Best TIM replacement for 4790k + delid question

Hello all,

My 4790k machine has been plagued by temp issues recently so i've decided to just go a delid and replace the tim. For temps what would be the best TIM replacement to purchase? And/or could I slap my Noctua c14s right on top of the 4790k die?

Thanks

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

5 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

For temps what would be the best TIM replacement to purchase?

Liquid Metal: CoolLaboratory Liquid Ultra or Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut.

And get a delid tool

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

3 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Liquid Metal: CoolLaboratory Liquid Ultra or Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut.

And get a delid tool

Thanks

Have a delid too already, actually backed the original on kickstarter way back when. 

Since I got you here, off topic, but what should I do with a 5820k? one fell into my lap. Havent figured out what to do with it.

9 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

And/or could I slap my Noctua c14s right on top of the 4790k die?

yes you can do that its coled direct die cooling

its the B| option

Coollabratory Liquid Ultra Gallium based TIM

Cooler direct to die will not work as the IHS provides necessary height for contact with cooler. I suppose using a straight thermal pad would solve the height issue, but your thermal performance would suffer immeasurably.

De-lid, clean the old TIM, mask off the die with scotch tape, coat the die with CLU (DO NOT get any CLU on pcb components or you will kill your CPU), glue the corners, let it cure, and enjoy. I saw 20*C drop in temps on my 6700k.

[FS][US] Corsair H115i 280mm AIO-AMD $60+shipping

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

3 minutes ago, Ethocreeper said:

yes you can do that its coled direct die cooling

its the B| option

You can do it, but it's very hard to do and not worth it, you only get a few C lower temps by doing that, but you have to mod the socket or get a special tool to hold the CPU in place

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

I like using arctic silver ceramic poly synthetic compound when needed for non-conductive applications.

I like using arctic silver 99% pure silver compound when I don't have to worry about anything around it being conductive

The issue with a full delid is the retention arm holding down the CPU applies pressure on top of the IHS. Without it the CPU will just be flopping around in the socket.

5 minutes ago, knightslugger said:

De-lid, clean the old TIM, mask off the die with scotch tape, coat the CPU with CLU, glue the corners, let it cure, and enjoy. I saw 20*C drop in temps on my 6700k.

Anything in particular recommended as glue? And should I place this in the cpu bracket to apply pressure for setting?

Just now, goodtofufriday said:

Anything in particular recommended as glue? And should I place this in the cpu bracket to apply pressure for setting?

you don't have to glue at all, if you just close the arm while holding the spreader in place:

https://youtu.be/ZlsE2oUTBzE?t=85

3 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

I used Krazy Glue, i'm sure there are better adhesives to use. i think locktight makes a decent one. just needs to be strong.

i should note, you need to remove all the black schmoo from the PCB and IHS before reattaching. remove the masking, place the cleaned IHS back on the die, and THEN glue the corners.

Just now, TrigrH said:

you don't have to glue at all, if you just close the arm while holding the spreader in place:

I still recommend gluing it in case you need to perform system maintenance that involves removing the cooler from the CPU, which would entail cleaning off the CLU and reapplying it... which isn't exactly easy.

System specs:
Asus Prime X370 Pro - Custom EKWB CPU/GPU 2x360 1x240 soft loop - Ryzen 1700X - Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x16GB - Plextor 512 NVMe + 2TB SU800 - EVGA GTX1080ti - LianLi PC11 Dynamic

1 minute ago, knightslugger said:

I still recommend gluing it in case you need to perform system maintenance that involves removing the cooler from the CPU, which would entail cleaning off the CLU and reapplying it... which isn't exactly easy.

no???? 

As long as you don't take the CPU out of the socket its not going to move?

10 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

no???? 

As long as you don't take the CPU out of the socket its not going to move?

oh, shit... well duh, right? friggin moron me. not enough coffee apparently.

still though not a fan of the idea that the CLU could move around much, especially on PCB mounted components near-ish by.

System specs:

Conductonaught

by I highly recomend not doing it 

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

3 hours ago, goodtofufriday said:

Hello all,

My 4790k machine has been plagued by temp issues recently so i've decided to just go a delid and replace the tim. For temps what would be the best TIM replacement to purchase? And/or could I slap my Noctua c14s right on top of the 4790k die?

Thanks

just keep in mind that the liquid metal ones conduct so be carefull with it