Whats linux like?

Just now, mate_mate91 said:

Go and for starters actually USE linux and then talk about it!

Why? Ill spend most of my time finding ALTERNATIVES to the programs I want to use xD

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

15 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Why? Ill spend most of my time finding ALTERNATIVES to the programs I want to use xD

Then don't talk about an OS you never used or plan on using on a thread where someone is asking what it's like to use it. :\

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Then don't talk about an OS you never used or plan on using on a thread where someone is asking what it's like to use it. :\

These are valid problems that Linux has, so you can comment on it without having used it. 

Its a fact that Linux lacks mainstream app support. Thats part of what it is like to use Linux. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

Just now, DrMacintosh said:

These are valid problems that Linux has, so you can comment on it without having used it. 

Its a fact that Linux lacks mainstream app support. Thats part of what it is like to use Linux. 

And I and another person posted way more examples than needed to disprove your "fact"

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

And I and another person posted way more examples than needed to disprove your "fact"

Those are alternatives, which is what Linux seems to centered on, not mainstream applications. Very little from major players is supported on Linux. 

Thats not an insignificant issue for a lot of people. 

2 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Those are alternatives, which is what Linux seems to centered on, not mainstream applications. Very little from major players is supported on Linux. 

Thats not an insignificant issue for a lot of people. 

I'm sorry you're unwilling to adapt to using another program that provides the same functionality.

On 6/24/2017 at 1:33 AM, TheCatShuriken said:

Money, really. I cant fork over too much for the OS when I'm already really pushing a 730 USD build. Of course piracy is an option, but a lot of windows 10 is connected to the web, and frequent updates, security features, and other things might not work (just a guess).

Windows 10 is free though.

Or if you want to activate it there are sites like Kinguin where you can buy a key for 30 usd.

I am using one of these keys as well and it works perfectly fine.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

4 hours ago, mate_mate91 said:

I have installed Lubuntu 17.04 and it uses linux kernel 4.10.

Software is not an issue. Almost all programs have alternatives on linux. Some of them are even better!!! The problem is there are no games like on windows. Although some modern games like Bioshock infinite, Shadow mordor, Hitman, Dying light, Metro and some big games are available on linux too.

why are you telling me this? this thread is two weeks old. dont necrobump.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

33 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

why are you telling me this? this thread is two weeks old. dont necrobump.

you said this!

"What is available now is kernel version 4.8 to 4.9.

Ubuntu 17.10, which will be released soon, should be over kernel 4.10"

That's why i quoted you. 17.04 was already released months ago at that moment when you posted and it has 4.10 kernel.

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

13 minutes ago, mate_mate91 said:

you said this!

"What is available now is kernel version 4.8 to 4.9.

Ubuntu 17.10, which will be released soon, should be over kernel 4.10"

That's why i quoted you. 17.04 was already released months ago at that moment when you posted and it has 4.10 kernel.

Ubuntu LTS and debian have kernels 4.8 to 4.9.

I never mentioned 17.04 because they are changing the desktop and I dont want to explain that.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I love linux sure it has quirks but its usually really fast and good

yeahyuz

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 2:22 AM, noahdvs said:

Oh I thought the iMac Pro was the new iMac.

It's a terminal, it just looks fancy: Screenshot_2017-06-23T21-21-37Z.thumb.png.dc97f79d82b52471d522f48e2c36083f.png

what is that? I really need this in my life. 

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

2 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

what is that? I really need this in my life. 

The Dolphin file manager from KDE with Zsh in the terminal and the eriner theme which is a fork of the agnoster theme. Zsh can complete and auto suggest commands as you're typing them with syntax highlighting.

On 2017-06-24 at 9:19 AM, DrMacintosh said:

There are just different ways of doing things.

Precisely and that's exactly what Linux offers, a different way of doing things. I use windows or linux depending on what I'm doing; for programming, compiling source code and just over all network security, nothing beats linux for my use case scenario.

Coming from windows or Mac, the programs on Linux might seem like an alternative but for anyone coming from Linux, the programs on windows and Mac are the alternatives.  You keep repeating alternatives as if it's a negative but an alternative program can be just as good or better. Linux isn't the best at gaming natively but with PlayOnLinux and Wine, I would argue it offers a better selection than even mac for games. 

Finally, whether an OS suits you or not is something you won't know unless you try that OS as a daily driver, Not every OS is for everyone; you may end up really liking an OS after trying it and whatever you liked before might seem handicapped afterwards(which is how I felt when I tried Linux). But in your case, you never tried Linux so I'm not really sure why you keep bashing it as a negative; it's one thing if you tried it and all you had was a negative experience but that's not the case. Commenting about the user experience of an OS you have no experience with just seems like trolling to me.

11 hours ago, noahdvs said:

The Dolphin file manager from KDE with Zsh in the terminal and the eriner theme which is a fork of the agnoster theme. Zsh can complete and auto suggest commands as you're typing them with syntax highlighting.

time to get this on mint lol

2 hours ago, Shura said:

Finally, whether an OS suits you or not is something you won't know unless you try that OS as a daily driver,

this is exactly why i always suggest if you're going to "try" Linux you have to really try it. You have to use it as a daily driver for a good chunk of your work flow before you can say if it fits or not. 

the only part that doesn't fit for my is c# visual studio is just what i like using so i have a vm for that. 

As someone who uses Linux full-time for just about two years, I'm going to call out some of the fanboy bullshit the first reply spouted.

On 6/23/2017 at 4:29 PM, DrMacintosh said:

I have never used it personally but I am able to comment on the downsides.

Might want to do that before you spout some of the nonsense.

Linux's biggest flaw is that it has very limited program/application support. Gaming is basically a no go

This is all dependent on the user and what software they use.

In addition there are a lot of different versions that you have to choose from that fit your use.

This is not a downside in the slightest if you understand how competition drives things forward. Each also has its target market and use case. Mint is typically a common gateway into Linux, and often popular among newer users.

And just a quick callout here...

On 6/23/2017 at 4:30 PM, kaiju_wars said:

you have to use Terminal, alot.  

It's gotten a lot better, especially with popular distros such as Ubuntu, but there's still a lot of digging for drivers and going to terminal to get certain things installed and/or done.

This is not quite true. Driver management nowadays is easily accessible via GUI in Ubuntu, Mint, Solus... There's not too much you actually need to do in the terminal for the most part. For many basic users, it's edge case, not the other way around.

Well, whatever works.

On 6/23/2017 at 4:34 PM, DrMacintosh said:

Piracy, but okay.

The accuracy is spot on.

On 6/23/2017 at 4:44 PM, SCHISCHKA said:

Most of my steam games are on linux. Its actually pretty easy to demonstrate linux gaming or productivity. You said you never used it so everything you are saying you are making up or regurgitating from somewhere.

Don't think someone who's never used it should be the one spewing the trash.

Heh.

On 6/23/2017 at 4:48 PM, DrMacintosh said:

btw its MacOS now.

latest?cb=20151005190913

So many sources!

On 6/23/2017 at 4:52 PM, SCHISCHKA said:

Journalists can prove that you can use linux without the command line.

Agreed. Also, sites like OMG! Ubuntu constantly post great GUI applications and tools that do things you didn't even realize you wanted them to do.

It's like food for the soul, but it's a drink for the body.

19 minutes ago, Schyken said:

This is not a downside in the slightest if you understand how competition drives things forward. Each also has its target market and use case. Mint is typically a common gateway into Linux, and often popular among newer users.

I'd argue that there isn't necessarily competition going on between distros, at least in the "capitalism" sense. It's probably true for enterprise Linux distros. With community run distros, it's usually just a group of people that want or need to do something differently, so they do it and share it. The variety is certainly nice though. Beginners are usually told to use Ubuntu or something based on it, such as Linux Mint or an official Ubuntu flavor, so that takes away most of the complexity of choosing a distro.

3 hours ago, Schyken said:

This is not quite true. Driver management nowadays is easily accessible via GUI in Ubuntu, Mint, Solus... There's not too much you actually need to do in the terminal for the most part. For many basic users, it's edge case, not the other way around.

Well, whatever works.

I still consider it an issue if to get arguably one of the most popular games (Minecraft) running, I have to go through terminal.

And yes, I've had to go through Terminal in Ubuntu to get the game installed and running.

I've had this issue with a few other programs. 
Like I have mentioned and you repeated, it's gotten a lot better.  But you do still need to be comfortable with terminal for a few things.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

I still consider it an issue if to get arguably one of the most popular games (Minecraft) running, I have to go through terminal.

And yes, I've had to go through Terminal in Ubuntu to get the game installed and running.

I've had this issue with a few other programs. 
Like I have mentioned and you repeated, it's gotten a lot better.  But you do still need to be comfortable with terminal for a few things.

i have a 7770 and a 8350 and i had to edit grub to get USB 2.0 ports working. Minecraft shouldn't require any terminal at all.

you just download the jar and open it. If it opens as an archive right click and change the default to java. 

14 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

i have a 7770 and a 8350 and i had to edit grub to get USB 2.0 ports working. Minecraft shouldn't require any terminal at all.

you just download the jar and open it. If it opens as an archive right click and change the default to java. 

Yeah, it wasn't having it.  I had to get into Terminal for it.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

I love Ubuntu (GNOME). I hate that I temporarily went back to Windows, but as soon as my Ryzen build is finished and as much of the kinks concerning virtualization and hardware passthrough as possible are fixed I'll fully commit to switching back and just running Windows with my games in a VM. I'm so sick of Windows doing sh*t in the background or just reinstalling some stupid apps with every update. Most of my games on Steam are Linux compatible anyways so there's that too. I miss being able to press and have a terminal drop down from the top of my screen. I miss the clean combination of Icon/Font/Theme that I had installed it was just so. damn. perfect. -__- I miss feeling like I have control about what my computer is doing at any given moment, which no, I don't have in Windows. That's all I have. 

Linux masterrace and in Wendell we trust. 

Ryzen is pretty cool I guess

26 minutes ago, lFaust said:

I love Ubuntu (GNOME). I hate that I temporarily went back to Windows, but as soon as my Ryzen build is finished and as much of the kinks concerning virtualization and hardware passthrough as possible are fixed I'll fully commit to switching back and just running Windows with my games in a VM. I'm so sick of Windows doing sh*t in the background or just reinstalling some stupid apps with every update. Most of my games on Steam are Linux compatible anyways so there's that too. I miss being able to press and have a terminal drop down from the top of my screen. I miss the clean combination of Icon/Font/Theme that I had installed it was just so. damn. perfect. -__- I miss feeling like I have control about what my computer is doing at any given moment, which no, I don't have in Windows. That's all I have. 

Linux masterrace and in Wendell we trust. 

The thing i miss the most is middle click to paste. 

4 hours ago, kaiju_wars said:

You must not be doing it right, because I do this all the time. Installing `openjdk-8-jre`, you can then open the file properties of Minecraft.jar with right click, mark as executable, and r-cick open with OpenJDK 8. And from then on it's just a simple double click to launch. No terminal necessary. There are guides on how to do this in almost every one of the distros, which I wished I read before fiddling about lol.

Edited by Schyken
Accidentally ommited part of the message

It's like food for the soul, but it's a drink for the body.

On 7/6/2017 at 2:41 PM, DrMacintosh said:

How do you know they're problems? 

Alternatives exist everywhere. The Russians use AK-47 assault rifles, and Americans use M-16 assault rifles. They both shoot bullets, and work. 

The M16 has its style of attatchment systems and the idea of a small fast moving bullet is the best way to kill

the AK-47 has a different style of attatchments and the idea a heavy slow moving bullet is the best way to kill. 

Mac/windows and Linux are Operating systems that work. 

Mac/windows have applications that work on them. 

Linux has its own applications that work on it. 

What's the difference between Microsoft word and Libre Office Functionally? Who cares? Libre works on linux, and office works on Mac/pc. You can change the font and type words. 

Whats the difference between gimp and photoshop? "Photoshop is better easier and makes sense."

well doesn't the AK-47 make more sense and is easier to operate than an M-16? Why don't you tell the US Army to use AK-47s instead of m-16 rifles, and see how far you get? 

I can spend all day talking about all the applications but I'll finish with 3Ds Max, and Maya. 

Both 3Ds Max and Maya are made for windows and Mac, and both are made by the SAME COMPANY. They both do the same thing. You can model, animate, rig characters and make remders, HOWEVER... you should NOT use the same controls for both programs. 3Ds Max and Maya are meant to be used in different ways. They simply work differently. If you don't understand how 3Ds Max and Maya work, why don't we compare a hammer to a drill. 

A hammer and a drill put a short piece of metal into wood. The metal goes in the same general way, however if you try and slam a drill into a screw, it won't work as easily as using the drill the way it's meant to. HOWEVER the drill cannot function without electricity. 

The hammer on the other hand cannot put a nail in by twisting, and works just fine without electricity. However you cannot hammer in a nail if there's no space to swing the hammer. 

Every tool and alternative has had an intended use, pros, and cons. 

In order to understand them you MUST fully try each method in the intended fashion. 

My final argument will be a video. Videogamedunkey's difficulty in video games. The video speaks for itself and if you cannot discern a comparison, nor accept the previously mentioned details, I know you're trying to not accept any ideas on purpose and formally request you to cease all discussion permanently.