Camaro ss for a teen

Go to solution Solved by Aytex,
18 minutes ago, Statik said:

OP I also want to ask, in what place does a 15 year old legally drive at 15? I'm under the impression it's 16 in the majority of the world. And what do you do that allows you to drive a 800hp car for at 2 hours a day? 

I mean, why do celebs buy Lamborghini to go like 1 mile. same reason usually, "I have a cool car"

I think some people here are in denial that this dude has rich parents that can provide this type of stuff for their children.

I mean if I was in your same situation I would say hell yea. 

And yeah there are better ways to invest your money if you were able to use the money your parents were using.

Dumb idea. You'll die in a crash before you're twenty.

If your parents are gonna get you a new car, they should get you something with much less power, that is also much safer. If you're gonna be spoiled AF, at least be spoiled safely so you don't die to your parent's bad decisions.

I used to be quite active here.

17 minutes ago, yathis said:

Insurance rates decrease when you are 26 yrs old. Should go down to $100 or $150/m, old people 50+ get $60-$75/m insurance rate.

BC is provincial insurance, but Alberta is all priviti$ed.

I'm 27 and pay about $65/mo for 500k/500k (liability only).

OP:

Personally, if my kid needed a car to get around for work or school or whatever I would offer him 50/50 on a typical teen car cost (<$4k), if he wants more for his first car then the difference is on him/her if he settles for a beater he can get away with paying almost nothing. Any increases in insurance cost due to getting a nicer car or any tickets/accidents is also on him/her. Doesn't matter how rich I am, teaching a kid financial responsibility is extremely valuable and giving them a car that even the average middle class adult can barely afford is not doing them any favors and IMO asking for trouble. Getting a shitty job as a teen to pay for things you want is also very valuable. Having to work retail or fast food as a kid can give you a lot of perspective and maybe keep people from gaining an elitist attitude and respecting those who are not as well off as they are.

This is what my parents did with me (despite them not having to), and although I didn't like it at the time, in retrospect I appreciate them instilling responsible values in me. Especially when I see my peers that have very good paying careers squander it due to poor judgement and lack of financial education. If you're making more than $50k a year, don't have kids or medical debt and still are struggling financially, you are not making good choices. Re-learning good financial habits as an adult can be very tough and the things you learn as a kid stick with you for life. A car might be a very small part of the big picture but it definitely contributes to the overall result. Think of what all that money can be used for if properly invested, or used to educate yourself, or as a startup fund for an entrepreneur. Wasting it on an expensive car at that age is just dumb...

Not to mention, for those kids who have a passion for cars and really love them, the best option would be to buy a fix-me-up and some tools and rebuild your own car. You get way more sentimental value, learn a lot more, get a lot more enjoyment out of it, and it costs way less and feeds your passion.

Primary PC-

CPU: Intel i7-6800k @ 4.2-4.4Ghz   CPU COOLER: Bequiet Dark Rock Pro 4   MOBO: MSI X99A SLI Plus   RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX quad-channel DDR4-2800  GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX   PSU: Corsair RM1000i   CASE: Corsair 750D Obsidian   SSDs: 500GB Samsung 960 Evo + 256GB Samsung 850 Pro   HDDs: Toshiba 3TB + Seagate 1TB   Monitors: Acer Predator XB271HUC 27" 2560x1440 (165Hz G-Sync)  +  LG 29UM57 29" 2560x1080   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Album

Other Systems:

Spoiler

Home HTPC/NAS-

CPU: AMD FX-8320 @ 4.4Ghz  MOBO: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3   RAM: 16GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 760 OC   PSU: Rosewill 750W   CASE: Antec Gaming One   SSD: 120GB PNY CS1311   HDDs: WD Red 3TB + WD 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200 -or- Steam Link to Vizio M43C1 43" 4K TV  OS: Windows 10 Pro

Offsite NAS/VM Server-

CPU: 2x Xeon E5645 (12-core)  Model: Dell PowerEdge T610  RAM: 16GB DDR3-1333  PSUs: 2x 570W  SSDs: 8GB Kingston Boot FD + 32GB Sandisk Cache SSD   HDDs: WD Red 4TB + Seagate 2TB + Seagate 320GB   OS: FreeNAS 11+

Laptop-

CPU: Intel i7-3520M   Model: Dell Latitude E6530   RAM: 8GB dual-channel DDR3-1600  GPU: Nvidia NVS 5200M   SSD: 240GB TeamGroup L5   HDD: WD Black 320GB   Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM 26" 1920x1200   OS: Windows 10 Pro

Having issues with a Corsair AIO? Possible fix here:

Spoiler

Are you getting weird fan behavior, speed fluctuations, and/or other issues with Link?

Are you running AIDA64, HWinfo, CAM, or HWmonitor? (ASUS suite & other monitoring software often have the same issue.)

Corsair Link has problems with some monitoring software so you may have to change some settings to get them to work smoothly.

-For AIDA64: First make sure you have the newest update installed, then, go to Preferences>Stability and make sure the "Corsair Link sensor support" box is checked and make sure the "Asetek LC sensor support" box is UNchecked.

-For HWinfo: manually disable all monitoring of the AIO sensors/components.

-For others: Disable any monitoring of Corsair AIO sensors.

That should fix the fan issue for some Corsair AIOs (H80i GT/v2, H110i GTX/H115i, H100i GTX and others made by Asetek). The problem is bad coding in Link that fights for AIO control with other programs. You can test if this worked by setting the fan speed in Link to 100%, if it doesn't fluctuate you are set and can change the curve to whatever. If that doesn't work or you're still having other issues then you probably still have a monitoring software interfering with the AIO/Link communications, find what it is and disable it.

6 minutes ago, pyrojoe34 said:

I'm 27 and pay about $65/mo for 500k/500k (liability only).

OP:

Personally, if my kid needed a car to get around for work or school or whatever I would offer him 50/50 on a typical teen car cost (<$4k), if he wants more for his first car then the difference is on him/her if he settles for a beater he can get away with paying almost nothing. Any increases in insurance cost due to getting a nicer car or any tickets/accidents is also on him/her. Doesn't matter how rich I am, teaching a kid financial responsibility is extremely valuable and giving them a car that even the average middle class adult can barely afford is not doing them any favors and IMO asking for trouble. Getting a shitty job as a teen to pay for things you want is also very valuable. Having to work retail or fast food as a kid can give you a lot of perspective and maybe keep people from gaining an elitist attitude and respecting those who are not as well off as they are.

This is what my parents did with me (despite them not having to), and although I didn't like it at the time, in retrospect I appreciate them instilling responsible values in me. Especially when I see my peers that have very good paying careers squander it due to poor judgement and lack of financial education. If you're making more than $50k a year, don't have kids or medical debt and still are struggling financially, you are not making good choices. Re-learning good financial habits as an adult can be very tough and the things you learn as a kid stick with you for life. A car might be a very small part of the big picture but it definitely contributes to the overall result.

Totally agree...

I live of 20k a year before taxes by myself. Now I even have car payments. I get by just can't go on spending sprees. I am part of a family of 8 so my parents never spoiled me and I had to pay for most of the things I wanted.

1 hour ago, yathis said:

Again - More money then brains!!

Just imagine what $50k or $30k investment would turn into in 25 years. Just imagine it for a second. I will do a quick Excel spreadsheet on it right now.

Done, so $50k @ 4.5% in 25 years time its worth $150,000 and in 40 years its worth $300k, 50 years is $450k.

1 hour ago, Froody129 said:

If he/she/it is 15 then next year you're going to see an abrupt stop to their posting activity on LTT. Seriously, if your parents are willing to buy you this, just take the money and invest it.

We have already done that.

1 hour ago, Kobathor said:

Dumb idea. You'll die in a crash before you're twenty.

If your parents are gonna get you a new car, they should get you something with much less power, that is also much safer. If you're gonna be spoiled AF, at least be spoiled safely so you don't die to your parent's bad decisions.

I have drove my dads 800hp car plenty of times and smashed it to do floor a lot of times. I drive day in and day out at least 2 hours a day...and 800hp compared to 455hp... Well i am pretty sure you know the difference... also I would be more likely to die in a slow car (trying to go fast) than in a fast car knowing the capabilities and respecting the power of the car

19 minutes ago, Endrivia said:

I have drove my dads 800hp car plenty of times and smashed it to do floor a lot of times. I drive day in and day out at least 2 hours a day...and 800hp compared to 455hp... Well i am pretty sure you know the difference... also I would be more likely to die in a slow car (trying to go fast) than in a fast car knowing the capabilities and respecting the power of the car

Or you could just drive safely.

I used to be quite active here.

21 minutes ago, JayKay3000 said:

just fyi, the road is not your race track.

did i say it was? 

Since that's way over the capabilities of a lot of adults, giving it to a teen is a fucking terrible idea. Hell, giving a teen access to a car with 250HP is a sketchy idea.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

7 hours ago, AshleyAshes said:

$20 says the OP is 16 and their parents won't let them have a Camaro.

Could also be a parent wanting a Camaro, but realizes kid will drive it too.

A very heavy, rwd, 500 HP, impractical vehicle is not a good choice for anything but a "fun" car. Even the fun part is debatable on public roads, really.

An agile, reasonably practical vehicle would be a much better fit. Not quite Miata type of size, but a lighter vehicle can be more fun and economical to drive than a big, heavy, powerful vehicle.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

57 minutes ago, Endrivia said:

also I would be more likely to die in a slow car (trying to go fast) than in a fast car knowing the capabilities and respecting the power of the car

This goes to show you're a moron and have no idea what you're talking about.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

21 minutes ago, Endrivia said:

-snip-

OP I also want to ask, in what place does a 15 year old legally drive at 15? I'm under the impression it's 16 in the majority of the world. And what do you do that allows you to drive a 800hp car for at 2 hours a day? 

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Man would I be happy if I would have a car (any car) given to me at the age where I could get a license.

I would be thrilled beyond my mind if I got a car that was 'only' 10 years old.

1 hour ago, Endrivia said:

I would be more likely to die in a slow car (trying to go fast) than in a fast car knowing the capabilities and respecting the power of the car

This raises a flag for me. Since this means (to me) that you're already willing to go too fast in any car. You should respect the power, weight, and size of any vehicle that is on the road.

It's a lot more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slow.

Edit: Another example. You might have a Charger Hellcat. But a Toyota GT86 or a Mazda Miata could beat it around a track.

9 minutes ago, Statik said:

Where I live if you're 15 you can drive with a permit and a adult in the passenger seat.  (Alabama)

18 minutes ago, Statik said:

I mean, why do celebs buy Lamborghini to go like 1 mile. same reason usually, "I have a cool car"

I think some people here are in denial that this dude has rich parents that can provide this type of stuff for their children.

And yeah there are better ways to invest your money if you were able to use the money your parents were using.

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

Just having a car at the age of 16 would mean that you were cool as heck. Even if it was a Toyota Corolla with less than 100 hp.

Just now, GlassBomb said:

Just having a car at the age of 16 would mean that you were cool as heck. Even if it was a Toyota Corolla with less than 100 hp.

Yeah you're not wrong, having to drive my moms cars is a pain in the butt.

Hell even my friend's prius is dope cause of the fuel efficiency haha.

2 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

It has four wheels, and can haul you across the nation, of course it's cool.

edit: Especially when the engine doing the hauling is small enough to hug. It's quite mind boggling to consider, really.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

37 minutes ago, Statik said:

Ever heard of a permit? And I didn't say I drive a 800hp car 2 hours a day I drive at least 2 hours a day every single day but I have drove my dad's 800hp car on multiple occasions

The hell's he packing to make 800hp!?

And please, we don't care if you drive like an ass and kill yourself, but driving fast on public roads is a no-no because you're endangering others. Keep it on a proper track where it belongs.

And you've already invested money? Just invest more, you can never have too much in savings

That's an F in the profile pic

@Endrivia On a serious note though. I genuinely can not recommend a (basically) new Camaro SS to an inexperienced driver. Or any car with over 200~250 hp as a first car for that matter.

Only if you can respect the road and its laws for 2~3 years without getting a single ticket, that's where you can tell yourself that you've earned it. And if you do get such a powerful car, then I highly suggest that you take proper driving courses where you can learn what your can, and specifically what it can't do, in a safe manner.

Hell, even taking such a course in a normal car would be a lot of fun. I highly recommend it.

1 minute ago, Froody129 said:

The hell's he packing to make 800hp!?

And please, we don't care if you drive like an ass and kill yourself, but driving fast on public roads is a no-no because you're endangering others. Keep it on a proper track where it belongs.

And you've already invested money? Just invest more, you can never have too much in savings

When did I ever say I was on a public road? I'm no idiot and can't invest more because we invested so much at one time so we have to slow down

1 minute ago, GlassBomb said:

@Endrivia On a serious note though. I genuinely can not recommend a (basically) new Camaro SS to an inexperienced driver. Or any car with over 200~250 hp as a first car for that matter.

Only if you can respect the road and its laws for 2~3 years without getting a single ticket, that's where you can tell yourself that you've earned it. And if you do get such a powerful car, then I highly suggest that you take proper driving courses where you can learn what your can, and specifically what it can't do, in a safe manner.

Hell, even taking such a course in a normal car would be a lot of fun. I highly recommend it.

I have already done it

And what car would that be?

10 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

And what car would that be?

pontiac g8

8 minutes ago, Endrivia said:

-snip-

I asked where, because I don't know of anywhere that lets 15 year olds drive. Where are you from? And what do you do to drive 2 hours a day? That's a lot of driving for anyone nevermind a kid. And in what fucking world is a G8 800hp? I find that extremely unbelievable. What does he have in it? 

You clearly came here for everyones support for you to get a 500hp sports car. If you're gonna get one, then go for it. Not our problem. But when live kicks you in the ass one day and you realize how much its gonna cost to financially support a car like that, you're gonna be in for a treat.

You clearly weren't gonna get support as a kid getting a fucking Camaro.

Gaming Build:

Peripherals:

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro