Help with davinci resolve

Ok so here's my problem. Adobe is raising the price of student subs to cc 2017 by 10 dollars in about 7 days. 

So I went looking at a ult toadobe and found davinci resolve and been attempting to use it for the last month across 2 os installs.  While trying to skim over my time line to find areas I wish to cut or transition I have to wait up to 40sdconds for the software to acknowledge that I selected this area of the timeline and started to preview it. I get 40second delays or ultra slow stuttering even if I let the footage load in for up to 3 mins off my m.2 ssd. 

I read that the software is more gpu dependant so I upgraded from my just RMA gtx 1080 founders to a 1080 to poseidon. I'm yet to see if it makes a difference as I can't install my gpu till Monday when it arrives.

Any idea what's the issue??

Faith: WIP

Cpu: intel 6700k

RAM: g.skill ripjaw v 3200mhz 16 18 18 38 2n 32gb 4x8gb

MB: Asrock extreme 7+

GPU: GTX 1080 TI Poseidon Platinum Asus ROG
PSU: Cougar 1050W 80+ gold

Case: IN WIN 509 ROG [ black red ]

Cooling: Barrow Fittings, Block, 360mm x 60mm rad, 18w d5 pump, 210 res, EK blood red premix. Poseidon GPU block

SETUP: BenQ 27" 144hz|BenQ 28" 1080p VA 60HZ|Corsair Strafe RGB|Razer DeathAdDer Chroma|ATH IM70|E10k Olympus 2 amp|DX Racer King

Can't recall off the top of my head where exactly it was in the options, but have you checked whether CUDA support is actually enabled? Resolve does take advantage of Cuda quite well, so I really don't see how any 1080 would have been an issue. On my setup it's totally fine, and It's only using the one 980. A friend of mine uses a 1070, same thing. Just double-check your options. You had more than enough brute force to run Resolve with already.

OS: W10 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth P67 | CPU: i7 2600k @ 4.6 | RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz | GPU: x2 MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G | Storage: x2 WD CB 1TB, x1 WD CB 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | Spare a moment for Night Theme Users:

Spoiler

I'm an erudite cave-dwelling Troglodyte
I frequent LinusTechTips past midnight
Dark backgrounds I crave 
For my sun-seared red gaze
I'll molest you if you don't form your text right

48 minutes ago, vESP said:

Any idea what's the issue??

What resolution and bit rate are you editing at?

Are you using the recent beta release (14) or the GA one (12.5) ?

Preferences: System - what is pre-allocated memory size?

Preferences: Video I/O and GPU - what is GPU processing mode set to ?

and of course ... Are you using Optimised Media?

58 minutes ago, wrathoftheturkey said:

Bruh.... it's video editing. A 1050ti is already more than enough, and you upgraded from a fricking 1080? Video editing is almost entirely CPU-dependent anyways, CUDA acceleration isn't that well-utilized.

What kiind of footage are you editing?

1080p 60 fps footage from my Nikon. And 1440 to 4k game footage for my other channel.

I upgraded due to my 1080 founders outright black screening mid game in pubg. Got the RMA return and sold it thought why not sell it get some more $ for a sealed founders card. 

15 minutes ago, Rohime said:

What resolution and bit rate are you editing at?

Are you using the recent beta release (14) or the GA one (12.5) ?

Preferences: System - what is pre-allocated memory size?

Preferences: Video I/O and GPU - what is GPU processing mode set to ?

and of course ... Are you using Optimised Media?

Not at the computer on break for the weekend.  To my knowledge I don't think I had optimized media on. Bit rate I'm not sure as it's what ever settings I set up in obs would be the settings I edit the video in. So off the top of my head I don't really remember those details.

Cooling: Barrow Fittings, Block, 360mm x 60mm rad, 18w d5 pump, 210 res, EK blood red premix. Poseidon GPU block

SETUP: BenQ 27" 144hz|BenQ 28" 1080p VA 60HZ|Corsair Strafe RGB|Razer DeathAdDer Chroma|ATH IM70|E10k Olympus 2 amp|DX Racer King

34 minutes ago, vESP said:

1080p 60 fps footage from my Nikon. And 1440 to 4k game footage for my other channel.

1440p and especially 4k footage is your problem.   An upgraded GPU will make 0% difference.

Scrubbing QHD(1440p) and UHD(4k)  footage is really hard on the CPU.

If you really want to do that alot you will likely want a High End Desktop sometime soon (X299/X399 and a lot more than the 4 core system you have now).

Turn on Optimized media.  You'll be amazed.   

55 minutes ago, Rohime said:

1440p and especially 4k footage is your problem.   An upgraded GPU will make 0% difference.

Scrubbing QHD(1440p) and UHD(4k)  footage is really hard on the CPU.

If you really want to do that alot you will likely want a High End Desktop sometime soon (X299/X399 and a lot more than the 4 core system you have now).

Turn on Optimized media.  You'll be amazed.   

Yeah I knew the gpu was not going o suddenly make a difference just took the option to get a better card tbh.

I'm looking to upgrade to ryzen shortly. 

I thought a over clocked 6700k and my ram was a high end system. Just interesting on what u suggest as a idea on future upgrades. 

Also find it weird I can scrub the same footage without a issue on premier by adobe.