Running CPU fan at 100% all of the time

SammyGoad

So I built my first pc, installed my first non oem heatsink (Artic i11 rated to 150w) and the fan never came on. I tried messing around in the bios with no luck so I pinned the fan manually to 100%. the noise level is acceptable and mostly inaudible due to city apartments not being the quietest place to start. Should I be worried about doing this, my pc stayings on for about 12 hours a day. it was only a $20 cooler so if it lasts a year or two I'm happy with that. 

Windows[I5 2500 3.3Ghz-3.7Ghz 4 cores 4 threads][12gbs of Samsung DDR3 1600 Mhz Ram][MSI GTX 1050 TI 4GB OC]

Apple[IPhone SE] [Imac 21.5 dual core 3 Gghz][Time Capsule 3TB]

Linux[Several laptops]

what kind of fan is it (PWM or DC)? and is your fan controller software using the correct power delivery type to run the fan (generally a BIOS thing).

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

what kind of fan is it (PWM or DC)? and is your fan controller software using the correct power delivery type to run the fan (generally a BIOS thing).

Well, its got four pins so I think PWM and I changed the fan speed in the BIOS after some reading.

Windows[I5 2500 3.3Ghz-3.7Ghz 4 cores 4 threads][12gbs of Samsung DDR3 1600 Mhz Ram][MSI GTX 1050 TI 4GB OC]

Linux[Several laptops]

Well, the concept in itself is fine, however I'd be more so worried about some sort of power issue from the motherboard, find another PWM fan and see if it powers on from the header. If not that is a larger issue in itself. As for the fan being at 100%, It's probably not the best of ideas, due to fans being best used around 80%, but for a year, It may last. Dependent on the quality of the fan itself

1 minute ago, SammyGoad said:

Well, its got four pins so I think PWM and I changed the fan speed in the BIOS after some reading.

OK but did you set the fan type to PWM in bios, or is it still thinking it's a DC fan?

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

Just now, knightslugger said:

OK but did you set the fan type to PWM in bios, or is it still thinking it's a DC fan?

Im afraid I dont know the difference between PWM and DC, I went to Monitoring and fans in the BIOS, set it to manual mode and set the speed at 100%.

Linux[Several laptops]

On 23.6.2017 at 10:10 PM, SammyGoad said:

Im afraid I dont know the difference between PWM and DC, I went to Monitoring and fans in the BIOS, set it to manual mode and set the speed at 100%.

PWM = Pulse Width Module aka sends pulse to fan which tells it to spin one rotation. More pulses, faster rpm. DC sends constant voltage to fan which makes it spin. More voltage, faster rpm. Difference between the two is accuracy of control.

But to your original worry. All fans are rated to run at full speed. Any specs saying lifespan in hours is about fan running constant 100%.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

Pulse Width

this is to be taken LITERALLY. it's not one rotation like a line of code for a stepper motor, it's how long to sustain a 12v pulse. i doubt the fan would even move if you pulsed 12v for 1uS/S

System specs:

6 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

PWM = Pulse Width Module aka sends pulse to fan which tells it to spin one rotation. More pulses, faster rpm. DC sends constant voltage to fan which makes it spin. More voltage, faster rpm. Difference between the two is accuracy of control.

But to your original worry. All fans are rated to run at full speed. Any specs saying lifespan in hours is about fan running constant 100%.

Thank you, I figured out the settings and I have an aggressive, but not 100% fan speed atm  

Linux[Several laptops]