Verizon internet

firestronk

Anyone else with Verizon being charged extremely high prices? I have internet + phone with them and am getting charged like the same cost of car insurance($200+). Internet speeds are only 3.3 down and upload speed of 0.9. Is this normal for anyone else who has verizon internet? Pretty shitty having to pay so much money for such low tier internet. (In a rural area btw)

31 minutes ago, PhoenixArising said:

Anyone else with Verizon being charged extremely high prices? I have internet + phone with them and am getting charged like the same cost of car insurance($200+). Internet speeds are only 3.3 down and upload speed of 0.9. Is this normal for anyone else who has verizon internet? Pretty shitty having to pay so much money for such low tier internet. (In a rural area btw)

You're getting robbed. Do you live in a rural area or a city?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

$45/month for a 50 megabit symmetrical line.  No TV service though.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

13 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

You're getting robbed. Do you live in a rural area or a city?

I do live in a rural area yes.

9 minutes ago, PhoenixArising said:

I do live in a rural area yes.

Hmm.  I live in a rural area as well but I use a local internet provider.  Any chance you could switch to a smaller ISP?  They usually give you a fairer price.

1 minute ago, lilbman said:

Hmm.  I live in a rural area as well but I use a local internet provider.  Any chance you could switch to a smaller ISP?  They usually give you a fairer price.

Only other ISP here is RCN and if I switch to them, I will have to go with dial-up

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

I'm with you there.  Comcast, Verizon, Time Warner, and all the other big ones are guilty of this sorta thing.  What they like to do is buy out your county that way only they can have speeds over 10 down in your area.  Then they try to trick you into "package deals" in hopes that you don't read them, but they secretly plan to charge you out the ass. Even if you have a "cheaper plan" or whatever they still have the option to rob you because the county sides with them.  It's an illegal practice, but they all do it then will make up some bs that the county backs to screw you. It's not too too bad where I am as comcast/xfinity did up our speeds, but they try to screw us with package stuff on the cable side.

I know others around my area who pay nowhere near as much as I do which doesn't make much sense

Just now, PhoenixArising said:

Only other ISP here is RCN and if I switch to them, I will have to go with dial-up

Thats unfortunate.  Are there any other ISPs available in your area? Any at all?

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Then there are 2 possible situations.  1) They're doing it to you in hopes you don't notice, or 2) Their billing system is glitched/something went wrong.  Most likely it's 1 and they'll blame 2 since you noticed.  Maybe ask them?

Las time, I got stuck with a rep called ahmed who was unable to speak english. Gave up after about 30 minutes. Never bothered to try again though

3 minutes ago, lilbman said:

Thats unfortunate.  Are there any other ISPs available in your area? Any at all?

Fiber lines run in every direction around my area and unfortunately, verizon runs the lines in my area and have not upgraded them at all meanwhile other companies have been upgrading their lines around us for awhile now. Verizon is the only isp close to us sadly

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

He isn't a rep, they probably sent you to a call center in India. xD But, maybe go to Verizon if they're in your county?

East coast U.S. The only good experience I had was their social media support but they can only do so much

11 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

You should look for your closest Verizon place.  We have one[comcast] in the middle of our county here, I'm on the East Coast too.  They have to have an office in driving distance.

Yeah they do, traffic sucks getting to it and its on an awkward position on the road so I try to avoid it lol

2 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

You might want to not avoid it over this.

yeah, might give online support another shot and hopefully get somewhere this time

Surprised Verizon would service an area that's rural simce they are picky with where they service. I'm in the 2nd biggest city of Arizona and no sign of FIOS. 

Are you hotspotting  from Verizon Wireless?

Edit: read a little more on lines, so not VZW.

19 hours ago, PhoenixArising said:

Fiber lines run in every direction around my area and unfortunately, verizon runs the lines in my area and have not upgraded them at all meanwhile other companies have been upgrading their lines around us for awhile now. Verizon is the only isp close to us sadly

I myself have a fiber line but its not from a big ISP, its from a local one.  As someone else mentioned, the billing might have gotten messed up.  Try and drive to a brick-and-mortar Verizon location and get service there.