Partition ssd or not?

andybeech

Hi so iv had my gaming rig for a while which only has a 120gb ssd upgrading my 500gb HDD this week as my new 1tb baracuda however you spell it comes Tuesday, so I thought you know what im going to do a full clean install of everything windows drivers games the lot so I know its all good and working. The thought I had was is it worth me parting my ssd in half so 60gb or similar for just os and the other for small programs I want to run quicker on the other half and of course games and other programs on the 1tb or do I leave the full 120gb ssd as it is. The main issue I have is the despite only setting windows on the ssd it some reason is nearly full and the page file and some other sys files take up the other amount of space making the ssd full. Would parting it stop this issue as the windows can only use what is set and allow me to use some ssd space for lets say OBS, xsplit or steam. 

Also the main reason I ask is because for £30 i can get a 60gb ssd that I want to put in my laptop to use just for windows and its HDD as an external. but thats something else.

Thanks

Gaming rig: Windows 10 Home 64bit Gigabyte z370 hd3p Intel I5 8600k 16Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 240gb SSD & 1tb HDD Sound Blaster z, 2070 RTX windforce, Cooler Master Cosmos Case

Stream rig: Windows 10 Home 64bit, Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3, Amd FX 6100, 12gb mix ddr3 ram, 1060 3gb gtx windforce oc, avermedia c985, 120gb ssd, 500gb HDD, 

no, that's dumb

120GB is the minimum you want your OS SSD to be

19 minutes ago, zMeul said:

no, that's dumb

120GB is the minimum you want your OS SSD to be

Its not its called asking a simple question also why is 120gb the minimum? Why would they sell 60gb SSD's?

Min specs

• Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
  • RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
  • Free hard disk space: 16 GB
  • Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
  • A Microsoft account and Internet access

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/windows-10-specifications#system-specifications

Gaming rig: Windows 10 Home 64bit Gigabyte z370 hd3p Intel I5 8600k 16Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 240gb SSD & 1tb HDD Sound Blaster z, 2070 RTX windforce, Cooler Master Cosmos Case

Stream rig: Windows 10 Home 64bit, Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3, Amd FX 6100, 12gb mix ddr3 ram, 1060 3gb gtx windforce oc, avermedia c985, 120gb ssd, 500gb HDD, 

I would 100g for Windows. It will grow with updates. It also needs some spare space just to function. Eg a 1gb Windows update needs 1gb to download to and a further unknown amount to install to.

There are varying recommendations of how much free space you should have on a os drive from 50% to 10% free space. My 100g is just me multiplying 30g by 3. It will work with less but this is just what I would do, because Windows XP started out requiring 1gb, which was insane all those years ago, you can Google what sp3 ballooned out to

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

7 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I would 100g for Windows. It will grow with updates. It also needs some spare space just to function. Eg a 1gb Windows update needs 1gb to download to and a further unknown amount to install to.

There are varying recommendations of how much free space you should have on a os drive from 50% to 10% free space. My 100g is just me multiplying 30g by 3. It will work with less but this is just what I would do, because Windows XP started out requiring 1gb, which was insane all those years ago, you can Google what sp3 ballooned out to

Ok not to worry that was a better answer thanks so is it not with me getting the 60gb for my laptop just to speed it up a bit. 

On 6/25/2017 at 4:58 PM, andybeech said:

Its not its called asking a simple question also why is 120gb the minimum? Why would they sell 60gb SSD's?

if they still sell 60GB SSDs doesn't mean you should buy it

the problem with SSDs is that the SSD needs free space for SSD to operate in normal conditions, otherwise you will introduce early wearing of the SSD's cells