4K Work and Gaming GPU

Hi.

I am planning for a build with Calyos NSG S0 case (coming August-September) and I am thinking to go with Ryzen. By working, I mean Visual Studio development and occasional home photo editing, no content creation and no streaming.  

I am looking at 4K monitor as an option, and Philips Brilliance BDM4037UW looks very appealing to me (reviewed by LTT here).

Most of the time I will be in the Desktop mode, developing with Visual Studio but I would like to use this build for games as well. 

1. What are my options here for a single graphics card?

2. Should I go down to 3440x1440 or even 2560x1440? Even though 4K monitor feels nice, I think I can go with 1440 widescreen instead of 4K for both work and gaming.  I would rather go down on monitor resolution than go SLI/Crossfire with 2 cards.

3. Should I wait for Vega and hope something special would happen on that side within the next 2 months or so?

thanks!

10 minutes ago, tridy said:

Hi.

I am planning for a build with Calyos NSG S0 case (coming August-September) and I am thinking to go with Ryzen. By working, I mean Visual Studio development and occasional home photo editing, no content creation and no streaming.  

I am looking at 4K monitor as an option, and Philips Brilliance BDM4037UW looks very appealing to me (reviewed by LTT here).

Most of the time I will be in the Desktop mode, developing with Visual Studio but I would like to use this build for games as well. 

1. What are my options here for a single graphics card?

2. Should I go down to 3440x1440 or even 2560x1440? Even though 4K monitor feels nice, I think I can go with 1440 widescreen instead of 4K for both work and gaming.  I would rather go down on monitor resolution than go SLI/Crossfire with 2 cards.

3. Should I wait for Vega and hope something special would happen on that side within the next 2 months or so?

thanks!

Only 1080Ti/Titan XP can handle 4K at 60+FPS without many problems. It depends if you're really into playing at "max settings no compromise" or if you just wanna enjoy playing a game at 4K. If it's the second case, consider a 1080 as well. 

I think you should wait for Vega. It might disappoint, true, but it's just a couple of months away now so if you can wait I'd suggest you to, prices might even go down a bit by that time. 

For working, a widescreen is much better in my opinion and experience, or dual monitors setup. For gaming I think a single 4K display will give you the best result, but that's a personal preference.

If you plan to game I would recommend looking at something like a GTX 1080. You don't really need the TI unless you are hoping to max out the graphics settings and get a stable 60FPS at 4K. the 1080 should be able to handle high settings at 60fps 4K

Intel 7600K Over Clocked to 4.8 jibahurtz, GTX 1080 Founders Edition space heater, Cooler Master 212 Evo jet engine, 8GB DDR4 Ballistic Ram, 250GB hyperX ssd, Fractel Design Define S, Blue snowball on an arm mount, mismatched god monitors, dual keyboards, LG mouse (no vital signs, Think it died.)

I do not demand the max graphics. I used to play XBOX 360 games and that is the level where I am coming from. 

Lets take 4K case. It is that this Philips 4K monitor that I really like getting for work. However It does not have FreeSync or G-Sync and is 60Hz Max. How big is it of a deal? I have never personally had a chance to test myself if I can tell a difference between 50 FPS and 100+ FPS. Both 1080 and 1080 Ti are pretty expensive and the price difference between the two is significant as well. I do not think I need Ryzen 1800x, I will go for 1700. With that in mind, how much would I benefit from 1080 Ti compared to 1080 on a 4K, 60Hz, non-G-Sync monitor? I will wait for Vega before making a decision.

thanks!   

1. GTX 1080 Ti, or Titan XP. Don't get the Titan though, because the 1080 Ti performs about the same.

2. The 1080 Ti, wont run all games at constant 60 fps maxed out at 4K. 3440x1440 isn't as hard to run, and ultrawide monitors are really nice for gaming and productivity.

3. Buy whenever you want to buy, no point in waiting (usually), because there will always be new tech right around the corner.