washed out colours in VA panels. Now there's the better AMVA+, I don't know how much better they are (every reviewer has his own eye sensibility), but I wonder if with these AMVA+ you could just pump up the color saturation or put all RGB channels to the max to compensate for the washed out colours, so you could get the best of both worlds.

About the IPS glow in the 24MP59G you have, is that bad in a non-completly dark room?

18 hours ago, pipoawas said:

Supposedly you notice more blacks and contrast but somewhat washed out colours in VA panels. Now there's the better AMVA+, I don't know how much better they are (every reviewer has his own eye sensibility), but I wonder if with these AMVA+ you could just pump up the color saturation or put all RGB channels to the max to compensate for the washed out colours, so you could get the best of both worlds.

About the IPS glow in the 24MP59G you have, is that bad in a non-completly dark room?

I barely noticed it in a bright room, you can definitely see it when it's completely dark, but it's only visible in 1 edge of the frame

sorta like this

9248iFB6AB1630BF8D57F?v=1.0

If that's in a 100% dark room, that's not that bad, I imagine that even with a room lit with just a bedside lamp (reasonably luminous) those glows are pratically gone

18 hours ago, pipoawas said:

If that's in a 100% dark room, that's not that bad, I imagine that even with a room lit with just a bedside lamp (reasonably luminous) those glows are pratically gone

exactly

14 hours ago, RelyBedGrammer said:

exactly

Did you have maximum brightness on that screen, and was the camera ISO on auto?

On 6/29/2017 at 7:17 AM, pipoawas said:

Did you have maximum brightness on that screen, and was the camera ISO on auto?

Can't find the camera ISO thingy, but I do have it at maximum brightness

Right, I bought the Samsung S24F350F, seems so big compared to a 17'' CRT,  my eyes and neck are still getting accostumed to turning around more, since the monitor it's so large :D

Everything seems fine and no dead pixels. It has IPS (PLS) glow, but nothing serious, and you have to be in complete dark with the brightness at maximum to notice it. Watching it in person it appears to be less intense than what RelyBedGrammer posted, but that picture was made through the camera "eye", not mine.

Two things that aren't the monitor's fault:

1)  With a arm distance between my eyes and the monitor I can still see pixels; I tought that with a 24'' 1080p with a pixel pitch of 0.272mm I wouldn't see any pixels, but I was wrong (I never had a monitor like this before so I wouldn't know).  Movies and games seem fine (though I haven't tuned the monitor yet ot tried the "cinema" and "game" modes), but with text and icons (sharp colours and contrast) the pixels are evident. It has the sharp setting at 60%, putting it at 40 reduces the pixelation somewhat but also cuts on the detail, even though very slightly.

Of course, all this could also mean that the panel is very sharp and detailed :D 

Anyway backing myself some 8 cm more the pixels pratically disappear, so that's a solution also, although the monitor realestate gets also smaller.

2)  1920x1080 is demanding, before I worked with a fraction of that resolution and things seemed faster, I guess I'll have to update the rest of the PC soon... :P

Also I lost sound because the driver switched the sound automatically to HDMI sound (though this monitor has no speakers), but I only had to switch the sound back to the VIA HD audio for my speakers. It was a silly thing they overlooked, but with such a cheap monitor with decent image, one can't complain.

One more thing: Contrarily to what many buyers say, this monitor *DOES* tilt up and down. It's in page 14 of the PDF manual: have it sit straight on your desk, secure the base with one hand and slowly but firmly push the top center of the screen, so the latter has a better angle with your eyes instead of just standing perpendicular to the table.

Now, does anyone knows a good monitor calibration website? :P

7 minutes ago, pipoawas said:

One more thing: Contrarily to what many buyers say, this monitor *DOES* tilt up and down. It's in page 14 of the PDF manual: have it sit straight on your desk, secure the base with one hand and slowly but firmly push the top center of the screen, so the latter has a better angle with your eyes instead of just standing perpendicular to the table.

Now, does anyone knows a good monitor calibration website? :P

Camel what? I guess try to look at linus monitor review

and can we talk in private message?

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

3 minutes ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

and can we talk in private message?

Sure