Recommended PSU for two GTX 580s

H0R53

I am talking about the nVidia GTX 580, not the AMD RX580. Please avoid posting "Why are you using these old cards, buy X card". i don't want to hear it. This is for a friend and they don't have that much money. I am buying this PSU as a gift.

I have two spare GTX 580s. One is paired with a Xeon X5460. The other has no home.

Will a 1000W PSU be sufficient for both? I've run the power hungry GTX 460 on a 245W PSU before, so the 400W requirement is BS. What is the smallest PSU I can get away with on 2 GTX 580s?

I already have the SLI bridge.

SeaSonic G is good, check that in my signature

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

You also want the PSU running at the peak efficiency which is at or about 60% load, that'll make it more  quiet and waste less AC power which is what you pay for

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

GTX 580s are notoriously power hungry, so I would recommend a decent 1000W power supply for two in SLI.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

8 hours ago, H0R53 said:

I am talking about the nVidia GTX 580, not the AMD RX580. Please avoid posting "Why are you using these old cards, buy X card". i don't want to hear it. This is for a friend and they don't have that much money. I am buying this PSU as a gift.

I have two spare GTX 580s. One is paired with a Xeon X5460. The other has no home.

Will a 1000W PSU be sufficient for both? I've run the power hungry GTX 460 on a 245W PSU before, so the 400W requirement is BS. What is the smallest PSU I can get away with on 2 GTX 580s?

I already have the SLI bridge.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-580-review,7.html

Each GPU without OC uses about 280W. So an 800W PSU would be a good choice. 1000W is more than OK. What PSU are you looking at? Perhaps take a gander at the EVGA 850B2?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

23 hours ago, DXMember said:

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

You also want the PSU running at the peak efficiency which is at or about 60% load, that'll make it more  quiet and waste less AC power which is what you pay for

Like I said this is for a friend. At the moment his rent is all-included flat rates. So one bill for everything regardless of consumption.

23 hours ago, HKZeroFive said:

GTX 580s are notoriously power hungry, so I would recommend a decent 1000W power supply for two in SLI.

Neato. Yeah even on a 750W with two X5355s the PSU would shut off if it went over a certain draw with one 580, but only during CUDA benchmarks.

15 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/geforce-gtx-580-review,7.html

Each GPU without OC uses about 280W. So an 800W PSU would be a good choice. 1000W is more than OK. What PSU are you looking at? Perhaps take a gander at the EVGA 850B2?

I was planning a light 100MHz OC, as that's what I do that works without fail.

I don't really know what PSUs to look at, my selection relies on experience.

I was thinking about a 1KW OEM Dell PSU that was originally for an Alienware or Precision workstation, because Dell PSUs are stupid reliable:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-U662D-UR006-H1000E-01-Compatible/dp/B00LNGHAW6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498467649&sr=8-1&keywords=dell+1000w

6 hours ago, H0R53 said:

I was thinking about a 1KW OEM Dell PSU that was originally for an Alienware or Precision workstation, because Dell PSUs are stupid reliable:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-U662D-UR006-H1000E-01-Compatible/dp/B00LNGHAW6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498467649&sr=8-1&keywords=dell+1000w

Make sure that PSU has the right PCI-E power outputs,

SLI 580 requires 2x8-pin and 2x 6-pin,

description lists 4x PCI-E connectors, the picture suggests they are all 6-pin though

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Be quiet recommends something heavy as a 1200w psu for that built properly, however i would need the cpu, cooling method and the ram and sata slot used in that. However it seems accurate in some way.

2 hours ago, DXMember said:

Make sure that PSU has the right PCI-E power outputs,

SLI 580 requires 2x8-pin and 2x 6-pin,

description lists 4x PCI-E connectors, the picture suggests they are all 6-pin though

Meh, the +2 on the 6+2 is a ground and a sense pin, as long as they are bridged the card will work. Like you can plug a normal six-pin into a card that requires an 8-pin, and then connect the two remaining slots with a wire and you should be fine.

2 hours ago, Brezzels said:

Be quiet recommends something heavy as a 1200w psu for that built properly, however i would need the cpu, cooling method and the ram and sata slot used in that. However it seems accurate in some way.

Be Quiet sucks monkey balls. Hahahaha why does anyone even think for half a second that some second-rate off-hand knockoff company is any good at all? Hahahahaha

BeQuiet does have some good quality, quiet power supplies (main OEM is FSP), and they are one of the few companies that didn't try to exploit the fact that many end-user prefer single rail and incorporated the multi-rail circuitry in their design. Him being a German also mean customer service / RMAs would be excellent / easier, as BeQuiet is base in Germany. Although they tend on the expensive side of things in other countries which may make them a rather poor value.

I don't see a where BQ had recommended 1200w for such a setup though even with their calculator.

Anyways, during typical gaming load, a non-overclocked GTX 580 can peak around 230wDC per card; however, cards that have the power limiter disabled can have it go up to 300wDC, IIRC. Due to that I'd probably a quality ~800w.

7 hours ago, quan289 said:

BeQuiet does have some good quality, quiet power supplies (main OEM is FSP), and they are one of the few companies that didn't try to exploit the fact that many end-user prefer single rail and incorporated the multi-rail circuitry in their design. Him being a German also mean customer service / RMAs would be excellent / easier, as BeQuiet is base in Germany. Although they tend on the expensive side of things in other countries which may make them a rather poor value.

I don't see a where BQ had recommended 1200w for such a setup though even with their calculator.

Anyways, during typical gaming load, a non-overclocked GTX 580 can peak around 230wDC per card; however, cards that have the power limiter disabled can have it go up to 300wDC, IIRC. Due to that I'd probably a quality ~800w.

I'm sure we all know who elese was based in Germany ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) 

I'll probably go with a Corsair CX800m or something like that, then. My current PSU is a Corsair CX600 and I have not had a single problem with it.

Corsair products are great, the only thing I don't like is paying an additional 10-20% of actual product value for the Corsair sticker that comes with it.

As of late, I've been seeing Corsair products to be a bit more competitive than before. It probably doesn't seem that way as you are comparing the cost of a budget series (CX850M) to an high-end one (RMx).

The CX850M is based on a different and superior platform than your previous CX600. If you can though, I would recommend getting the RM850x that cost $20 more. It's a higher-end unit that offer better electrical performance, build quality, efficiency, full modularity, longer 10 year warranty, and quieter operation. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139141

8 hours ago, quan289 said:

As of late, I've been seeing Corsair products to be a bit more competitive than before. It probably doesn't seem that way as you are comparing the cost of a budget series (CX850M) to an high-end one (RMx).

The CX850M is based on a different and superior platform than your previous CX600. If you can though, I would recommend getting the RM850x that cost $20 more. It's a higher-end unit that offer better electrical performance, build quality, efficiency, full modularity, longer 10 year warranty, and quieter operation. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139141

The CX600, as I've said, has had absolutely no problems under heavy load. With a GTX 950 FTW, a 1050ti FTW, an Intel Xeon E3 1240, and five 3.5 inch drives, it doesn't break a sweat.

22 minutes ago, H0R53 said:

The CX600, as I've said, has had absolutely no problems under heavy load. With a GTX 950 FTW, a 1050ti FTW, an Intel Xeon E3 1240, and five 3.5 inch drives, it doesn't break a sweat.

Yeah, even if you were to put a heavy load on each of those components, that's still a ~300wDC setup. While it is budget unit that based on a basic design, the CX600 isn't as bad as some people make it out to be that it couldn't handle such loads. My point was simply that the CX850M is based on a more modern, superior design than the CX600 (even more so, since it will be an updated unit). And that if you are able to put $20 more into your budget, the RM850x is well worth the investment since it is on sale.

1 hour ago, quan289 said:

Yeah, even if you were to put a heavy load on each of those components, that's still a ~300wDC setup. While it is budget unit that based on a basic design, the CX600 isn't as bad as some people make it out to be that it couldn't handle such loads. My point was simply that the CX850M is based on a more modern, superior design than the CX600 (even more so, since it will be an updated unit). And that if you are able to put $20 more into your budget, the RM850x is well worth the investment since it is on sale.

I think the CX850m will do just fine. Thanks for the suggestion though.