Simple Ryzen question

Just a quick and dirty question

Ryzen 1700 or Ryzen 1700X? Which one is better overall? (Both Value and performance per dollar) 

Ps: will be using Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi when released

From what I heard the x versions are usually just higher clocked. Considering you are getting an aftermarket cooler, just get the 1700 and overclock. Not too much of an expert on Ryzen TBH.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

If you will OC get the 1700, if you won't OC then get the 1700X.

Just now, Its Not Important said:

But its virtually the exact same chip right?

Yes, it sure is mate

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

Base frequency, if we're being totally honest. X chips don't overclock any better. Trading away a stock cooler in exchange for higher tdp is an awful trade off in some cases regarding X chips vs non-X. (reason I went with the 1600 over the 1600x)

All in all, X chips are not worth the premium unless you have cash to burn or care about XFR.

5 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

Base frequency, if we're being totally honest. X chips don't overclock any better. Trading away a stock cooler in exchange for higher tdp is an awful trade off in some cases regarding X chips vs non-X. (reason I went with the 1600 over the 1600x)

All in all, X chips are not worth the premium unless you have cash to burn or care about XFR.

How does XFR works? I heard that its only enabled if the CPU detected a high end cooler.... and it only boost 100MHz  on 1 or 2 best Cores (?)

Get the 1700,the 1700x isn't so worth it for the more money to pay for it.Except if you get it Supercheap

The 1700 is a good overclocker,and comes with a very good stock cooler,for that purpose,the 1700x is basically a 1700 with a better XFR of 50 MHz Lol , but if you decide to overclock the 1700X,that functionality is gone.

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

4 minutes ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

Get the 1700,the 1700x isn't so worth it for the more money to pay for it.Except if you get it Supercheap

The 1700 is a good overclocker,and comes with a very good stock cooler,for that purpose,the 1700x is basically a 1700 with a better XFR of 50 MHz Lol , but if you decide to overclock the 1700X,that functionality is gone.

So it really is makes no sense to but 1700X over 1700 for $70 premium?

1 minute ago, Its Not Important said:

Yeah,you technically answered that xD 

PC Specs:Custom Built PC

CPU:AMD Ryzen 3 1200 GPU:Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 TI Mini RAM:Corsair Vengence 2400 MHz DDR4 Motherboard:ASUS Prime B350M-A AM4 Motherboard Case:Corsair 100R PSU:Corsair VS450 

Laptop Specs:Acer TravelMate 8472

CPU:Intel Core i5 560M Memory:2GB DDR3 CPU:Intel HD Graphics Case:Its a Laptop Motherboard:Laptop Motherboard

1 minute ago, Gaurav S Rao said:

Yeah,you technically answered that xD 

Wow okay.... I'm glad I'm holding my build now

19 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

I guess i am getting 1700X at all then if making new system hehe

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

9 minutes ago, Its Not Important said:

$70 + Noctua cooler...

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

The 1700 has a 65w TDP and the 1700x has a 95w TDP.

The 1700 has a cooler in the package which is good for up to 95w TDP so basically you can even overclock a bit with the stock cooler, and the stock cooler is actually quite decent (low noise and good performance)

The 1700x has higher "turbo" frequencies because due to the 95w TDP it can afford to use more power.  The 1700 has the peak frequencies limited to fit in that 65w tdp.

If you overclock the 1700, technically you may reach or exceed the performance of 1700x but you're not guaranteed it. If you're unlucky at the silicon lottery, you may get a chip that can't really reach those peak frequencies the 1700x can reach without excessive voltage and power consumption.

Still when you draw the line and factor everything in, the 1700 really does have better value. Worth spending those 70$ difference in something else, like upgrading from DDR2400 to DDR 2933 Mhz  (Ryzen likes high frequency low latency ram, 2667 Mhz should be minimum) or going with a m.2 SSD for better performance. 

12 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The 1700 has a 65w TDP and the 1700x has a 95w TDP.

The 1700 has a cooler in the package which is good for up to 95w TDP so basically you can even overclock a bit with the stock cooler, and the stock cooler is actually quite decent (low noise and good performance)

The 1700x has higher "turbo" frequencies because due to the 95w TDP it can afford to use more power.  The 1700 has the peak frequencies limited to fit in that 65w tdp.

If you overclock the 1700, technically you may reach or exceed the performance of 1700x but you're not guaranteed it. If you're unlucky at the silicon lottery, you may get a chip that can't really reach those peak frequencies the 1700x can reach without excessive voltage and power consumption.

Still when you draw the line and factor everything in, the 1700 really does have better value. Worth spending those 70$ difference in something else, like upgrading from DDR2400 to DDR 2933 Mhz  (Ryzen likes high frequency low latency ram, 2667 Mhz should be minimum) or going with a m.2 SSD for better performance. 

Well yeah you make me feel better by saying this, thank you and i guess i am finding a good cooler and 1700x then!

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

27 minutes ago, Its Not Important said:

How does XFR works? I heard that its only enabled if the CPU detected a high end cooler.... and it only boost 100MHz  on 1 or 2 best Cores (?)

XFR is AMD's turbo boost where the core overclocks itself during a work load for extra performance by a feww hundred megahertz. Has nothing to do with what cooler you run.

When you overclock, XFR gets disabled so the price premium becomes more if a bad investment between the two chips as both OC the same.

1 minute ago, Mooshi said:

XFR is AMD's turbo boost where the core overclocks itself during a work load for extra performance by a feww hundred megahertz. Has nothing to do with what cooler you run.

When you overclock, XFR gets disabled so the price premium becomes more if a bad investment between the two chips as both OC the same.

If i OC the 1700, will it run like that all the time? Or will it downclock on idle?

16 minutes ago, Its Not Important said:

If i OC the 1700, will it run like that all the time? Or will it downclock on idle?

I even saw idle at 4GHz using R7 1700, @TheNaitsyrk is the guy

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

8 hours ago, Its Not Important said:

Ryzen 1700 or Ryzen 1700X? Which one is better overall? (Both Value and performance per dollar) 

The "X" means "Don't buy this, it's just a test, kappa 123". 

Nah, kidding. 

Supposedly the X processor is binned to overclock better (like 100Mhz better at most, and is not guaranteed :ph34r: ) IMHO, not worth the investment, buy the 1700.

22 hours ago, Ordinarily_Greater said:

I even saw idle at 4GHz using R7 1700, @TheNaitsyrk is the guy

23 hours ago, Its Not Important said:

If you overclock Ryzen it will run at 4Ghz all the time (like mine) but at idle power draw is only 20W so it's okay. Temps are low at idle. For me it's about 40-45c. To avoid this you have to do Pstate overclocking and it keeps all the power saving features. Hope it helps.

Main PC:

CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KS SP 116 (124P-102E) (6.1Ghz P-Cores 4.8Ghz E-cores) MC SP 88

CPU Voltage: LLC8 1.525V (real voltage 1.425V + - Temps 85-90 P-Cores, 70-73 E-cores)

Cooled by: Supercool Direct Die 14th gen full nickel

Motherboard: Z790 ASUS Maximus Apex Encore

RAM: GSkill TridentZ 2x24GB DDR5 8600Mhz CL38 (OC from 8000Mhz CL40)

GPU: RTX MSI 4090 Suprim X with EKWB waterblock

Case: My own case fabricated out of aluminium and wood

Storage: 4x 2TB Sarbent Rocket Plus Gen 4.0 NVMe, 1x External 2TB Seagate Barracuda (Backup)

WiFi: BE202 WiFi 7 Tri-Band card module

PSU: Corsair AX1600i with custom black and red cables with 2x Corsair 5V+ Load Balancer

Display: Samsung Oddysey G9 240Hz Ver. 5120x1440 with G-Sync and Freesync Premium Pro 1008 Firmware Ver, and 1x Electriq USB C 1080p 15'8 inch IPS portable display for temperature and stats, MSI 23'8 144Hz G-Sync

Fan Controllers:  6x AquaComputer Octo with 5 temperature sensors

Cooling: Three Custom Loops:

1st Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for GPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, red coolant

2nd Loop: 5x 480mm XE CoolStream radiators with 1x Revo D5 RGB pump and 1x Rajintek Antila D5 Evo RGB pump for CPU only cooling with 2x Koolance QDC3, purple coolant

3rd Loop: 1x 240mm PE CoolStream radiator with 1x EKWB Revo D5 pump (RAM ONLY)

Total: 5x pumps and 13x radiators 50x 3000RPM Noctua Industrial fans

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow V3 RGB - Green switches

Sound: Logitech Z680 5.1 THX Certified 505W Speakers

Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock

Piano: Yamaha P155

Phone: Oppo Find X5 Pro

Camera: Logitech Brio Pro 4K

VR: Oculus Rift S

External SSD: 256GB Overclocking OS

LaptopMSI Titan GT77HX V13RTX 4090 175W, i9 13980HX OC: P-Cores 5.8Ghz 3 cores and 5.2Ghz 5 cores and E-Cores 4.3Ghz, 192GB of RAM @5600Mhz @3600 (chipset limit),

12TB (3x4TB) of NVMe, 17'3 inch 4K 144Hz MiniLED screen, 4x 17'3 ASUS portable USB-C Monitors 240Hz, Creative Sound Blaster G6 Sound Card, Portable 16TB NVMe in TB4 enclosures (8x2TB), Razer Basilisk Ultimate Wireless with charging dock gaming mouse, Keychron K3 gaming keyboard with blue switches low profile, Logitech Brio 4K Webcam.

Hand held: ROG Ally with XG Mobile RTX 3080 with Keychron K3 low profile keyboard (Blue Switches) and Razer Hyperspeed V3 mouse and 4TB NVMe upgrade (WDBlack SN850X), with 100W 20000Mah power bank and portable monitor ROG XG17AHP 17'3 inch 240Hz with built in battery, and 518Wh Power station for Camping.

23 hours ago, Its Not Important said:

I have a 1700 at 3,9GHz (1,325V). It can reach 4,0Ghz but since the voltage was high (1,45V) I'm not gonna use it. My only concern is memory, that is still stuck at 2400Mhz. But, it works great and it outperforms any stock 1700X and is on par with the 1800X. I'd say save the bucks and get a 1700.