Separate my internet from landlord

Anyone know how to keep my network secured and safe from any interaction from a network thats connected to the same modem?

As in, ...

I'm going to move in to a basement as a tenant.  I will have access to their internet, and have an ethernet cable available, with wifi already working.  However, i do not want to use his wifi, and have a router ready to setup my own.  But from my understanding, despite that, as my router will be connected to his router, (mine is an apple express, his is the Rogers Rocket router/modem), all my local lan stuff is technically share, like chromecast, or apple tv.  In my home setup now, it seems anything connected on the network is accessible, so when i move in technically, they could use see my chromecast.  

Reason why i need this, is mostly cause i'll have a synology connected, and despite its password protected, i just dont want them to even be able to detect it on their network.  Is just connecting a router enough?  Or is there a device that can manage the ethernet connection and secure it from other lan connections.

Thanks in advance.

Connecting the Ethernet cable the WAN port on your router and setting the DHCP server on your router to on should allow you to have a separate private network from the current network in the house, however, there is nothing guaranteeing that the landlord can't see the traffic flowing to your router from his.

Once you are using his( the landlord) ISP's modem/router to connect your router to, be it wifi/ethernet, then you can configure anything to not use it.....legally. You will have to install your own internet from a company to achieve this.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

if you are just trying to hide your traffic, you can do tons of things. for web browsing you can use tor. You could always get a splitter/switch plugged into their modem NOT router, and each have your own router plugged in from there. I dont think there is a way to view traffic through a modem, and his ISP wont relay info because that would require them admitting they are tracking you. 

1 minute ago, CakeArmy_Max said:

if you are just trying to hide your traffic, you can do tons of things. for web browsing you can use tor. You could always get a splitter/switch plugged into their modem NOT router, and each have your own router plugged in from there. I dont think there is a way to view traffic through a modem, and his ISP wont relay info because that would require them admitting they are tracking you. 

Except the fact that you almost always only get 1 IP on a residential connection and a switch plugged up behind the modem would present it with multiple devices asking for an IP and it would try to hand out two addresses or flip/flop between the two routers causing a lot of issues.

Just get a router that can act as a VPN endpoint, that way all traffic exiting is encrypted to the exit node.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

Except the fact that you almost always only get 1 IP on a residential connection and a switch plugged up behind the modem would present it with multiple devices asking for an IP and it would try to hand out two addresses or flip/flop between the two routers causing a lot of issues.

Just get a router that can act as a VPN endpoint, that way all traffic exiting is encrypted to the exit node.

I figured it was an apartment building (didnt read the whole post) which would have meant most likely it was a business line. you are right. 

Just put your own router on the ethernet cable you have and run your own internal network separating you from the other network but keeping internet access.

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

Unless you have a middle man doing something like this

- VLAN #1 (Your landlord's connection) 

Main connection -- |

- VLAN #2 (Your connection)

Then there's no real way to "seperate" it. What you could do is, get a VPN service for around $3 a month (http://www.privateinternetaccess.com) and have all of your traffic routed through there 24/7. Your landlord will not be able to spy on you no matter how hard he tries.

See if the ISP offers something called a tenant account or something. Pretty much you would pay for your own service but it would be discounted(since you're a just paying for another IP address) and you would have your own modem and public IP address. I know spectrum and cox offer these kinds of accounts but idk if that's your ISP

On 6/23/2017 at 5:11 PM, never_here said:

Anyone know how to keep my network secured and safe from any interaction from a network thats connected to the same modem?

As in, ...

I'm going to move in to a basement as a tenant.  I will have access to their internet, and have an ethernet cable available, with wifi already working.  However, i do not want to use his wifi, and have a router ready to setup my own.  But from my understanding, despite that, as my router will be connected to his router, (mine is an apple express, his is the Rogers Rocket router/modem), all my local lan stuff is technically share, like chromecast, or apple tv.  In my home setup now, it seems anything connected on the network is accessible, so when i move in technically, they could use see my chromecast.  

Reason why i need this, is mostly cause i'll have a synology connected, and despite its password protected, i just dont want them to even be able to detect it on their network.  Is just connecting a router enough?  Or is there a device that can manage the ethernet connection and secure it from other lan connections.

Thanks in advance.

The easiest way is on the first router in the chain create whats called a DMZ and remember the ip you used. On the second router change the connection type to static and use said ip address of the DMZ.