Virgin Media Super Hub 2 hack

JakeNTech

So, I found this on the BBC web page this morning and though it was worth sharing, http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40371373. People that have a Super hub 2 are at risk of someone accessing devices on the network, but mainly smart appliances.

An investigation by Which? found that hackers could access the provider's Super Hub 2 router, allowing access to users' smart appliances.

A child's toy and domestic CCTV cameras were among the vulnerable devices.

Virgin Media said the risk was small but advised customers using default network and router passwords to update them immediately.

Advice that Virgin are giving out is for people to change the WIFI names, WIFI passwords and the password to get in to the web interface, more information here(The instructions online have gone).I hate the super hub two, its web gooey is clunky, its unreliable and has a bad signal range, that will teach me to use the ISP provided box.  

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

Post was moved to General Discussion for not meeting the requirements of the Tech News and Reviews section. available here:

If you bring the post back inline with the requirements above I or another moderator can move it back on request.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

1 minute ago, GzeroD said:

Post was moved to General Discussion for not meeting the requirements of the Tech News and Reviews section. available here:

If you bring the post back inline with the requirements above I or another moderator can move it back on request.

Any better?

2 hours ago, fixitnow said:

Only one way to fix this is to change your passwords through the web interface

As long as you are not using the original username/password then you are fine

Generally you should include a quote or 2 from the article to give people an understanding of what it is and why it is interesting/important. This is especially important when you don't describe the content in your own words.

In the tech news and reviews section A person should be able to read your OP and have a good idea about the topic and some of it's major details; they should be able to tie your post to something specific so they can comment on it without necessarily reading the source if they are already informed on the topic.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

6 minutes ago, GzeroD said:

Generally you should include a quote or 2 from the article to give people an understanding of what it is and why it is interesting/important. This is especially important when you don't describe the content in your own words.

In the tech news and reviews section A person should be able to read your OP and have a good idea about the topic and some of it's major details; they should be able to tie your post to something specific so they can comment on it without necessarily reading the source if they are already informed on the topic.

Ah, ok. I just posted in the same way I did last time, don't normally bother with this/that section of the forum, just saw it on the bbc and thought it was interesting, and wanted to share it as it is a major flaw,lol. Will remember this for next time I post into the news forum, thanks for explaining it! :)

Change pass on it, then put it in modem mode and use something that is actually secure.  Pretty obvious they can be nuked with the default creds are; admin / changeme

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

2 minutes ago, Falconevo said:

Change pass on it, then put it in modem mode and use something that is actually secure.  Pretty obvious they can be nuked with the default creds are; admin / changeme

To get onto the User interface I assume you have to be on the network, assuming most passwords for wifi are the same/only a few different defaults. 

2 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

To get onto the User interface I assume you have to be on the network, assuming most passwords for wifi are the same/only a few different defaults. 

You do, but it's not hard for someone to park outside your house and login. That being said...the WiFi on the SuperHub2 is shite, so they'd practically have to be stood in your house anyway! xD

Moral of the story - Always change passwords from the default whenever you get some new tech.

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Just now, Ezzy-525 said:

You do, but it's not hard for someone to park outside your house and login. That being said...the WiFi on the SuperHub2 is shite, so they'd practically have to be stood in your house anyway! xD

Moral of the story - Always change passwords from the default whenever you get some new tech.

xDxD I bet its still better then Talk Talk xD

7 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

Modem mode removes all of its wifi and lan functionality aside from 1 single lan port which your router will be plugged in to.  Completely mitigating this 'hack'

Just now, Falconevo said:

Modem mode removes all of its wifi and lan functionality aside from 1 single lan port which your router will be plugged in to.  Completely mitigating this 'hack'

The joke that me and some of my mates have is just to unplug yourself from the internet, can't be hacked then. I will ask Virgin for a hub three now lol. Cant afford proper networking gear. 

1 minute ago, fixitnow said:

The joke that me and some of my mates have is just to unplug yourself from the internet, can't be hacked then. I will ask Virgin for a hub three now lol. Cant afford proper networking gear. 

I recommend the SH3 anyway, it functions far better even in modem mode its less prone to random latency spikes.

I recommend the SH3 anyway, it functions far better even in modem mode its less prone to random latency spikes.

Does the super hub three have USB ports, have seen my mates EE box has a printer connected up to it, hoping that Virgin dose that soon too. 

Just now, fixitnow said:

Does the super hub three have USB ports, have seen my mates EE box has a printer connected up to it, hoping that Virgin dose that soon too. 

Nope, its not got any USB.  I would personally never want USB on my modem/router but that's a personal security decision

4 minutes ago, fixitnow said:

Those robbing bastards won't give you it for free lol

DAEDALUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 - 1600 @ 3.7Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo Black Edition // Motherboard: Asus RoG Strix B350-F Gaming // Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB GDDR5 // Memory: 2 x 8GB DDR4 Corsair LPX Vengeance 3000Mhz // Storage: WD Green - 250GB M.2 SATA SSD (Boot Drive and Programs), SanDisk Ultra II 120GB (GTA V), WD Elements 1TB External Drive (Steam Library) // Power Supply: Cooler Master Silent Pro 700W // Case: BeQuiet Silentbase 600 with SilentWings Mk.2 Internal Fans // Peripherals: VicTop Mechanical Gaming Keyboard & VicTsing 7200 DPI Wired Gaming Mouse

PROMETHEUS (2018 Refit) - Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 @ 3.2Ghz // Cooler: Cooler Master 212 EVO // Motherboard: Foxconn 2ABF // Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5450 (For Diagnostic Testing Only) // Memory: 2 x 4GB DDR3 Mushkin Memory // Storage: 10TB of Various Storage Drives // Power Supply: Corsair 600W // Case: Bitfenix Nova Midi Tower - Black

SpeedTest Results - Having Trouble Finding a Decent PSU? - Check the PSU Tier List!

Nope, its not got any USB.  I would personally never want USB on my modem/router but that's a personal security decision

Fair enough. 

1 minute ago, Ezzy-525 said:

Those robbing bastards won't give you it for free lol

Yeah, they do like to get our money, our prices have gone up massively in the last two years, when we have change nothing, we would change but the only other alternative is a BT based ISP, and BT are truly terrible in out area.