How much will a 4s battery help my.lack of power?

Legolessed

I built a really nice slope soarer that uses a 1000mah 3s and a 1000kv motor with a 30amp esc and a 7x5 prop. It feels underpowered though. Would it be better to upgrade the motor, esc, and prop or the battery. I would rather upgrade down the path that's cheapest. All my chargers only support 2s and 3s so that's a part of the cost. Thanks!

Well adding another cell would add another 4.2V that goes across the motor coils, which is a pretty significant increase.

ASU

Your motors and ESC need to support 4s, otherwise you risk overheating or burning it out.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

10 hours ago, Enderman said:

Your motors and ESC need to support 4s, otherwise you risk overheating or burning it out.

My esc says 2s to 4s, I have no idea about the motor. The only thing I know about it is it's 1000kv, which makes me believe it supports it because usually higher cell count lower kv

10 hours ago, Enderman said:

11 hours ago, Hackentosher said:

Well adding another cell would add another 4.2V that goes across the motor coils, which is a pretty significant increase.

What if I just added another engine to the plane and turned it into a duel engine plane? I have two 1000mah 3s batteries or I could just use one. Would that help my thrust issue? If this would help how would I set up differential thrust on my fs-i6 the throttle would be on channel 3 and 4 instead of just channel 3.

42 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

My esc says 2s to 4s, I have no idea about the motor. The only thing I know about it is it's 1000kv, which makes me believe it supports it because usually higher cell count lower kv

It can probably take 4S then.

12 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

What if I just added another engine to the plane and turned it into a duel engine plane? I have two 1000mah 3s batteries or I could just use one. Would that help my thrust issue? If this would help how would I set up differential thrust on my fs-i6 the throttle would be on channel 3 and 4 instead of just channel 3.

That would add a ton of weight, and you would need another ESC too.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

46 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It can probably take 4S then.

That would add a ton of weight, and you would need another ESC too.

I have another motor and each that are exactly the same. Would it help? My esc is also only a 12 amp, I thought it was a 30 amp but it's not. Should I get a 30 amp esc and a 4s battery or do this duel motor thing

2 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

I have another motor and each that are exactly the same. Would it help? My esc is also only a 12 amp, I thought it was a 30 amp but it's not. Should I get a 30 amp esc and a 4s battery or do this duel motor thing

I don't know, you would need to redo the entire weight distribution and mounting and everything.

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I don't know, you would need to redo the entire weight distribution and mounting and everything.

Ya, I think 4s is my best bet, or getting a bigger motor and prop to use on 3s, is there any way I can charge 4s on a 3s battery charger?

5 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

Ya, I think 4s is my best bet, or getting a bigger motor and prop to use on 3s, is there any way I can charge 4s on a 3s battery charger?

Nop.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

Then what should I do?

I already said I don't know dude, it's up to you.

Spoiler

27 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I already said I don't know dude, it's up to you.

Can I charge a 4s directly from the balance plug? I'm thinking to charge the 4s I could take the xt60 on a 6s and wire it to the 4s.

Can I charge a 4s directly from the balance plug? I'm thinking to charge the 4s I could take the xt60 on a 6s and wire it to the 4s.

What charger?

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Enderman said:

What charger?

No I'm saying I could wire two 3s batteries in series and then wire the 4s into the mix using the xt60 plug. Unless there's a 4s charger for under $10 or a way to convert a 3s balance port to a 4s. I'm still playing with the idea of the duel engines. Ya it would add weight but it would be twice the power. Is there a way to set it up so it just does motor power? Is that easier to set up?

No I'm saying I could wire two 3s batteries in series and then wire the 4s into the mix using the xt60 plug. Unless there's a 4s charger for under $10 or a way to convert a 3s balance port to a 4s. I'm still playing with the idea of the duel engines. Ya it would add weight but it would be twice the power. Is there a way to set it up so it just does motor power? Is that easier to set up?

No that would not work, it needs to be a 4s balance or charge plug.

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Darn it. My duel engine idea seems to be becoming the cheapest.

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

what would you call an adapter that converts 2 servo leads into 1 for your reciever.

3 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

what would you call an adapter that converts 2 servo leads into 1 for your reciever.

A servo Y adapter or splitter.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Enderman said:

A servo Y adapter or splitter.

I know I have been asking a ton from.you but is there any way to identify a motor? 

14984371712231717810146.jpg

10 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

I know I have been asking a ton from.you but is there any way to identify a motor? 

Unless there is some name on it, not really...

Spoiler

Just now, Enderman said:

Unless there is some name on it, not really...

darn it. im trying to figure out what pitch of 7 inch prop i can put on it. I have a 7x5 on it now and it doesnt even get hot, does that mean i could try a 7x6?

If a 7x5 doesn't make it hot, a 7x6 will work fine. You could also go to 8" with lower pitch instead of increasing cell count.