Jump to content
speedy22013

Does the NVIDIA geforce GTX 1060 work for me?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Nickathom said:

no... facepalm
vulcan and dx12 are both apis, and they both favor amd gpus
older apis, like opengl and dx11 favor nvidia gpus
none of the apis are owned by nvidia or amd, but some tend to favor one company over another. 

 

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

 Direct X = Microsoft

Vulkan = AMD

 

In most games, you're not going to be noticing much of a difference between the two to worry about stressing over needing to know the ends and outs of both, lol.

Haha, Thanks for the explaning, Im only 14 you know xD So it would be better to choose a AMD GPU than a NVIDIA system?


My hamster "speedy" runs in my computer, so don't even say its slow... :$:D

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, speedy22013 said:

 

Haha, Thanks for the explaning, Im only 14 you know xD So it would be better to choose a AMD GPU than a NVIDIA system?

depends how much youre spending on a gpou. 300 and under? go amd. more than that? go nvidia


CPU            GPU                          RAM           DISPLAY        xD
r5 1600  Sapphire rx 480 4gb        4x2          1920x1200        ayyyymd
(3.8)       (1350/2200)                    (2667)           (60hz)           Dank Moist memes

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, speedy22013 said:

Thank you, but can my hardware that I want to be able to upgrade in the future like a new prossesor, videocard, ram. Work with 550watt or do I need to buy the 650 watt? what do you think?

 

For only 8 Euro more it's not a bad choice, it might last a bit longer since it won't be stressed as much. But unless you do Crossfire/SLI (The GTX 1060 cannot SLI) you won't end up using even close to that


Personal build >  New AMD main gaming+Recording setup.                    

 RX480 VS GTX 1060 Conclusion    PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Nickathom said:

depends how much youre spending on a gpou. 300 and under? go amd. more than that? go nvidia

So lets say if I spend 300 euros on a GPU (the Geforce GTX 1060), I would be better off with a similar version off AMD


My hamster "speedy" runs in my computer, so don't even say its slow... :$:D

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, speedy22013 said:

 

Haha, Thanks for the explaning, Im only 14 you know xD So it would be better to choose a AMD GPU than a NVIDIA system?

 Between an RX 580 and GTX 1060, both are close to performance with the RX 580 having a bit more raw power--but this is a moot point since the actual game can be either optimized for either or not very well optimized at all. It all depends lol

 

The real deciding factor is budget + availability and right now AMD cards in that price range are being artificially inflated above what they are actually worth.


PRISIMHEART 2.0

Case: TT Core V1 || PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750w || MB: Asrock Fata1ity AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac || CPU: AMD Ryzen R5 1600 || CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 w/ FD Venturi fan || RAM: G.Skill Flare X 16GB || GPU: Galax GTX 1070 EXOC-SNPR || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Crucial MX500 1TB + SG Firecuda 2TB

 

PERIPHERALS / DISPLAY

Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum || Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum || Monitor: HP Omen 32

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Megah3rtz said:

For only 8 Euro more it's not a bad choice, it might last a bit longer since it won't be stressed as much. But unless you do Crossfire/SLI (The GTX 1060 cannot SLI) you won't end up using even close to that 

Thanks!


My hamster "speedy" runs in my computer, so don't even say its slow... :$:D

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, speedy22013 said:

So lets say if I spend 300 euros on a GPU (the Geforce GTX 1060), I would be better off with a similar version off AMD

id get the 580. higher tflops and more vram, as well as the ability to overvolt.


CPU            GPU                          RAM           DISPLAY        xD
r5 1600  Sapphire rx 480 4gb        4x2          1920x1200        ayyyymd
(3.8)       (1350/2200)                    (2667)           (60hz)           Dank Moist memes

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Mooshi said:

 Between an RX 580 and GTX 1060, both are close to performance with the RX 580 having a bit more raw power--but this is a moot point since the actual game can be either optimized for either or not very well optimized at all. It all depends lol

 

The real deciding factor is budget + availability and right now AMD cards in that price range are being artificially inflated above what they are actually worth.

Haha it is so confusing because some people say you need to go AMD thats better and other people say goo NVIDIA thats better

 


My hamster "speedy" runs in my computer, so don't even say its slow... :$:D

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, speedy22013 said:

Haha it is so confusing because some people say you need to go AMD thats better and other people say goo NVIDIA thats better

 

 

3 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

 Between an RX 580 and GTX 1060, both are close to performance with the RX 580 having a bit more raw power--but this is a moot point since the actual game can be either optimized for either or not very well optimized at all. It all depends lol

 

The real deciding factor is budget + availability and right now AMD cards in that price range are being artificially inflated above what they are actually worth.

another option to consider is if you want a FreeSync monitor either now or some time in the future. 


Personal build >  New AMD main gaming+Recording setup.                    

 RX480 VS GTX 1060 Conclusion    PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

id get the 580. higher tflops and more vram, as well as the ability to overvolt.

Okay so the AMD Radeon RX 580 is the way to go, The "only" actual thing the 1060 does better is pixel rate. right?

 


My hamster "speedy" runs in my computer, so don't even say its slow... :$:D

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Megah3rtz said:

 

another option to consider is if you want a FreeSync monitor either now or some time in the future. 

So to consider what the AMD Radeon RX 580 or the NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060? xD sorry Im not really a pro in this yet.


My hamster "speedy" runs in my computer, so don't even say its slow... :$:D

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, speedy22013 said:

Haha it is so confusing because some people say you need to go AMD thats better and other people say goo NVIDIA thats better

 

 

Real answer is neither are better. It all comes down to what games you play, are those games optimized more for AMD or Nvidia, what you're willing to pay for a card and if that GPU is available.

 

Had an RX 480 last year that I returned to get a GTX 1060 as a replacement because in OpenGL, AMD cards would artifact under certain advanced lighting settings. So for *my* personal usage, AMD cards aren't an option regardless of the raw power being greater than a 1060. That PC now belongs to my girlfriend and my new one has a 1070.

 

lol the basic answer is a "it depends what you use your system for". If it's just PC gaming in general, get whichever is cheaper at the time between AMD and Nvidia in that class. 

 

edit: Also depends if you wanted a monitor with GSync (Nvidia's Vsync) or Freesync (AMD's Vsync). because if you wanted one of those monitors, you'd have to match it with the appropriate card to take advantage of that feature. GTX cards for Gsync monitors and RX cards for Freesync.

 

Note: An Nvidia card paired with a Freesync monitor or an AMD card paired with a Gsync monitor will still work fine. You'll just miss out on the exclusive versions of vsync.


PRISIMHEART 2.0

Case: TT Core V1 || PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 750w || MB: Asrock Fata1ity AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac || CPU: AMD Ryzen R5 1600 || CPU Cooler: Cryorig H7 w/ FD Venturi fan || RAM: G.Skill Flare X 16GB || GPU: Galax GTX 1070 EXOC-SNPR || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + Crucial MX500 1TB + SG Firecuda 2TB

 

PERIPHERALS / DISPLAY

Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum || Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum || Monitor: HP Omen 32

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

the meaning of my post obviously flew right over your head

and, for the record, ALL gpus have had problems with vulcan, its a new api and for some reason, id hasnt updated their game very often. when it does work, the improvements on amd are larger than the ones on nvidia gpus

No, it obviously did not... You said (and I quote) "nvidia gpus dont work as well with newer apis" and I gave an example that disproved that...

 

Jesus at least give me some good material to work with here. This is just too easy.


Laptop: Latitude E4310 w/ i5 580M, 4GB RAM, 120GB 840 EVO, and Intel 7260 wireless card + Windows 7 Professional x64

Main PC: Look at my profile you lazy skrublord

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, tmcclelland455 said:

No, it obviously did not... You said (and I quote) "nvidia gpus dont work as well with newer apis" and I gave an example that disproved that...

 

Jesus at least give me some good material to work with here. This is just too easy.

yes it did and youre proving me right. i meant they dont perform as well, and for the record, google problems with vulcan, youll find just as many if not more problems being found on nvidia gpus. 


CPU            GPU                          RAM           DISPLAY        xD
r5 1600  Sapphire rx 480 4gb        4x2          1920x1200        ayyyymd
(3.8)       (1350/2200)                    (2667)           (60hz)           Dank Moist memes

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, speedy22013 said:

So to consider what the AMD Radeon RX 580 or the NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060? xD sorry Im not really a pro in this yet.

FreeSync is a feature you can get for monitors, it makes gameplay much smoother and eliminates frame tearing. Sounds great, but it's AMD Exclusive. You can usually find decent freesync monitors for about 10-20$ more than whatever is in similar specs. 

 

Nvidia has an Equivalent called G-Sync, but they licensed it so any Gsync monitor is consistently about +$200-$300 than it's Non-Gsync version. As with Freesync being exclusive, G-Sync is exclusive to only Nvidia hardware. 

 

 

Example! 

 

Regular TN 1ms 1080p 24" 144hz monitor https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00B19T7QC/?tag=pcp05-21

 

Freesync TN 1ms 1080p 24" https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/ZBZ2FT/aoc-monitor-g2460pf

 

Cheapest Gsync Monitor. https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00LBSZHAI/?tag=pcp05-21 (Same monitor as the freesync version!) 

 

I wouldve compared compared 60HZ monitors because the price is much lower, but Gsync has only 144hz it seems. 

 

 

If you're happy with your current monitor, there's no reason to switch. it's a very nice feature if you plan on getting 144hz. 

 

 


Personal build >  New AMD main gaming+Recording setup.                    

 RX480 VS GTX 1060 Conclusion    PLEASE QUOTE OR @ ME FOR A RESPONSE xD 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 minutes ago, Megah3rtz said:

FreeSync is a feature you can get for monitors, it makes gameplay much smoother and eliminates frame tearing. Sounds great, but it's AMD Exclusive. You can usually find decent freesync monitors for about 10-20$ more than whatever is in similar specs. 

 

Nvidia has an Equivalent called G-Sync, but they licensed it so any Gsync monitor is consistently about +$200-$300 than it's Non-Gsync version. As with Freesync being exclusive, G-Sync is exclusive to only Nvidia hardware. 

 

 

Example! 

 

Regular TN 1ms 1080p 24" 144hz monitor https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00B19T7QC/?tag=pcp05-21

 

Freesync TN 1ms 1080p 24" https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/ZBZ2FT/aoc-monitor-g2460pf

 

Cheapest Gsync Monitor. https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00LBSZHAI/?tag=pcp05-21 (Same monitor as the freesync version!) 

 

I wouldve compared compared 60HZ monitors because the price is much lower, but Gsync has only 144hz it seems. 

 

 

If you're happy with your current monitor, there's no reason to switch. it's a very nice feature if you plan on getting 144hz. 

 

 

Thank you very much now I understand/get what it means! But I think that im happy with what I have now.


My hamster "speedy" runs in my computer, so don't even say its slow... :$:D

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Nickathom said:

yes it did and youre proving me right. i meant they dont perform as well, and for the record, google problems with vulcan, youll find just as many if not more problems being found on nvidia gpus. 

lmaok


Laptop: Latitude E4310 w/ i5 580M, 4GB RAM, 120GB 840 EVO, and Intel 7260 wireless card + Windows 7 Professional x64

Main PC: Look at my profile you lazy skrublord

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Buy VPN

×