Is Wireless FINALLY as fast as Wired??

yes. ever since AC for me

one problem: if i cant go wired then i cant go wireless anyways since its too far to get good pings and speeds. if i am close enough, i can have a wired connection.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

No point if it can't go through anything unless you have one in each room hardwired to a central network, which defeats the purpose because then you could just do wires, which are more reliable. And, it's not like you can realistically do transfers like this on your phone.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

60GHz is a joke.

They should be working on lower frequencies instead of higher, like 900MHz or 1.3G.

I would much rather have slower wifi connection though several buildings than some extra high MBps 10 feet away from an ethernet cable.

If I need speeds that high I will literally just plug in the cable.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

60GHz is a joke.

They should be working on lower frequencies instead of higher, like 900MHz or 1.3G.

I would much rather have slower wifi connection though several buildings than some extra high MBps 10 feet away from an ethernet cable.

If I need speeds that high I will literally just plug in the cable.

60GHz is meant for desktop pcs in a room to get linked together using wireless and not ethernet

they should improve on 5ghz :P I have pretty good range with my ISP PROVIDED ROUTER (top floor has router, basement and garage/front area still has decent coverage) 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

60GHz is meant for desktop pcs in a room to get linked together using wireless and not ethernet

they should improve on 5ghz :P I have pretty good range with my ISP PROVIDED ROUTER (top floor has router, basement and garage/front area still has decent coverage) 

If all the PCs are in the same room and are not moving anywhere it is far more reliable and easy to just use some ethernet cables....

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

If all the PCs are in the same room and are not moving anywhere it is far more reliable and easy to just use some ethernet cables....

wireless future i guess :P

100GHz to go from GPU to monitor 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

What laptop was used to test this

Is there anywhere that they put the code they used for the ping testing?  I'd love to see it myself.

1 hour ago, BlackDahlia1147 said:

Is there anywhere that they put the code they used for the ping testing?  I'd love to see it myself.

They probably just used:

ping -t 192.168.0.1

(Replace IP Address w/ the IP of your Gateway)

This just pings your router infinitely until you stop the command (Ctrl + C). This is run in CMD.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

The work done in terms of photography (lights and camera adjustments) and colour editing in this video is simply outstanding for a tech video.

Please keep up the good work, director of photography at Linus Media Group, whoever you are I give you congratulations!

Did anyone else think that Cooler Master case in the first ad was the most hideous thing ever?

it's so dated. 2001 called and they want their fake silver painted plastic back.

For both the TP-Link and Netgear, they use an array antenna near the front of the router or both routers, and due to even plastic being able to attenuate the signal, the best signal will be with clients facing the front of the router.

You basically have this type of antenna mounted to the front.

nY2KGIi.jpg

fvd2Irl.jpg

---------------------

Close to the type used on the R9000

8OolJOW.jpg

You guys got it wrong, because of its short but reliable service, u can get 'mini' routers in each room of your house and get great service and speed without interference (neighbor wont interfere you and vice versa). Although it will be pricey at first. 2.4 can be used for larger coverage. It might be costly at first but in the future itll be cheaper. /As for how the mini routers will connect to each other....

I like how both of these devices with "as fast as a wired connection" WiFi only have 1Gbps wired ports. Anyways, I think people are maybe being a bit too critical. This WiFi spec was never meant to be a solution to general consumer WiFi issues. I don't see why general consumers would care about it that much except to be conned by yet another higher number on the box. But for stuff like a roof mounted projector in a conference room? I think there's a market for it.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

I have a 9 dollar USB 2.0 TP-Link wifi adapter. Fight me.

Since I am to lazy to put something interesting here, I will put everything, but slightly abbreviated. Here is everything:

also, some questions to make you wonder about life:

What is I and who is me? Who is you? Which armrest in the movie theatre is yours?

also,

Welcome to the internet, I will be your guide. Or something.

My build:

CPU: Intel Core i5-7400 3.0GHz Quad-Core Processor,

Motherboard: ASRock B250M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, 

Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory,

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive, 

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card, 

Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case , 

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply, 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Full, 

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN725N USB 2.0 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter, Case Fan: Corsair Air Series White 2 pack 52.2 CFM  120mm Fan

ou do not ask why, you ask why not -me

Remeber kinds, the only differ between screwing around and scince is writing it down. -Adam Savage.

Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure of the former. - Albert Einstein.

wireless is no replacement for wire. At short range gigabit ethernet is still noticeably faster than AC wifi in the same room, even for 50Mb/s of internet.

3 hours ago, System Error Message said:

wireless is no replacement for wire. At short range gigabit ethernet is still noticeably faster than AC wifi in the same room, even for 50Mb/s of internet.

For 802.11ac, a single stream 433Mbps PHY connection, will give you about 300-320Mbps real world throughput under ideal conditions.

Typically a 3 stream AC1300 connection, will give you around 750-760Mbps under ideal conditions, and quad stream will give about 900-920Mbps. Additional streams do have diminishing returns. Sometimes a router maker can get a higher real world throughput by messing around with how high of an error and re-transmission rate they are willing to accept. Since the built in checks will prevent a corrupt frame from being accepted, some router makers will just accept a slightly higher error rate, that leads too an overall higher real world throughput.

It is why on some router reviews, you may see 3 different routers with the same exact WiFi radio, right down to the amplifiers filters, and all other front end components, and 2 of them will be giving about 500Mbps on a 2 stream connection, and one will be giving about 600Mbps. The higher speed is from them preferring a higher transfer rate over a lower error and re-transmission rate.

To see how your router behaves with error rates, do a LAN throughput benchmark, you will often see things like the speed starting really high, and then slow down and level off shortly after. During that initial burst, the data received by the benchmarking application is error free, If the device makers wanted, they could set it to just keep that high transfer rate, and just have the ECC work a little harder.

The question I have is what laptop out there right now has a card that supports AD speeds? In this video that seems to be a fact that one forgot. As far as we know you're testing AC speeds at 60 Hz.

I struggle to understand this chase after transfer speed for home usage. My router can do 40Mb/s, but I´ve even hamstrung it down to 20 so that I can use the second band to DYI a repeater-ish thing from another 8 year old router which is surprisingly enough for 10 room house and surrounding property. I get 20Mb/s transfers when connected to the main router and about 5Mb/s when it has to go though both and I don´t really care. I just say what I want copied and it eventually does it, so who cares if it takes a while, it´s not as if it was me doing it, and if I want to transfer a lot of stuff, even a darn image of a disk, I can queue it up and it will get done eventually, it´s not as if I will ever need to transfer a ton of stuff all day every day.

3 hours ago, startrekkie1701 said:

The question I have is what laptop out there right now has a card that supports AD speeds? In this video that seems to be a fact that one forgot. As far as we know you're testing AC speeds at 60 Hz.

http://www.networkworld.com/article/3117803/computers/acer-travelmate-802-11ad-notebook-an-industry-first-you-might-never-need-or-use.html

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: