Rockstar is talking with OpenIV developer, issues new statement on mods.

trainergames

http://www.pcgamer.com/rockstar-is-talking-with-openiv-developer-issues-new-statement-on-mods/?utm_content=buffer857ec&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

"Rockstar Games believes in reasonable fan creativity, and, in particular, wants creators to showcase their passion for our games. After discussions with Take-Two, Take-Two has agreed that it generally will not take legal action against third-party projects involving Rockstar’s PC games that are single-player, non-commercial, and respect the intellectual property (IP) rights of third parties. This does not apply to (i) multiplayer or online services; (ii) tools, files, libraries, or functions that could be used to impact multiplayer or online services, or (iii) use or importation of other IP (including other Rockstar IP) in the project. This is not a license, and it does not constitute endorsement, approval, or authorization of any third-party project. Take-Two reserves the right to object to any third-party project, or to revise, revoke and/or withdraw this statement at any time in their own discretion. This statement does not constitute a waiver of any rights that Take-Two may have with respect to third-party projects."

On the more hopeful side of things, Rockstar has told PC Gamer that it is now in contact with the developer of OpenIV. That's certainly a positive step forward, and will hopefully lead to a more constructive resolution than a complete shutdown of the modding suite. When we have more details on this, we'll update our story.

We Did it!!!

MOD edit;

update here;

| I7 2600@4.2Ghz | Corsair A70 w/H100 fans | 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz | MSI Z77A G45 Gaming | Corsair TX650 | XFX R9 380 | 2x 120GB Samsung 840 SSD in RAID 0 | 2x Seagate 500GB in RAID 0 | 750GB Seagate | 500GB WDHDD + 500GB WD USB HDD | Sound Blaster Recon | Antec Sonta Case | HP LP2480zx @1920x1200 | Acer H243H @1920x1080 | BenQ EW2440

2 hours ago, trainergames said:

We Did it!!!

I wouldn't celebrate yet. That statement leaves them a lot of ways to still go after modders.

Current LTT F@H Rank: 90    Score: 2,503,680,659    Stats

Yes, I have 9 monitors.

My main PC (Hybrid Windows 10/Arch Linux):

OS: Arch Linux w/ XFCE DE (VFIO-Patched Kernel) as host OS, windows 10 as guest

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X w/PBO on (6c 12t for host, 6c 12t for guest)

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

Mobo: Asus X470-F Gaming

RAM: 32GB G-Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200MHz (12GB for host, 20GB for guest)

GPU: Guest: EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ULTRA Host: 2x Radeon HD 8470

PSU: EVGA G2 650W

SSDs: Guest: Samsung 850 evo 120 GB, Samsung 860 evo 1TB Host: Samsung 970 evo 500GB NVME

HDD: Guest: WD Caviar Blue 1 TB

Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Black w/ Tempered Glass Side Panel Upgrade

Other: White LED strip to illuminate the interior. Extra fractal intake fan for positive pressure.

unRAID server (Plex, Windows 10 VM, NAS, Duplicati, game servers):

CPU: Ryzen R7 2700x @ Stock

Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S

Mobo: Asus Prime X470-Pro

RAM: 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V + 16GB Hyperx Fury Black @ stock

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA G3 850W

SSD: Samsung 970 evo NVME 250GB, Samsung 860 evo SATA 1TB 

HDDs: 4x HGST Dekstar NAS 4TB @ 7200RPM (3 data, 1 parity)

Case: Sillverstone GD08B

Other: Added 3x Noctua NF-F12 intake, 2x Noctua NF-A8 exhaust, Inatek 5 port USB 3.0 expansion card with usb 3.0 front panel header

Details: 12GB ram, GTX 1080, USB card passed through to windows 10 VM. VM's OS drive is the SATA SSD. Rest of resources are for Plex, Duplicati, Spaghettidetective, Nextcloud, and game servers.

A positive step but I wouldnt break out the confetti and champagne quite yet.

also wtb night theme readable version

snip.PNG.83f6012046b7613b8757571a4b800c2e.PNG

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015

Its a start at least. I don't blame them for going after mods that mess with GTA Online, even one that don't count as cheats, but T2 overstepped when it messed with single-player stuff.

PS: Please fix the quotes for night users. Its grey text on a black background for us.

Please fix your quotes for night theme users. Highlight the text and click "Remove format". (The Tx button beside Size)

Even if Rockstar says it's ok, at the end of the day, Take-Two are the ones deciding so it's meaningless even if they say it's ok. If they wrongfully believe a mod can affect the online component, it will be issued a C&D letter, filled with spelling mistakes.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

11 minutes ago, trainergames said:

We Did it!!!

What did you do exactly? Were you picketing in front of Take Two's offices? 

Also, please fix your formatting.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

What did you do exactly? Were you picketing in front of Take Two's offices? 

Also, please fix your formatting.

Fixed it.

Also i was one of over 75k people that signed the change.org petition,and i also gave it a bad review on steam,but i was also meaning the people in general won against a company that stabbed us in the back. 

| I7 2600@4.2Ghz | Corsair A70 w/H100 fans | 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz | MSI Z77A G45 Gaming | Corsair TX650 | XFX R9 380 | 2x 120GB Samsung 840 SSD in RAID 0 | 2x Seagate 500GB in RAID 0 | 750GB Seagate | 500GB WDHDD + 500GB WD USB HDD | Sound Blaster Recon | Antec Sonta Case | HP LP2480zx @1920x1200 | Acer H243H @1920x1080 | BenQ EW2440

15 minutes ago, trainergames said:

Also i was one of over 75k people that signed the change.org petition,and i also gave it a bad review on steam,but i was also meaning the people in general won against a company that stabbed us in the back. 

Online petitions are meaningless, if you want real change, sign a real petition on paper and send it to their office, a couple hundred times, also send them well written letters explaining your point of view on the matter, flood their mail box with those, it will show actual dedication to the cause instead of just signing some form online and sending an email.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Assuming Take2 gave Rockstar the greenlight to negotiate with the OpenIV developer(s), I guess R wants to see if they can come to a compromise, because in the end, the tool was used for, well, less than good intentions.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

7 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

Were you picketing in front of Take Two's offices? 

Close. They were complaining on a forum that Take Two doesn't know exists.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Online petitions are meaningless, if you want real change, sign a real petition on paper and send it to their office, a couple hundred times, also send them well written letters explaining your point of view on the matter, flood their mail box with those, it will show actual dedication to the cause instead of just signing some form online and sending an email.

Social media has been and can be an effective tool.

July 12th is coming.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

4 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Assuming Take2 gave Rockstar the greenlight to negotiate with the OpenIV developer(s), I guess R wants to see if they can come to a compromise, because in the end, the tool was used for, well, less than good intentions.

Not according to @Derangel.  Per his post in the other thread, OpenIV disabled the multiplayer functionality when used.

7 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Please fix your quotes for night theme users. Highlight the text and click "Remove format". (The Tx button beside Size)

Even if Rockstar says it's ok, at the end of the day, Take-Two are the ones deciding so it's meaningless even if they say it's ok. If they wrongfully believe a mod can affect the online component, it will be issued a C&D letter, filled with spelling mistakes.

Grammatical mistakes and I don't believe that's the case here. It sounds to me as if R* have stamped their authority and told TT that they overstepped the boundary.

After discussions with Take-Two, Take-Two has agreed that it generally will not take legal action against third-party projects involving Rockstar’s PC games that are single-player, non-commercial, and respect the intellectual property (IP) rights of third parties.

This part in particular is the important bit, R* used common sense and I'm assuming TT decided its not worth risking their cash blue whale over something as small as mods so they backed down.

Good job R*, its a victory for consumers and a victory for common sense. I only hope that every single review bomber now has the decency to go and change or remove their review because it sounds like R* stood up for us on this one so they deserve the respect back.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

18 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Not true at all, Open IV actually disables MP entirely when mods are active. TT showed a complete lack of understanding and made the classic mistake of killing everything they could think of without knowing what the things they were attacking did.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Emphasis on ''reasonable''

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Jim Sterling chimes in...

It occurs to me that, if its true (and I've seen no evidence backing it up yet) that OpenIV was being used to mod the multiplayer game then couldn't R* just add a hook to the exe that checks for OpenIV and if its running automatically locks MP out itself instead of relying on OpenIV to do it.

I've used OpenIV myself a hell of a lot on GTA IV & V and I can say with certainty that it does disable MP if mods are active, the option to launch it is greyed out and cannot be clicked. If OpenIV is being used for MP mods then its an unofficial build anyway so I'm sure then OpenIV Debs wouldn't mind a hard coded MP lock.

Seems like a reasonable compromise to me.

12 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Not true at all, Open IV actually disables MP entirely when mods are active. TT showed a complete lack of understanding and made the classic mistake of killing everything they could think of without knowing what the things they were attacking did.

Maybe that's the real problem they have with it. They make a sizeable chunk of cash off GTA online microtransactions, and the widespread use of OpenIV may be lowering their playerbase online and losing them potential revenue. 

1 hour ago, Magnetorheological said:

Maybe that's the real problem they have with it. They make a sizeable chunk of cash off GTA online microtransactions, and the widespread use of OpenIV may be lowering their playerbase online and losing them potential revenue. 

That`s what I was thinking, they care more about the guys dropping cash to players than the people who were killing everyone on servers because the cash drop affected their income. Using the grieving excuse made it seem as if they really cared about the cared about the players

On 6/23/2017 at 1:06 PM, sazrocks said:

I wouldn't celebrate yet. That statement leaves them a lot of ways to still go after modders.

Just like with what happened with the Nostalrius (or whatever) Private Vanilla Wow Servers. Blizzard shut them down. 

Never understood the negative review stuff for it....Take Two are like the PR and Rockstar if they had the ability to just say "Leave mods" they would but T2 are the REAL enemy...leaving bad reviews just seems so childish and makes gamers sound spoiled. :dry:

Regular human bartender...Jackie Daytona.

• 2 weeks later...

OpenIV is finally back! A petition on Change.org was created and 80,000 people had signed the petition. Also the Reviews of GTA 5 on steam had dropped dramatically. This had pushed Rockstar to talk with Two-Takes Interactive and revert their decision. The creators of OpenIV released a statement 20 hours ago on how OpenIV development will be continued.

The creators of OpenIV had stated this in their statement earlier

The development of OpenIV will be continued as before. OpenIV never supported GTA Online modding and will not support it in the future. Our work will be continued within the Rockstar modding policy.

Sources: http://openiv.com/

http://gtaforums.com/topic/889348-take-two-vs-modding/page-149#entry1069702197

Tech enthusiast and CS Student

Very old news.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

Very old news.

Rockstar was attempting to talk with OpenIV to relaunch the project on the previous threads. Nothing was stated on the forums yet that it had been confirmed 20 hours ago that they decided to re-open the project. 

Tech enthusiast and CS Student