UPS

Sebastian1914

Hy everyone, I recently receved a new UPS from a friend and I wanted to know if it accepteble with my rig

My specs are:

I7 6700k 4.0ghz

Cooler master hyper 103

Gigabyte ga z170 hd3p

Hyper x fury 16gb ddr4 2400

WD wd10ezex 1tb

Gtx 1070

Corsair cx750m 80+ bronze

Corsair spec 01

Benq 24 xl2411z

36 minutes ago, Sebastian1914 said:

Hy everyone, I recently receved a new UPS from a friend and I wanted to know if it accepteble with my rig

My specs are:

I7 6700k 4.0ghz

Cooler master hyper 103

Gigabyte ga z170 hd3p

Hyper x fury 16gb ddr4 2400

WD wd10ezex 1tb

Gtx 1070

Corsair cx750m 80+ bronze

Corsair spec 01

Benq 24 xl2411z

You haven't mentioned what UPS you have.

11 minutes ago, Sebastian1914 said:

Oops, 

I have eaton 5e 850va usb

Specs say it can deliver 480W max, that should be enough for your system. 

But it will only give you enough juice to shut down your computer, don't expect to be able to use it under load for more than a minute.

So pray Microsoft doesn't decide to install updates when the power goes out and you hit 'Shut down' when running on battery.

Does you mum know you're here?

Ok, but the level of protection this CPU delivers for my rig is accepteble, I meen can my rig suffer from a sudden power shut down or anything like this with this CPU?

16 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

Specs say it can deliver 480W max, that should be enough for your system. 

But it will only give you enough juice to shut down your computer, don't expect to be able to use it under load for more than a minute.

So pray Microsoft doesn't decide to install updates when the power goes out and you hit 'Shut down' when running on battery.

I dont know if it matters but my gtx 1070 is gigabyte gv n1070g1 gaming

13 minutes ago, Sebastian1914 said:

Ok, but the level of protection this CPU delivers for my rig is accepteble, I meen can my rig suffer from a sudden power shut down or anything like this with this CPU?

I really don't understand what you're saying? I feel I answered the question already?

If it's in good condition, then yes, it will supply enough power for your rig, but for a very short amount of time.

I really don't see the point of using this thing. Why do you want this? Your computer won't die when the power goes down! And I don't know where you live but here that hardly ever happens anyways.

And as I said, this can only supply power to your computer for a minute, so if you try to turn off your PC and a Windows Update starts, the battery will run out half way through. Then you could be left with a corrupted system and you'll have to install Windows again.

8 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

I really don't understand what you're saying? I feel I answered the question already?

If it's in good condition, then yes, it will supply enough power for your rig, but for a very short amount of time.

I really don't see the point of using this thing. Why do you want this? Your computer won't die when the power goes down! And I don't know where you live but here that hardly ever happens anyways.

And as I said, this can only supply power to your computer for a minute, so if you try to turn off your PC and a Windows Update starts, the battery will run out half way through. Then you could be left with a corrupted system and you'll have to install Windows again.

I understand, can you suggest than a UPS that is suitble for my rig for accepteble price?

1 minute ago, Sebastian1914 said:

I understand, can you suggest than a UPS that is suitble for my rig for accepteble price?

And explain what I need to look for about spec features etc

25 minutes ago, Sebastian1914 said:

I don't know what an 'acceptable price' is for you. Or what you need it for.

You should buy a UPS that can deliver enough power for the amount of time you need it for.

There are several good brands, with APC pretty much being the golden standard. 

But my advice would be to read the Wikipedia page on Uninterruptible Power Supplies to have a better understanding of these things.

Especially: "A UPS is typically used to protect hardware [...] where an unexpected power disruption could cause injuries, fatalities, serious business disruption or data loss."

Because I'm not convinced a gaming PC applies here.

TLDR: I don't think you need one, for home usage it's a waste of money.

I realy appreciate your support, the rea

7 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

I don't know what an 'acceptable price' is for you. Or what you need it for.

You should buy a UPS that can deliver enough power for the amount of time you need it for.

There are several good brands, with APC pretty much being the golden standard. 

But my advice would be to read the Wikipedia page on Uninterruptible Power Supplies to have a better understanding of these things.

Especially: "A UPS is typically used to protect hardware [...] where an unexpected power disruption could cause injuries, fatalities, serious business disruption or data loss."

Because I'm not convinced a gaming PC applies here.

TLDR: I don't think you need one, for home usage it's a waste of money.

Thank you ! I really appreciate your support. The reason that Im so concern about this matter is because 7 or so years ago I had a power disruption and it damaged my pc very badly and we always suffer from power issue in the winters here in Israel

5 minutes ago, Sebastian1914 said:

I realy appreciate your support, the rea

Thank you ! I really appreciate your support. The reason that Im so concern about this matter is because 7 or so years ago I had a power disruption and it damaged my pc very badly and we always suffer from power issue in the winters here in Israel

You probably won't need it. But if you're scared something might happen to your PC, use the UPS your friend gave you, as long as it's in good condition. I really wouldn't waste any money on a more heavy duty solution.

If the power goes out, use this to turn off your PC immediately to avoid system file corruption: 

https://www.howtogeek.com/268982/how-to-shut-down-a-windows-pc-without-installing-updates/

Good luck

2 minutes ago, VVoltor said:

You probably won't need it. But if you're scared something might happen to your PC, use the UPS your friend gave you, as long as it's in good condition. I really wouldn't waste any money on a more heavy duty solution.

If the power goes out, use this to turn off your PC immediately to avoid system file corruption: 

https://www.howtogeek.com/268982/how-to-shut-down-a-windows-pc-without-installing-updates/

Good luck

Thank you, you helped me a lot!