Northern-bee-log.png.abe69258addd5ba926a3821ab6da2487.png

Watercooling, Overclocking and Benchmarking!

Planed Specs:

Computer:

CPU: --------------------------------- I7 4790K

GPU: ------------------------------- GTX 1080

RAM: ----------- 2x8GB 1886MHz HyperX

Case: ------------- Fractal Design Define C

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Annaversairy

PSU: ---------- EVGA SuperNova 650 G2

Storage: 1x UV400 240GB, 1x 1TB HDD

Soundcard: ---------------- SoundBlaster Z

Cooling:

Front: --------------------------- Xspc RX360

Top: -----------EKWB Coolstream SE 240

CPU Block: ---- EKWB Supremacy EVO

GPU Block:----Heatkiller IV w/ backplate

Pump: ------- Innovatek eheim pcps 1104
Reservoir: Alphacool Coolplex Pro 10 LT

Coolant: Mayhems Pastel Sunset Yellow

Fittings: ---------------- EKWB ACF (Black)

Angels: -- 4xAlphacool 90o 1x45o EKWB

The Plan:

The plan here is to watercool, upgrade and benchmark my system, i dont feel that my GTX 970 is hanging in there anymore now that i am playing at 1440p so i want a better GPU. The choice of GPU was simple enough, what the best GPU that isnt crazy overkill for 1440p 75Hz? a GTX 1080! i might end up getting a Vega card if they have any compelling options though but the plan is to get a 1080, watercool it and be happy with the insaine overkill machine i have just to play some esports titles, watch youtube and chat on discord! The color scheme will be Yellow/White/Black with yellow pastel coolant, clear tubeing, plexi blocks and some white accents in a Fractal Design C! also this will probably be the first time i do any proper cable management beyond stuffing it all behind the motherboard tray :P 

Where Im At Right NOW:

I have all the computer components exept for the GTX 1080, and just got the 240mm rad. The 360 rad, pump and reservoir have all been purchased too and should arive soon. the case will probably be bought in about a month. the build should begin around then so its going to be a bit of a wait. i dont know wether i will be buying new or used GPU and CPU blocks either but seeing the current situation its looking like new blocks. the money to fund all this should be in my pockets in two weeks and then if thats not enough the rest will be in in august :) the Toaster Project might get some priority but i doubt it, it will probably be relying on the august money instead because i want this done ASAP :D 

@TheRandomness @Mr.Meerkat @Revan654 thanks for pushing me over the edge to actiually do this :P

*edit*

also the indent feature is a bitch so deal with it

Thanks for reading this and i hope you will enjoy this build!

here is what a northern bumblebee looks like!

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Hopefully, it goes seamlessly for you, but please, for the love of God, get a different SSD... 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Hopefully, it goes seamlessly for you, but please, for the love of God, get a different SSD... 

the UV400 is pretty great from my experience though. boot times around 20 secs and generaly fast operation.

*edit* and it was $60 new and i dont know if il be able to afford a replacement either way untill august probably

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

the UV400 is pretty great from my experience though. boot times around 20 secs and generaly fast operation.

*edit* and it was $60 new and i dont know if il be able to afford a replacement either way untill august probably

Never mind, then. I thought you'd being buying it in a while.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

Just now, ARikozuM said:

Never mind, then. I thought you'd being buying it in a while.

nope, im pretty sure i said in the post that i only had the 1080 to buy from the components, im using the rest at the moment lol

Builds:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

nope, im pretty sure i said in the post that i only had the 1080 to buy from the components, im using the rest at the moment lol

Well, I'm dumb... 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Looking forward to see your build :) the Define C is quite a challenging case to water cool in so be prepared to be flexible! 

22 minutes ago, For Science! said:

Looking forward to see your build :) the Define C is quite a challenging case to water cool in so be prepared to be flexible! 

Flexible tubeing should help with that but thanks for the heads up. seeing as i have loved this case ever since it came out there was no other option though :P 

Builds:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Flexible tubeing should help with that but thanks for the heads up. seeing as i have loved this case ever since it came out there was no other option though :P 

when I was building mine all the components had to go in a certain order so it was really like one of those puzzles where you can move only 1 tile at a time. but anyway looking forward to pics and have lots of fun :).

1 minute ago, For Science! said:

when I was building mine all the components had to go in a certain order so it was really like one of those puzzles where you can move only 1 tile at a time. but anyway looking forward to pics and have lots of fun :).

pics should be here maybe monday for the first things, the only think i have right now from the new stuff is the 240mm rad and most of the fans. il be using fans i already have probably so they will be pretty mismatched but il try to keep the same ones on the same rad atleast and it shouldent look too bad. might get matching fans if i fiund someone that sells them cheap :P 

Builds:

Spoiler

Nice! Which 1080 are you going to get?

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

Hmmmm...plebs CPU :D 

8 core master race!

Anyway, don't forget fittings! Even the cheapest will push the overall costs up. 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Just now, Mr.Meerkat said:

8 core master race!

Tru, tru. I need to upgrade to the 7820X :P

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

9 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

8 core master race!

Anyway, don't forget fittings! Even the cheapest will push the overall costs up. 

found some compression fittings for less then $4 a pop :D 

24 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Nice! Which 1080 are you going to get?

whichever one comes up on the used market the first? :P if none come up decently soon though i have no clue, il have to go look at some VRMs and what cards i can get blocks for :) 

Builds:

Spoiler

19 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Tru, tru. I need to upgrade to the 7820X :P

20 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

8 core master race!

pfff not for games. also 5GHz masterrace

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

But you can't be PCMR without a 6core+ CPU tho...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

5GHz on 8 cores masterrace :P 

4 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

But you can't be PCMR without a 6core+ CPU tho...

but il still beat you in games if i get that chip to 5GHz :P 

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

5GHz on 8 cores masterrace :P 

... true

Builds:

Spoiler

You are aware your one Rad has a very high FPI count. Which will require fan rpm's of atlease 1300 to 1500. The other rad is designed for low rpm's of 800 to 1000 rpm.

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

9 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

You are aware your one Rad has a very high FPI count. Which will require fan rpm's of atlease 1300 to 1500. The other rad is designed for low rpm's of 800 to 1000 rpm.

yep. sound isnt much of an issue for me anyway, il probably max out fans if i need to :) i wont have the same fans on everything anyway seeing as i dont want to buy new fans anyway. got most of the fans i need, two im takeing from a case that are quite good and i have a few of the industrial NF-F12's around in a case too so they are going on the 360 rad :) 

Builds:

Spoiler

20 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

yep. sound isnt much of an issue for me anyway, il probably max out fans if i need to :) i wont have the same fans on everything anyway seeing as i dont want to buy new fans anyway. got most of the fans i need, two im takeing from a case that are quite good and i have a few of the industrial NF-F12's around in a case too so they are going on the 360 rad :) 

Industrial fans are loud even on lower settings. I had some awhile back & got rid of them due to the noise they produced.

1 hour ago, Revan654 said:

Industrial fans are loud even on lower settings. I had some awhile back & got rid of them due to the noise they produced.

i havent found them loud at all tbh. some of the quieter fans i own, not THE most quiet though, that would be the fractal fans on my H-D14

Builds:

Spoiler

Any reason why you went with a DDC pump? Was space an issue?

Radiators: XS-PC is a good rad, not the best(Hardware Labs SR-2 is best for low FPI & Hardware Labs GTR for High FPI). The EK SE line is pure garbage & one of the worst Slim radiators available. If you can I would return it & get Hardware Labs GTS or if you can't get Hardware Labs, AlphaCool ST30/XSPC EX 240 are two other better slim radiators.

Also go with WaterCool with your GPU & CPU blocks. After using WaterCool all the other blocks out there seem cheap.

11 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

Any reason why you went with a DDC pump? Was space an issue?

Radiators: XS-PC is a good rad, not the best(Hardware Labs SR-2 is best for low FPI & Hardware Labs GTR for High FPI). The EK SE line is pure garbage & one of the worst Slim radiators available. If you can I would return it & get Hardware Labs GTS or if you can't get Hardware Labs, AlphaCool ST30/XSPC EX 240 are two other better slim radiators.

Also go with WaterCool with your GPU & CPU blocks. After using WaterCool all the other blocks out there seem cheap.

its all just what was available to me on the used market for a fair price that wasent garbage basically. il look into the blocks though, was thinking EKWB plexi whatever for the CPU and GPU seeing as they seem to be the ones i can get easiest for a fair price

Builds:

Spoiler

On 6/26/2017 at 2:39 PM, Bananasplit_00 said:

its all just what was available to me on the used market for a fair price that wasent garbage basically. il look into the blocks though, was thinking EKWB plexi whatever for the CPU and GPU seeing as they seem to be the ones i can get easiest for a fair price

WaterCool is King of the Hill currently they out perform anything on the market currently. There blocks are made out of the highest material possible. It's why most of my items inside my PC are from WaterCool(Minus MonoBlock & M2 Waterblock).