Random Shutdowns, Then Several Power Cycles

I wasn't sure how to categorize this post, as I'm not sure what component is causing it, but I am fairly certain it is either the PSU or the Motherboard. Before I get on with the question, I will provide all of my system specs, as I believe that could be useful when responding:

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650 G2

Motherboard: MSI Z270 SLI Plus (LGA 1151)

CPU: Intel Core i7 7700K (Turbo clock @4.5ghz; cooled by Hyper 212X)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW

RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 3000 (2x8) 16 GBs

Storage: 1x Samsung 850 EVO SSD (500 GBs) and 1x Toshiba dt01aca200 (7200 RPM; 2 TB)

The problem I am having is as follows:

1. I will be playing a game as normal (usually No Man's Sky); everything functions

2. After about 5-10 minutes, the PC will randomly shut down and it will power cycle SEVERAL times

3. Eventually, after several power cycles, I will be met with a black screen stating that my BIOS has been restored to default (this is the same screen that appears when you clear your CMOS)

4. Everything returns to normal until I start playing an intensive game again (it functions perfectly when not playing intensive games. I can play light games and do any desktop functions, and in fact, I'm actually typing this on the very PC I am talking about).

I built this PC three days ago. For the last couple days, everything has been functioning perfectly; this just started happening. I would normally assume this to be caused by the power supply, as during the power cycling, I can hear the power supply producing several ticks per second, but I mostly trust my power supply, as I have been using it for over a year in my build before this with no issues. I have tried disabling settings in the BIOS that are known for causing instability, such as XMP. No luck. I have updated to the latest BIOS available for my motherboard in attempt to mend the issue, but the problem still persists. If anyone knows what component is causing this or what I could do to fix this, please share your knowledge with me. I am not sure where to go from here.

Also, I forgot to mention, my thermals are perfectly fine. Both my GPU and CPU typically stay in the 60's under full load, sometimes the 70's with the CPU when benchmarking (also, for some reason benchmarking doesn't cause shutdowns, only games).

Just now, RandoNandoz said:

probably not PSU, try AIDA64 or PRIME95, see if that crashes.

I'm running Prime95 right now, I'll let you know how that goes in about 15 minutes (since the reboots always occur within 10 minutes of intense activity).

10 minutes ago, RandoNandoz said:

probably not PSU, try AIDA64 or PRIME95, see if that crashes.

So P95 has been going for awhile, and everything is still perfectly stable. About 72 degrees on all cores (Kaby Lake sure is toasty) and everything seems fine. I'll leave it open in the background just to see if anything happens with more time, but my games would have killed it by now for sure if I were playing them. Would you happen to have any other suggestions? I doubt my GPU would have anything to do with it, as its temperatures are good and I also salvaged that from my old PC that has lasted me over a year without a single problem, just like the power supply. The motherboard is a primary concern of mine, as it is a brand new part and I have no reason to trust it.

Just now, Auyott said:

So P95 has been going for awhile, and everything is still perfectly stable. About 72 degrees on all cores (Kaby Lake sure is toasty) and everything seems fine. I'll leave it open in the background just to see if anything happens with more time, but my games would have killed it by now for sure if I were playing them. Would you happen to have any other suggestions? I doubt my GPU would have anything to do with it, as its temperatures are good and I also salvaged that from my old PC that has lasted me over a year without a single problem, just like the power supply. The motherboard is a primary concern of mine, as it is a brand new part and I have no reason to trust it.

hmm weird, no cpu issues or memory, maybe try furmark, you would need to pinpoint every issue, if P95 works then try furmark

hmm weird, no cpu issues or memory, maybe try furmark, you would need to pinpoint every issue, if P95 works then try furmark

Alright, here goes the fuzzy donut of death. This may be the last time my GPU breaths. I'll update when finished.

Just now, Auyott said:

Alright, here goes the fuzzy donut of death. This may be the last time my GPU breaths. I'll update when finished.

GOOD LUCK.

11 minutes ago, RandoNandoz said:

GOOD LUCK.

Furmark caused a shutdown and the longest case of power cycling I've ever seen (three minutes of it) in under two minutes.

Just now, Auyott said:

Furmark caused a shutdown and the longest case of power cycling I've ever seen (three minutes of it) in under two minutes.

gg gpu probably, or motherboard

gg gpu probably

Time to contact EVGA. This is just such a weird time for it to do that. I've been using this card since launch with no issues, and after putting it in this PC, it has worked flawlessly for another couple days before this started happening.

This might seem old school... But dead battery? or just a bad contact.

I have no way to explain the initial shutdown.

Power overhead shouldn't be an issue, and most people notice an overheat when the applications start hitching.

2 minutes ago, slightlyjaded said:

This might seem old school... But dead battery? or just a bad contact.

I have no way to explain the initial shutdown.

Power overhead shouldn't be an issue, and most people notice an overheat when the applications start hitching.

I appreciate the suggestion, but unfortunately, I have tried replacing the CMOS battery with one I knew worked. The same issue persists.

1 minute ago, Auyott said:

I appreciate the suggestion, but unfortunately, I have tried replacing the CMOS battery with one I knew worked. The same issue persists.

good luck on EVGA support, their support is extraordianary

6 minutes ago, RandoNandoz said:

good luck on EVGA support, their support is extraordianary

Great to hear! Unfortunately, there has been a new developement in the case. I cannot boot it now, it shuts down either on the bios restored screen or on the desktop, if I make it that far.

Just now, Auyott said:

Great to hear! Unfortunately, there has been a new developement in the case. I cannot boot it now, it shuts down either on the bios restored screen or on the desktop, if I make it that far.

just remove the gpu and run your iGPU.

just remove the gpu and run your iGPU.

Will do. Hopefully that works. No matter what, if it's the GPU or PSU causing the problem, they're both from EVGA, so at least I get that support you were talking about. Gotta look on the bright side. Thanks for all your help!

try changing the motherboard battery.

My Build:https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/795406-mini-itx-build/   PSU TIER LIST

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." - Issac Asimov

"Headward, free now to rise." - Principal Vagina

• 1 month later...

In the off chance that someone with a similar problem is reading this thread today, the probelm was the motherboard. MSI's support was horrible and the board was sent back to me with the same problem after an RMA, but I then got Newegg to force MSI to replace the board for me. Everything is working great, now.