RAM Compatibility with MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon

Hey all,

When looking for a compatible motherboard, how important is it to match the RAM product code exactly with the support docs? I have CMK16GXM2A2400C14 and am looking at the MSI B350 Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard (which has CMK16GXM2A2400C16 but not CMK16GXM2A2400C14) whereas the ASUS ROG STRIX B350 does have my model exactly. 

Given my purchasing options (from Amazon UK ideally), the MSI board seems more readily available than the ASUS one and so I'm leaning more towards that (since the price is very similar), however, I don't want to get caught out and buy another set of RAM. From my limited knoweldge, the C14/16 bit is just the timings, and 14 is better than 16, so I'm thinking this might just mean that the MSI board hasnt been tested with this specific RAM running at those timings? I am probably horrendously wrong though, can anyone clear this up for me?

right now, very important. due to the AGESA updates, the mobo mannies are trying to update the UEFI for p-n-p RAM, but so far all are a bit behind.

timings or the RAM are the key elements to functionality. composition of flash memory (ICs) seems to be primary, speed, then timings. even the tertiary can make a no-go impact.

so either review and make purchases from the manufacturers QVL list or wait til the issues are ironed out (could be months).

Read the thread in my signature

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Thanks for the replies, complicated stuff, I think I'll go with the ASUS one since the MSI one hasnt had a BIOS update since mid april, and is still stuck on agesa 1.0.0.4a (and if thats a sign of things to come...)

20 minutes ago, SpacePumpkin said:

Thanks for the replies, complicated stuff, I think I'll go with the ASUS one since the MSI one hasnt had a BIOS update since mid april, and is still stuck on agesa 1.0.0.4a (and if thats a sign of things to come...)

Hey man, i have the same cancerboard, i use 3200MHz CL16 LPX kit from Corsair, everything is very stable and fine on the first XMP profile - 2933MHz, but with the second one with 3200MHz, it takes few tries to boot and then even doesnt work properly.I have written them on support like 20 minutes ago and ill see, also, Asus B350F Strix is kinda good if u dont care about IO cover (like i do)

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM

50 minutes ago, SpacePumpkin said:

they have beta BIOSes for AGESA 1006 

3 hours ago, dave_k said:

Hey man, i have the same cancerboard, i use 3200MHz CL16 LPX kit from Corsair, everything is very stable and fine on the first XMP profile - 2933MHz, but with the second one with 3200MHz, it takes few tries to boot and then even doesnt work properly.I have written them on support like 20 minutes ago and ill see, also, Asus B350F Strix is kinda good if u dont care about IO cover (like i do)

Actually ordered the Strix a few hours ago now. Whats so good about an IO cover? I kinda wanted that because the cover made the board look better, but then disregarded it because I'd prefer function over form, is there anything else that an IO cover offers other than looks?

Just now, dave_k said:

Aesthetics, i f_cked up entirely, because in my case you can't see the IO cover with the leds, but i am not sad, because the Strix has not the self overclocking abilities and isn't available in the shops that i like, on my B350 Carbon you have on gaming mode (MSI Gaming App) +100MHz on all cores while under 100% load, even more on the OC mode and even more when you enable Game Boost in BIOS (look the degree on overclock and set it). Thats why i wouldnt take the Strix over MSI. Also i like the precise fan voltage setting on MSI in bios.

For the ram compatibility - they have AGESA 1.0.0.6 in beta bioses that you have write their support in order to get.

Don't buy Apple M1 computers with 8GB of RAM