High Quality display port cables?

theminnesotanman
Go to solution Solved by NoRomanBatmansAllowed,
Just now, theminnesotanman said:

so basically it doesnt matter the cable?

Basically, as long as it's up to the current revision (e.g. DP 1.4), and the build quality is decent enough that it doesn't break the moment you touch it, it'll work pretty much flawlessly.

I was wondering if all display port cables are made equally or if there are better/ worse cables than say the Insignia one sold at bestbuy. I want a high quality cable for my acer predator xb271 ips monitor. this is the one from bestbuy, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-6-4k-ultra-hd-displayport-cable-black/5580672.p?skuId=5580672  

Thanks for any help you can offer <3

Why do you need "high quality cables", when all you need is something that doesn't bottleneck your display?

If it works and the signal gets to the screen, it should work perfectly fine. After all, DP is digital and so no signal degradation happens. 

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

1 minute ago, bob51zhang said:

Why do you need "high quality cables", when all you need is something that doesn't bottleneck your display?

If it works and the signal gets to the screen, it should work perfectly fine. After all, DP is digital and so no signal degradation happens. 

Just now, theminnesotanman said:

Basically, as long as it's up to the current revision (e.g. DP 1.4), and the build quality is decent enough that it doesn't break the moment you touch it, it'll work pretty much flawlessly.

Want to know which mobo to get?

Spoiler

Choose whatever you need. Any more, you're wasting your money. Any less, and you don't get the features you need.

Only you know what you need to do with your computer, so nobody's really qualified to answer this question except for you.

chEcK iNsidE sPoilEr fOr a tREat!

1 minute ago, typographie said:

Prices on cables at Best Buy are absolutely offensive. You'd be way better off ordering something from Newegg, Amazon, or Monoprice.

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=13361&gclid=CjwKEAjw-LLKBRCdhqmwtYmX93kSJAAORDM61iCw0AIQpS3ND3XJ78IraVyxSqQpmMDKxvriM-i1DBoCi7Pw_wcB

Im an Employee, i get it for like 2 bucks lol

6 minutes ago, theminnesotanman said:

I was wondering if all display port cables are made equally or if there are better/ worse cables than say the Insignia one sold at bestbuy. I want a high quality cable for my acer predator xb271 ips monitor. this is the one from bestbuy, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-6-4k-ultra-hd-displayport-cable-black/5580672.p?skuId=5580672  

The insignia cables will be fine. You can also look at Amazon for pricing. Anything not Insignia can be price matched from Newegg, Amazon, Walmart, etc...

Ive purchased the Amazon brand cables. Only had one die, not sure why. It just stopped working. Stay away from anything and everything from Monster and RocketFish, with their antimantium tips and higher transfer rates.

2 minutes ago, theminnesotanman said:

Oh, I see. Have at it, then! :)

I'm sure the Insignia cable is no less effective. It's the $20 for 6' part that I find objectionable.

1 minute ago, theminnesotanman said:

Insignia would be fine. Also, many of us make it a habit not to mention where we work. If you give someone tech advice, they might think you are ouahing products from your employer or if you give advice someone disagrees with, it might look negative against your employer. Long story short, people may draw conclusions about who you work for, not you the individual.

Just now, Ryujin2003 said:

Insignia would be fine. Also, many of us make it a habit not to mention where we work. If you give someone tech advice, they might think you are ouahing products from your employer or if you give advice someone disagrees with, it might look negative against your employer. Long story short, people may draw conclusions about who you work for, not you the individual.

i see, thank you very much for the info. TBH im just there for a paycheck to continue building pc's hah

2 minutes ago, theminnesotanman said:

i see, thank you very much for the info. TBH im just there for a paycheck to continue building pc's hah

Haha. It happens.

24 minutes ago, theminnesotanman said:

The monitor should come with a DisplayPort cable already, just use that one.

And no, DisplayPort cables do not have versions.

http://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/