Multiple display capability

gt1551

I am interested in making my own custom build pc and have but together some parts for the build. Nothing has been ordered yet, this is just what I am planning on atm.

My issue is as follows: I am someone who for the past few years has used a high-end laptop with great specs to do whatever I have had to, from gaming to work and such. At some point I added a second screen and I do not know how I have ever lived without it. I was planning on doing the same thing for the new rig im going to build, however I heard a lot of my friends talk about the fact that sometimes it wasnt easy to handle and would slow your system down or affect it negatively. This seemed like an unusual conclusion to arrive to for me, but not being the most knowledgeable in displays and this being my first own personal custom build, I figured it was worth addressing the forums for an opinion.

The graphics card I have chosen only has 2 DP ports due to the "VR Ready" feature that gives it 2 HDMI 2.0 ports as well. I am planning on sticking to 2 monitors to start with through DP connection. I doubt this will be a problem for the rig I have set up, however ill ask anyway. Secondly, I think about adding a third monitor, but for this, i'll have to use an HDMI port, will this cause any trouble?

Here is the build

CPU: Intel i7-7700k

GPU: Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 ti OC

CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x52

Case: Corsair Crystal 460x RGB

HDD: Seagate Barracude 3tb

SSD: 1TB Samsung 850evo

Motherboard; Asus MAXIMUS IX FORMULA

PSU: Corsair HX750i 

RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance 3200MHz

Extra case fans: 3xAF120 performance edition Corsair

The only issue I have ever had with multiple displays, is that when I connect a third my gpu shoots up to 700mhz or so, and stays there no matter what.

In general I've only ever noticed a frame rate loss of around 1-2fps, within a margin of error.

I forgot to mention, I believe the 7700k has a IGPU, fairly certain of it, if you can get a mobo with display connections, you can connect the display to your IGPU to avoid the clock ramping up.

Most modern graphics cards are happy supporting three displays via 2 DP and 1 HDMI (exclusive) or DVI. You may experience an increase in the idle clocks as previously mentioned. However, for two displays, this seemed to be mostly an issue mixing a high refresh rate monitor (120+ Hz) with a standard refresh rate monitor (60Hz). But I think NVIDIA fixed it on their end since I've noticed my card doesn't stay on a high-idle clock.

As far as "slowing things down", the only thing extra monitors take up is VRAM, which wouldn't be much anyway if you get something 4GB or higher. With 11GB on the 1080 Ti, you may as well tell me running Notepad noticeably affects performance.

Yurizaki's correct, you won't have any problems with "strain" on your card. Just be mindful of the cables and connections that you'll need, and make sure each of your monitors has the correct inputs to match the connection you want to assign to them. Best of luck building :)