LoJack/Computrace Question

mr195

Hello,

Just a quick question about the security app Computrace. I know that it sets itself in the BIOS so it can be reinstalled if somebody were to remove it. However, if somebody took the hard drive out of my laptop and put it as a secondary drive in another machine, are they able to view/edit my files? Or does Computrace somehow have a way to prevent them from doing this?

You need full disk encryption to keep people from viewing the files on your drive. You can use bitlocker in windows or luks in linux. Otherwise they have full access to your drive.

19 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You need full disk encryption to keep people from viewing the files on your drive. You can use bitlocker in windows or luks in linux. Otherwise they have full access to your drive.

Makes sense, thanks for you answer. In this event, would Computrace on my stolen hdd still communicate with their servers or would it have no way to run since the OS wouldn't know it is there?

39 minutes ago, mr195 said:

Makes sense, thanks for you answer. In this event, would Computrace on my stolen hdd still communicate with their servers or would it have no way to run since the OS wouldn't know it is there?

Does the laptop have bios support for computrace?

If not the os needs to be booted to communicate, else the bios can do it with out the os running.

48 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Does the laptop have bios support for computrace?

If not the os needs to be booted to communicate, else the bios can do it with out the os running.

Mine does, but I'm wondering if somebody removed the hdd and put it in a different machine

25 minutes ago, mr195 said:

Mine does, but I'm wondering if somebody removed the hdd and put it in a different machine

they can still access all the files, unless you encrypt the files.