liquid metal on gpu, what to put on caps?

MrJarhead

i killed a 1080 by using this and even though it sounds stupid, i may attempt it on my second 1080, however, this time i want to make sure i dont f*ck up, if i do attempt it, i will use something on the caps, what am i best off using ? electrical tape? i think i heard someone say even Vaseline will work.

10 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

i killed a 1080 by using this and even though it sounds stupid, i may attempt it on my second 1080, however, this time i want to make sure i dont f*ck up, if i do attempt it, i will use something on the caps, what am i best off using ? electrical tape? i think i heard someone say even Vaseline will work.

Using some permanent such as kapton tape or a clear nail polish is a good option to protect the capacitors and prevent it from shorting out. 

Just now, W-L said:

Using some permanent such as kapton tape or a clear nail polish is a good option to protect the capacitors and prevent it from shorting out. 

my original 1080 didnt short but, it would give me no signal, what could have happened to it?

am i right in saying the nail polish remover cannot contain acetone ?

Just now, mariushm said:

Kapton tape or something equivalent (low static, high temperature optionally adhesive tape)

Here's a suggestion: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/3m/5413-AMBER,-1-4-IN-X-36-Y/3M15375-ND/1819260

sweet, never heard of the stuff but ive seen that some electrical tape only has a max temp of 70 so this would be a better choice, hopefully this time i wont break it.

22 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

my original 1080 didnt short but, it would give me no signal, what could have happened to it?

am i right in saying the nail polish remover cannot contain acetone ?

Yes it can be removed with acetone without any problem and nail polish remover is mainly acetone.

Edited by W-L

6 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

sweet, never heard of the stuff but ive seen that some electrical tape only has a max temp of 70 so this would be a better choice, hopefully this time i wont break it.

Digikey.com (or Mouser.com or Newark.com in US, farnell.com , tme.eu in Europe) are distributors of electronic parts and components... they have loads of components for lots of purposes

On Digikey, you have a huge selection of tapes here : https://www.digikey.com/products/en/tapes-adhesives/tape/908

You can filter on the far right (last column called temeprature range) by selecting only tapes that can handle at least around 150 degrees Celsius for long periods of time and then you must also be careful so that the tapes don't have conductive adhesives  and maybe also tapes that have adhesives which are activated only with high temperatures (as in you have to heat the tape to 100 degrees Celsius or something like that for the glue to set, making tape hard to remove later)

Kapton is a special type of plastic film which is rated for around 250 degrees Celsius hence why it's often recommended... and it's also used in laptops and various things as protections against water spills or to reduce EMI noise from various devices (acts as a sort of shield)

// acetone is a solvent, stronger than isopropyl alcohol ... nail polish can be removed by various solvents but acetone is not recommended in electronics because it's strong enough to mess up printed text or take out color from plastic on components

Just now, mariushm said:

Digikey.com (or Mouser.com or Newark.com in US, farnell.com , tme.eu in Europe) are distributors of electronic parts and components... they have loads of components for lots of purposes

On Digikey, you have a huge selection of tapes here : https://www.digikey.com/products/en/tapes-adhesives/tape/908

You can filter on the far right (last column called temeprature range) by selecting only tapes that can handle at least around 150 degrees Celsius for long periods of time and then you must also be careful so that the tapes don't have conductive adhesives  and maybe also tapes that have adhesives which are activated only with high temperatures (as in you have to heat the tape to 100 degrees Celsius or something like that for the glue to set, making tape hard to remove later)

Kapton is a special type of plastic film which is rated for around 250 degrees Celsius hence why it's often recommended... and it's also used in laptops and various things as protections against water spills or to reduce EMI noise from various devices (acts as a sort of shield)

im from the uk :P but it doesnt look too expensive and will deffo be worth it, i cannot afford to break another 1080. i was actually thinking about just getting an evga hybrid cooler for my evga sc 1080, but theyre quite costly, i wouldnt mind paying £100 for one but £130 is a bit steep.

Just use electrical tape and then remove it before putting the heat sink back on. Liquid Metal doesn't squeeze out like normal paste.

Main Gaming PC - i9 10850k @ 5GHz - EVGA XC Ultra 2080ti with Heatkiller 4 - Asrock Z490 Taichi - Corsair H115i - 32GB GSkill Ripjaws V 3600 CL16 OC'd to 3733 - HX850i - Samsung NVME 256GB SSD - Samsung 3.2TB PCIe 8x Enterprise NVMe - Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM HD - Lian Li Air

Proxmox Server - i7 8700k @ 4.5Ghz - 32GB EVGA 3000 CL15 OC'd to 3200 - Asus Strix Z370-E Gaming - Oracle F80 800GB Enterprise SSD, LSI SAS running 3 4TB and 2 6TB (Both Raid Z0), Samsung 840Pro 120GB - Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Super Server - i9 7980Xe @ 4.5GHz - 64GB 3200MHz Cl16 - Asrock X299 Professional - Nvidia Telsa K20 -Sandisk 512GB Enterprise SATA SSD, 128GB Seagate SATA SSD, 1.5TB WD Green (Over 9 years of power on time) - Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2

Laptop - 2019 Macbook Pro 16" - i7 - 16GB - 512GB - 5500M 8GB - Thermal Pads and Graphite Tape modded

Smart Phones - iPhone X - 64GB, AT&T, iOS 13.3 iPhone 6 : 16gb, AT&T, iOS 12 iPhone 4 : 16gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 7.1.1 Jailbroken. iPhone 3G : 8gb, AT&T Go Phone, iOS 4.2.1 Jailbroken.

3 minutes ago, MrJarhead said:

im from the uk :P but it doesnt look too expensive and will deffo be worth it, i cannot afford to break another 1080. i was actually thinking about just getting an evga hybrid cooler for my evga sc 1080, but theyre quite costly, i wouldnt mind paying £100 for one but £130 is a bit steep.

Then try Farnell, here's some rough preselection, pay attention to temperature and adhesive like I said, didn't check those : http://uk.farnell.com/w/c/tools-production-supplies/tapes?tape-type=electrical-insulation|foil-shielding|insulating|protective-film&tape-backing-material=pi-polyimide-film|polyester-film|polyimide-film|polythene-film

Or TME.eu : http://www.tme.eu/gb/katalog/insulating-tapes_113374/

(use it less often so i'm not used with their filtering system, so you'll have to do the work)

50 minutes ago, Hunter259 said:

Just use electrical tape and then remove it before putting the heat sink back on. Liquid Metal doesn't squeeze out like normal paste.

i put too much on last time and it did squeeze over. the tape is best left on or its pointless putting it on.