Case fans and airflow help

gt1551

Hey guys,

I am preparing a gaming rig for myself and i've been trying to learn about the most optimal and efficient ways to use the fans.

First here is the build:

CPU: Intel i7-7700k

GPU: Asus Nvidia Geforce GTX 1080 ti OC

CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x52

Case: Corsair Crystal 460x RGB

HDD: Seagate Barracude 2tb

SSD: 1TB Samsung 850evo

Motherboard; Asus MAXIMUS IX FORMULA

PSU: Corsair HX750i 

RAM: Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance 3200MHz

Extra case fans: 3xRGB SP120 Corsair

I have attached an image to what my case looks like below from a side view. I will have a my aio watercooling radiator mounted on the front of the case. My first question is about this, my case has room for a 360mm in the front instead of just a 240mm radiator, does upgrading the radiator size (so switching from a NZXT kraken x52 to a x62) make any difference for my cpu cooling?

Secondly, I am planning on using the 3 case fans on the front, as well as purchasing an extra 3 fans (SP 120 Corsairs). 1 would be mounted on the upper back of the case, and 2 towards the top. Due to my limited knowledge in the airflow department and what would be most beneficial for my case, I would like to request any and all advice to which way each group of fans should be facing as well as an explanation to why if possible.

case.jpg

if you already have an x52 then dont bother to get the x62, but if you havent purchased any, get the x62.

as for fan placement etc, you want fans on the front as intake, the top and back as exhaust, it doesnt really matter if you have say 2 fans on the front and 3 on the top, as long as you have positive air pressure.

18 minutes ago, gt1551 said:

does upgrading the radiator size (so switching from a NZXT kraken x52 to a x62) make any difference for my cpu cooling?

It will help, but know this:  I have the 400c which is the same exact case, except no tempered glass.  If you use a 360 Rad on the front, you might have to remove the shroud that covers the HDD bay. The radiator and fan bump right up against that shroud to the point that your fan/radiator are being squeezed between that and the front of the case.  I wasn't comfortable with that, so I moved my 240 closer to the top. Also, depending on how you have your fans, every time you need to remove it  you have to take the shroud off too, which can be a pain in the ass. In short, the 360 Rad turned out to be more trouble than its worth. You can just keep the shroud that covers the  PSU only as they are two separate pieces, but IMO it looks like shit.  

I just used to 240 rad with a push/pull confiq which gives temps in the low 50's high 40's while gaming.  They're always spinning at least %50 just so i always have air coming into the case as those are my only intakes. At max load, they only jump up to maybe 60-65%  I have 3 exhaust fans all spinning at 50% at all times. Any faster and they would create a negative pressure in the case.  I also have the PSU turned upside down so that its pulling air from under the case instead of inside the case, otherwise i would have too much exhaust.   Its also worth mentioning that you shouldn't use SP fans for exhaust, as the AF (Air Flow) series moves air much more effectively.  SP fans are for static pressure, meaning they were designed to push air though things like radiators.  

5 minutes ago, Ctown0812 said:

It will help, but know this:  I have the 400c which is the same exact case, except no tempered glass.  If you use a 360 Rad on the front, you might have to remove the shroud that covers the HDD bay. The radiator and fan bump right up against that shroud to the point that your fan/radiator are being squeezed between that and the front of the case.  I wasn't comfortable with that, so I moved my 240 closer to the top. Also, depending on how you have your fans, every time you need to remove it  you have to take the shroud off too, which can be a pain in the ass. In short, the 360 Rad turned out to be more trouble than its worth. You can just keep the shroud that covers the  PSU only as they are two separate pieces, but IMO it looks like shit.  

I just used to 240 rad with a push/pull confiq which gives temps in the low 50's high 40's while gaming.  They're always spinning at least %50 just so i always have air coming into the case as those are my only intakes. At max load, they only jump up to maybe 60-65%  I have 3 exhaust fans all spinning at 50% at all times. Any faster and they would create a negative pressure in the case.  I also have the PSU turned upside down so that its pulling air from under the case instead of inside the case, otherwise i would have too much exhaust.   Its also worth mentioning that you shouldn't use SP fans for exhaust, as the AF (Air Flow) series moves air much more effectively.  SP fans are for static pressure, meaning they were designed to push air though things like radiators.  

In that case i guess that ill stick with the 240mm nzxt kraken x52. Idk about your case but i wasnt sure there was enough space for a push/pull configuration on a front mounted radiator with the gpu im getting being so high profile and space taking.

secondly, then i'd replace the 3 extra case fans from sp120 rgbs to 3 AF120 performance editions. My first question then would be, is it still worth hooking up these fans to the controller that comes with my case (and allows 6 fans to be connected)? My other question involves positive/negative pressure in a case, how do i control this and what would be the consequences of having negative pressure and the benefits of having positive pressure? Im pretty knowledgeable about most other components and the way they work, but ive always been a bit second to air flow so ide like to muster up as much knowledge as i can, especially cause it will benefit my rig for the years to come

1 minute ago, gt1551 said:

In that case i guess that ill stick with the 240mm nzxt kraken x52. Idk about your case but i wasnt sure there was enough space for a push/pull configuration on a front mounted radiator with the gpu im getting being so high profile and space taking.

secondly, then i'd replace the 3 extra case fans from sp120 rgbs to 3 AF120 performance editions. My first question then would be, is it still worth hooking up these fans to the controller that comes with my case (and allows 6 fans to be connected)? My other question involves positive/negative pressure in a case, how do i control this and what would be the consequences of having negative pressure and the benefits of having positive pressure? Im pretty knowledgeable about most other components and the way they work, but ive always been a bit second to air flow so ide like to muster up as much knowledge as i can, especially cause it will benefit my rig for the years to come

A push pull will fit with a 1080ti AFAIK, but if you don't want to risk it... i don't blame you.  you could always add more fans later.  Your controller should be able to handle 6 fans.  consult the manual for how many fans you can have per channel or how many amps the fans pull vs how much one channel can support.  Negative pressure can cause higher temps, and more positive pressure can cause dust to build up a lot quicker.  its best to balance it as best you can. a good rule of thumb is to have the same number of exhaust as you do intake.  If you have an uneven amount of fans, you can adjust the speeds of fans to compensate for lake of intake or exhaust.  I just had to play around with mine until i found something that worked.  

1 minute ago, Ctown0812 said:

A push pull will fit with a 1080ti AFAIK, but if you don't want to risk it... i don't blame you.  you could always add more fans later.  Your controller should be able to handle 6 fans.  consult the manual for how many fans you can have per channel or how many amps the fans pull vs how much one channel can support.  Negative pressure can cause higher temps, and more positive pressure can cause dust to build up a lot quicker.  its best to balance it as best you can. a good rule of thumb is to have the same number of exhaust as you do intake.  If you have an uneven amount of fans, you can adjust the speeds of fans to compensate for lake of intake or exhaust.  I just had to play around with mine until i found something that worked.  

In that case. If i do not opt for push/pull, i will use the 3 case fans with the 240mm radiator as intake, and the 2 on the top and 1 on the back as exhaust which with the rule of thumb is fine.

But lets say i did do push/pull, on the radiator, would I need 1-2 extra exhaust fans in this case? (pun not intended)

I'm in a similar boat and based on where on my desk the tower is going to be placed, is there any reason i couldn't reverse this and have the top and back fans intake and the front fans exhaust?  

On 6/23/2017 at 2:52 PM, gt1551 said:

In that case. If i do not opt for push/pull, i will use the 3 case fans with the 240mm radiator as intake, and the 2 on the top and 1 on the back as exhaust which with the rule of thumb is fine.

But lets say i did do push/pull, on the radiator, would I need 1-2 extra exhaust fans in this case? (pun not intended)

No, 3 exhaust is fine in both scenarios.  Just be careful how you position the radiator so that your able to fit all three fans in front.  Some radiators might not let you put it up high enough to fit the third fan on the bottom.

On 6/23/2017 at 6:53 PM, jmullin09 said:

I'm in a similar boat and based on where on my desk the tower is going to be placed, is there any reason i couldn't reverse this and have the top and back fans intake and the front fans exhaust?  

I don't recommend that.  Hot air naturally rises, so pushing in cool air from the top is counter productive.  It can cause hot, stagnant air in the case because hot air trying to escape where cool air is coming in.