UK Parliament Hit By Cyber Attack

The UK Parliament has been hit by a cyber-security attack.

MPs were reportedly informed about the hack on Friday night and later told of difficulties in accessing their emails away from the Westminster estate.

A parliamentary spokeswoman reported that the lack of emails was not due to the attack directly, but because of precautionary measures as a result. 

The damage, if any, has not been assessed yet.

This attack comes at an interesting time in British politics, after a snap general election and of course amid Brexit.

Only a few weeks ago, the global ransom ware attack affected systems across the NHS, the national health care organisation for the UK. 

The terror attack at Westminster in May prompted Amber Rudd, Home Secretary, to call for WhatsApp to remove its encryption services to aid counter terrorism. 

Hopefully, this digital attack will make MPs, who are arguably uneducated and out of touch with the technology they are making legislation on, recognise the importance of encryption and security when their own systems are threatened. 

However, the Conservative government has shown promise in regards to introducing legislation to improve the digital age; the Queen's speech, where the new government sets out it's legislation for its term, included a bill enabling citizens to instruct online services to remove their data and content when they turn 18.

In a document further detailing its plans, the government said its key priorities were:

• ensuring data protection rules were "suitable for the digital age"
  • "empowering individuals to have more control over their personal data"
  • giving people the "right to be forgotten" when they no longer wanted a company to process their data - providing there were no legitimate grounds for a company retaining the data
  • modernising data processing procedures for law enforcement agencies
  • allowing police and the authorities to "continue to exchange information quickly and easily with international partners" to fight terrorism and other serious crimes

I find the bill good in its intent, but I am skeptical of the government's ability to enforce it, should it become legislation. I feel unilateral agreement with have to be made internationally to truly achieve this. 

Attack: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40394074

Bill: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40353424

You should remove formatting from the quotes so that dark theme users can read the quotes. 

Also, I'd hate to think about it, but V For Vendetta looks more and more likely every passing day.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

in before blame russia

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Wouldn't surprise me if it was GCHQ, I mean this will give May yet another reason to attack internet freedom.

I swear she seems hellbent on getting a Chinese like government controlled firewall in place for the UK and when we leave the EU there's nobody to really stand in her way.

I really don't like where we are heading as a country right now.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

46 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Wouldn't surprise me if it was GCHQ, I mean this will give May yet another reason to attack internet freedom.

I swear she seems hellbent on getting a Chinese like government controlled firewall in place for the UK and when we leave the EU there's nobody to really stand in her way.

The thing is, David Cameron had a similar idea of banning encryption, but did a U turn when, I presume, someone sat him down and told him what encryption actually meant, which is understandable and somewhat commendable to Davey C.

May, however, is fucking hellbent on this shit. If she goes through with it, there'll be protests countrywide.

13 hours ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

can't wait for their retarded plans to backfire massively, this is a good start

inb4 more internet control law privacy infringement suggestions

1 hour ago, NeatSquidYT said:

The thing is, David Cameron had a similar idea of banning encryption, but did a U turn when, I presume, someone sat him down and told him what encryption actually meant, which is understandable and somewhat commendable to Davey C.

May, however, is fucking hellbent on this shit. If she goes through with it, there'll be protests countrywide.

Well David Davis was on the news this morning and he said that one of his top priorities for Brexit negotiations is to get the European Court of Justice out of British politics affairs and restore power to UK courts as quickly as possible.

I wonder why the Tories want devolved power over legal legislation handed back to us as quickly as possible? Might it be because they're scared May won't last very long and want to try and force new legislation through as quickly as possible.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Well David Davis was on the news this morning and he said that one of his top priorities for Brexit negotiations is to get the European Court of Justice out of British politics affairs and restore power to UK courts as quickly as possible.

I wonder why the Tories want devolved power over legal legislation handed back to us as quickly as possible? Might it be because they're scared May won't last very long and want to try and force new legislation through as quickly as possible.

Possibly.

14 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

It's like on those movies where the sailor is like "I can taste a storm brewing" I've tasted a war coming for a while.  There is a cycle of years before humans in power turn into hungry pigs and huddle together selfishly arguing politics until they implode and cause a world war. 

Perhaps this is not just the UKs governments plan to have a giant firewall but NATOs?  Because the GCHQ could spy on you guys freely, and would also have a lot of protection from outside threats.  It could be a test, perhaps the US government will make a China like firewall next?