eBay buyer claims CPU is DOA when I tested it prior to shipping

Poll  

86 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do?

• Refund the buyer the $24 for the CPU and let him keep the CPU, thus me losing $6.43 in eBay, PayPal, and shipping fees along with the $24 CPU
    • Refund the buyer the $24 for the CPU, but require it set back to me, thus me losing $9.10 in eBay, PayPal, and shipping fees and have a potentially dead CPU that would be worthless in it's dead state
    • Contest his claims with eBay, (to which I will most likely lose as eBay tends to favor buyers over sellers)

If you have proof that it worked prior to shipping I'd take it through eBay since the retard is clearly just trying to get free shit.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Have him return the cpu to you using shipping with tracking information (signed for, or something like that, if he complains say you'll add 2-3$ extra to the refund for the shipping costs if the cpu is actually bad) - he can place the cpu in a DVD case or something like that and mail it as a regular envelope instead of package to save on postage.

Test the cpu when it comes back to you but afterwards, probably it's just easier to refund the money anyway.

Also be careful ... Unless you see the serial number of the cpu in the pictures on eBay, he may try to trick you and send you another cpu with broken pins or something like that (i don't remember if q6600 is pga or lga)

But in all seriousness, it's probably just better for you and your eBay reputation to just refund the money as soon as you receive the cpu back no matter if it's good or bad and take the few dollars of loss in ebay fees.

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Have him return the cpu to you using shipping with tracking information (signed for, or something like that, if he complains say you'll add 2-3$ extra to the refund for the shipping costs if the cpu is actually bad) - he can place the cpu in a DVD case or something like that and mail it as a regular envelope instead of package to save on postage.

Test the cpu when it comes back to you but afterwards, probably it's just easier to refund the money anyway.

Also be careful ... Unless you see the serial number of the cpu in the pictures on eBay, he may try to trick you and send you another cpu with broken pins or something like that (i don't remember if q6600 is pga or lga)

But in all seriousness, it's probably just better for you and your eBay reputation to just refund the money as soon as you receive the cpu back no matter if it's good or bad and take the few dollars of loss in ebay fees.

CPU should be LGA. Only the laptop Core 2 series are PGA. Also, since it does have a heatspreader, identification markings cannot be easily changed without causing obvious damage.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

yeah it would lose around $6.43 in eBay, Paypal, and shipping fees if I let him keep the CPU, I would lose around $10 if I ask for it back. So in this case, im pretty much fucked either way. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

2 minutes ago, Zodiark1593 said:

CPU should be LGA. Only the laptop Core 2 series are PGA. Also, since it does have a heatspreader, identification markings cannot be easily changed without causing obvious damage.

The batch number is on the IHS not the serial. I thinks it's on the PCB right below the IHS in the valley of the lid.

1 minute ago, Zodiark1593 said:

heres the photo of the CPU. The photo in the listing are that of what I sent him. So I will know if he is sending a dud cpu. 

IMG_0029.JPG

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

4 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

heres the photo of the CPU. The photo in the listing are that of what I sent him. So I will know if he is sending a dud cpu. 

IMG_0029.JPG

OK you can match those imperfections on the IHS. Unless he blowtorches and swaps the lids.

Edit: the number in white on black might be the UPC.

1 minute ago, dexT said:

OK you can match those imperfections on the IHS. Unless he blowtorches and swaps the lids.

If he swaps lids wouldn't the number on the black piece be different?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

i doubt he would go through all that trouble to swap the lid. even if he did, there would be clearly signs of tampering. 

Just now, PCGuy_5960 said:

Unless it's the UPC not serial. I don't think those are unique.

4 minutes ago, dexT said:

Unless he blowtorches and swaps the lids.

That's some mighty thinking right there. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Just now, dexT said:

Unless it's the UPC not serial. I don't think those are unique.

the ATPO number on the PCB is always unique, it will never match another CPU. its basically the serial number. Again unless he sands/grinds away the IHS and the ATPO number then that would be the only way he could hid it, to which i could say that there is obvious tampering and attempt to hide the indentifying markings on the CPU. 

4 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

the ATPO number on the PCB is always unique, it will never match another CPU. its basically the serial number. Again unless he sands/grinds away the IHS and the ATPO number then that would be the only way he could hid it, to which i could say that there is obvious tampering and attempt to hide the indentifying markings on the CPU. 

Yeah I just busted out a 10 pack of Core 2 Duo and the top number matches on all but the bottom number is unique.

Can't tell but they're all different on the second number because of my crappy Note 4 camera 

20170625_133213.jpg

11 hours ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

i did, he claims that he's running the latest BIOS revision on his ASUS motherboard. I'm honestly not afraid of improper installation, im more afraid of ebay scammers and the bait and switchers

It still could be his board. I had a 680i board that didn't work with the later 775 dualcores. E8200 or E7200, I forget which. TH E PLX chip died. I loved that board. 

Just now, dexT said:

Yeah I just busted out a 10 pack of Core 2 Duo and the top number matches on all but the bottom number is unique.

Can't tell but they're all different on the second number because of my crappy Note 4 camera 

the ATPO number is the bottom number on the PCB of the CPU, the top number is the batch number. 

11 hours ago, Jerped said:

I live in Quebec, if you have his address I can go there and beat the crap out of him to provide you pictures :P

But honestly, I would call it scam and try to solve it like @Hiitchy said, using a moderator form ebay.

If he doesn't provide proof, he doesn't deserve refund. 

Go kick his butt, please.

17 minutes ago, corsairian said:

It still could be his board. I had a 680i board that didn't work with the later 775 dualcores. E8200 or E7200, I forget which. TH E PLX chip died. I loved that board. 

I'm contemplating that it may be he's just trying to get a free CPU, he claimed that he had a core 2 duo on the motherboard before, and what I think happened was that he wanted an upgrade so he basically bought my CPU, claimed that it was bad, and when he sends the return request, it will be the core 2 DUO that he sends back to me, so basically I lose money on the eBay paypal and shipping fees and he gets a free CPU and im stuck with a $7 hole in my wallet, and a useless core 2 duo. 

5 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

I'm morely thinking that it may be his CPU that was bad, he claimed that he had a core 2 duo on the motherboard before, and what I think happened was that he wanted an upgrade so he basically bought my CPU, claimed that it was bad, and when he sends the return request, it will be the core 2 DUO that he sends back to me, so basically I lose money on the eBay paypal and shipping fees and he gets a free CPU and im stuck with a $7 hole in my wallet, and a useless core 2 duo. 

Obviously, if he sends back the wrong product, Ebay will side with you in a dispute. Probably the best thing to do is to ensure that the buyer doesn't get a free cpu.

My eyes see the past…

Use poopsender.com

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, Zodiark1593 said:

Obviously, if he sends back the wrong product, Ebay will side with you in a dispute. Probably the best thing to do is to ensure that the buyer doesn't get a free cpu.

I know, but I have heard that eBay disputes after the refund is damn near impossible even if he sends a phony CPU and I really want to fight this case, but I don't know if its worth the effort to do so because it would take weeks and all that time and effort could honestly be put into something else instead. I'll call up eBay CS and see what they have to say about this because the buyer really sounds like a sham since he is just ignoring all my requests for photos.  

This reminds me of a small story. I had a friend that wanted to speed up his old P4 system with a socket LGA 775. Aside from a couple other things, I picked up a Core 2 Due E8400 from Amazon for about $18. Disappointingly, I quickly found the chipset was not compatible with the cpu (a shame, I really wanted something to overclock). In addition, it looked like a contact point on the cpu had been scorched, unknown if it was me, or if the cpu was like that. I opted to eat the loss due to the above factors, and also, add to my (small) collection of cpus.

My eyes see the past…

1 hour ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

That'd require desoldering the IHS. Not something that is anywhere near easy.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

3 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

This reminds me of a small story. I had a friend that wanted to speed up his old P4 system with a socket LGA 775. Aside from a couple other things, I picked up a Core 2 Due E8400 from Amazon for about $18. Disappointingly, I quickly found the chipset was not compatible with the cpu (a shame, I really wanted something to overclock). In addition, it looked like a contact point on the cpu had been scorched, unknown if it was me, or if the cpu was like that. I opted to eat the loss due to the above factors, and also, add to my (small) collection of cpus.

And this buyer is just a one hell of a bloody prick. If its under $20 for me I would accept the lost and not bother the seller since I know what its like to be a seller and the kind of headaches of customers they have to deal with. Been there, done that. $20 as a buyer is not worth my time to sit down, open a case, dispute or make up some bullshit lie to the seller to get my money back and a free CPU that i'll just end up selling on craigslist for dirt cheap to make it disappear. 

5 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

And this buyer is just a one hell of a bloody prick. If its under $20 for me I would accept the lost and not bother the seller since I know what its like to be a seller and the kind of headaches of customers they have to deal with. Been there, done that. $20 as a buyer is not worth my time to sit down, open a case, dispute or make up some bullshit lie to the seller to get my money back and a free CPU that i'll just end up selling on craigslist for dirt cheap to make it disappear. 

If they don't provide any evidence then the case will be closed in your favour. I was in the process of getting my money back on 4x 4GB DDR3 1066 sticks that didn't work (well, they were recognised with a working stick installed but that was it) and weren't at the correct speed (they were listed as DDR3 1600). Since it would have cost me more to travel to my Aunt's place to test the sticks in her PC (she's the only family member with a desktop that supports DDR3) I couldn't provide evidence that my PC wasn't at fault so the case was closed and nothing happened.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL