eBay buyer claims CPU is DOA when I tested it prior to shipping

Poll  

86 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do?

• Refund the buyer the $24 for the CPU and let him keep the CPU, thus me losing $6.43 in eBay, PayPal, and shipping fees along with the $24 CPU
    • Refund the buyer the $24 for the CPU, but require it set back to me, thus me losing $9.10 in eBay, PayPal, and shipping fees and have a potentially dead CPU that would be worthless in it's dead state
    • Contest his claims with eBay, (to which I will most likely lose as eBay tends to favor buyers over sellers)

Hi, so I recently sold a $24 Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 CPU on eBay to a buyer that is located in Quebec, Canada and I'm located in the Silicon Valley in California. The buyer used a forwarding service as his PO box to bypass the international buyer restrictions and now he is claiming that the CPU doesn't work even though I tested it prior to shipping it to him. Since he filed an "item not as described" claim, I am stuck paying for the return shipping of the CPU if I were to require him to send it back to me. I'm currently stuck at what to do since I feel that it's a zero sum outcome for me, no matter what option I choose. What are you guys thoughts on this. Has anyone ran into a sticky situation similar to mines? 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Have you been able to verify exactly how it is dead? Did the buyer install it in the correct position? Are the pins bent on their motherboard? You don't have to accept the refund request right away, you do have the right to troubleshoot and figure out exactly what went wrong before you say "Okay let's just refund this"

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

4 minutes ago, Hiitchy said:

Have you been able to verify exactly how it is dead? Did the buyer install it in the correct position? Are the pins bent on their motherboard? You don't have to accept the refund request right away, you do have the right to troubleshoot and figure out exactly what went wrong before you say "Okay let's just refund this"

I don't know, honestly this buyer has been one stubborn person because I have requested multiple times for images, to which he never provided. Then he throws a tantrum saying how he'll leave negative feedback and how I'm wasting his time, how he would just refund and let his buyer keep the item, etc. 

But honestly, I don't know if this headache of a buyer is worth the $24 or it would be much easier to just lose a total of $30 and let him keep the CPU so I don't have to deal with him anymore. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

Ask him if he has his bios updated, 775 is a weird socket so he might not have the microcode for it

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

And this is why you don't sell things online.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Well, if you contest the claim with Ebay, there's apparently a 'forum' that's held between you two, with an Ebay employee as a moderator. In that case, you'd just have to prove that you requested proof the CPU was working before you shipped it, and in the same token, the buyer would have to provide proof (most likely video proof) of them trying to turn the PC on, as well as a photo of the motherboard, the pins of the CPU socket, and both sides of the CPU die.

You might also want to do what @Djole123 recommended.

"The only thing that matters right now is that you're here, and you're safe."

Just now, Djole123 said:

Ask him if he has his bios updated, 775 is a weird socket so he might not have the microcode for it

i did, he claims that he's running the latest BIOS revision on his ASUS motherboard. I'm honestly not afraid of improper installation, im more afraid of ebay scammers and the bait and switchers

1 minute ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

i did, he claims that he's running the latest BIOS revision on his ASUS motherboard. I'm honestly not afraid of improper installation, im more afraid of ebay scammers and the bait and switchers

I am guessing he is trying to run off some ancient board that doesn't support that CPU. Ask him what board he is using, if he is using an incompatible board, tell him to shove it up his arse.

1 minute ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

I am guessing he is trying to run off some ancient board that doesn't support that CPU. Ask him what board he is using, if he is using an incompatible board, tell him to shove it up his arse.

Asus P5N32-E SLI. 775 that's the motherboard that he claims he had it installed on. Though I asked him at least 4 times for photo or video proof of the CPU not working and he has still yet to provide it. 

3 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Asus P5N32-E SLI. 775 that's the motherboard that he claims he had it installed on. Though I asked him at least 4 times for photo or video proof of the CPU not working and he has still yet to provide it. 

I live in Quebec, if you have his address I can go there and beat the crap out of him to provide you pictures :P

But honestly, I would call it scam and try to solve it like @Hiitchy said, using a moderator form ebay.

If he doesn't provide proof, he doesn't deserve refund. 

1 minute ago, Jerped said:

I live in Quebec, if you have his address I can go there and beat the crap out of him to provide you pictures :P

But honestly, I would call it scam and try to solve it like @Hiitchy said, using a moderator form ebay.

If he doesn't provide proof, he doesn't deserve refund. 

Lol unfortunately I don't have his address since he used a forwarding service as his PO box. But here is his seller account. I don't know but it looks legit.. unless hes a professional scammer that knows how to exploit the eBay loopholes to prevent negative feedback. 

http://www.ebay.com/usr/stevespideycomics?_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2754

I wen to the guys address - this is the pic I git:

vALJU72.jpg

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

Just now, DXMember said:

I wen to the guys address - this is the pic I git:

holy damn, lol but thats a LGA 115X socket

Just now, glitchmaster0001 said:

holy damn, lol but thats a LGA 115X socket

ye, he said he tried to install it - he put the golden triangle the right way, then shut the socket, apply TiM, mount cooler and it just don't boot

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

Just now, DXMember said:

ye, he said he tried to install it - he put the golden triangle the right way, then shut the socket, apply TiM, mount cooler and it just don't boot

lol most likely what happened. And when I asked for photos, hes like "my camera's battery is being charged right now" 

5 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Lol unfortunately I don't have his address since he used a forwarding service as his PO box. But here is his seller account. I don't know but it looks legit.. unless hes a professional scammer that knows how to exploit the eBay loopholes to prevent negative feedback. 

http://www.ebay.com/usr/stevespideycomics?_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2754

Yeahhhh looking at his profile I'm not really sure... 

But can't you play the PO box card?   Like the problem could have come from the shipping from his PO box to his address?

I don't know regulations regarding the use of PO box, but skipping importation fees could potentially ruin him completely if he gets cough. 

4 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

lol most likely what happened. And when I asked for photos, hes like "my camera's battery is being charged right now" 

legit sounds like professional scammer

also, may I ask how did you package the CPU for shipping?

Just now, Jerped said:

Yeahhhh looking at his profile I'm not really sure... 

But can't you play the PO box card?   Like the problem could have come from the shipping from his PO box to his address?

I don't know regulations regarding the use of PO box, but skipping importation fees could potentially ruin him completely if he gets cough. 

I don't know, he claims that he crosses the board to this place called Freeport Forwarding to pick up his items. But I dont know eBay since they themselves have been known to be unreliable as hell when it comes to settling disputes. 

42 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Hi, so I recently sold a $24 Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 CPU on eBay to a buyer that is located in Quebec, Canada and I'm located in the Silicon Valley in California. The buyer used a forwarding service as his PO box to bypass the international buyer restrictions and now he is claiming that the CPU doesn't work even though I tested it prior to shipping it to him. Since he filed an "item not as described" claim, I am stuck paying for the return shipping of the CPU if I were to require him to send it back to me. I'm currently stuck at what to do since I feel that it's a zero sum outcome for me, no matter what option I choose. What are you guys thoughts on this. Has anyone ran into a sticky situation similar to mines? 

He must send proof the CPU is dead and send it back. After you get it back only then refund the money.

Seems like a scumbag or idiot to me. Probably has a dead motherboard and blames the CPU or some shit like that.

That's the reason why I make a video of the working item with that days newspaper just before I send it. Call me paranoid but it saves a lot of hassle sometimes... :P

\\ QUIET AUDIO WORKSTATION //

5960X 3.7GHz @ 0.983V / ASUS X99-A USB3.1      

32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 & 2667MHz @ 1.2V

AMD R9 Fury X

256GB SM961 + 1TB Samsung 850 Evo  

Cooler Master Silencio 652S (soon Calyos NSG S0 ^^)              

Noctua NH-D15 / 3x NF-S12A                 

Seasonic PRIME Titanium 750W        

Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum / Logitech G900

2x Samsung S24E650BW 16:10  / Adam A7X / Fractal Axe Fx 2 Mark I

Windows 7 Ultimate

4K GAMING/EMULATION RIG

Xeon X5670 4.2Ghz (200BCLK) @ ~1.38V / Asus P6X58D Premium

12GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz

Gainward GTX 1080 Golden Sample

Intel 535 Series 240 GB + San Disk SSD Plus 512GB

Corsair Crystal 570X

Noctua NH-S12 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 11 650W

Logitech K830

Xbox One Wireless Controller

Logitech Z623 Speakers/Subwoofer

Windows 10 Pro

I would ask him to return the item, if he paid through paypal. He can get shipping cost back through paypal. Only Refund him after you get the item back, and film unboxing it. Did you record yourself packing the item and shipping it? I usually do it on high priced items, so they cant say i send the wrong item and send shit back to me. If you film sending working item, he and got it, ebay will back you, unless the buyer show proof. 

Magical Pineapples

7 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

Tell him, to charge it and take a photo. 

Magical Pineapples

1 minute ago, Vode said:

He must send proof the CPU is dead and send it back. After you get it back only then refund the money.

In an honest world yes but unfortunately eBay heavily favours the buyer and will refund without proof of any kind. This + the fees are why I only buy on eBay and never sell, after being stung like this in the past. The protection from eBay/Paypal is very biased toward the buyer. Good luck but you are reliant on the buyer being a decent person which they don't seem to be. If he processes this through the eBay buyer protection he will get his money back and the item.

Good luck @glitchmaster0001

2 minutes ago, DXMember said:

legit sounds like professional scammer

also, may I ask how did you package the CPU for shipping?

I packaged it in one of these things.

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0047.JPG

Honestly, I'd try and report him to ebay, explain to them that he isn't assisting you with the diagnostics, hopefully ebay will help you, but ebay is sketchy AF