Help me, I can't like babies.

TommyTwommy

It really feels shitty.. It wasn't my decision.. I really want to like babies, but I just can't.. My cousin who I literally grew up with is getting a baby in a month or two, and I feel like shit because I can't be happy for him. I don't know wtf will I say when I see the baby. I don't find babies cute, funny or anything. I can't hold a baby. I can't say: Oh its so fkn adorable and cute, when I don't feel that way.. I really want to like babies, I've read on the internet why people like babies.. Literally went through a bunch of articles but nothing helped. God it really feels like shit when you can't be happy for someone who you really love, in one of the best times of their life.

CPU & COOLER - INTEL i9 12900K | NZXT KRAKEN X62

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

GPU - ASUS GEFORCE RTX 3080 TUF

RAM - 2x16GB KINGSTON FURY 3200MHZ

PSU - PHANTEKS REVOLT PRO 1000W 80 PLUS GOLD

SSD #1 - CORSAIR SN850 1TB

SSD #2 - CORSAIR SN850X 4TB

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

CASE - PHANTEKS ECLIPSE P500A D-RGB

MOUSE #1 - LOGITECH G502 X Wireless

KEYBOARD - AKKO 5108B PLUS

SPEAKERS - SVS PB-1000 + 2x ADAM A3X

HEADSET #1 - SENNHEISER IE-300

HEADSET #2 - FOSTEX TR-X00 PURPLEHREART

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

DISPLAY 2 - XIAOMI 2K GAMING

PHONE - SAMSUNG GALAXY S23+ 

2 minutes ago, Urishima said:

You are right, everyone else is in the wrong.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/baby_vs_cat

I don't like cats either.. but at least I hate cats with a reason.. dogs rock <3

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

What does you not liking infants have to do with you not feeling happy about your cousin having a child?

Surely, you can feel happy for someone without you yourself finding happiniess in the same thing. 

Like, I was happy for my neighbours when they bought a car eventhough I don't personally want a car. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

12 hours ago, Volbet said:

What does you not liking infants have to do with you not feeling happy about your cusine having a child?

Surely, you can feel happy for someone without you yourself finding happiniess in the same thing. 

Like, I was happy for my neighbours when they bought a car eventhough I don't personally want a car. 

I'm the kind of person who doesn't really get happy for others when it comes to that kind of stuff..

not because I don't want to, or because I'm jealous, envious or something.. probably cuz I'm a bit retarded I guess..

I mean if someone won the lottery I wouldn't be happy for that person bcz I'd be envious.. but really this has nothing to do with that, I just don't have that "feeling happy for others" feeling built into me.. when someone gifts me something I'll be like "ok thanks" I won't be like "OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH IDK HOW TO THANK YOU blah blah."

When I meet someone I'll just say "hi." I won't be like omfg I haven't seen your for so long (haven't seen him for since yesterday), how are you doing, how is life?

I know stuff I just said might not be related to the topic, but what I'm going for here is that I'm not really a sensitive kind of person.

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

24 minutes ago, berny22 said:

I'm the kind of person who doesn't really get happy for others in when it comes to that kind of stuff..

not because I don't want to, because I'm jealous, envious or something.. probably cuz I'm a bit retarded I guess..

I mean if someone won the lottery I wouldn't be happy for that person bcz I'd be envious.. but really this has nothing to do with that, I just don't have that "feeling happy for others" feeling built into me.. when someone gifts me something I'll be like "ok thanks" I won't be like "OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH." When I meet someone I'll just say "hi." I won't be like omfg I haven't seen your for so long (haven't seen him for a day), how are you doing, how is life?

I know stuff I just said might not be related to the topic, but what I'm going for here is that I'm not really a sensitive kind of person.

I don't really see why feeling envious about something necessarily excludes a feeling of happiness on behalf of a person.

There are plenty of people in my circle of friends that I'm envious of, but that's just all the more reason to be happy for them, since they've achieved something you have yet to do. 

If I saw someone who won the lottery I sure as hell would envy them the money, but I would also be happy for them for them (although, it depends on whether I know them or not). 

But this is all an attempt to rationalize the inherintly irrational, which is pretty much an exercise in futility. 

How you feel is entirely up to you and no one can force you to feel otherwise. 

And as long as your insensitivity towards others doesn't evolve into full on anti-social behavior there's really nothing wrong with feeling how you currently do.  

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

14 minutes ago, berny22 said:

because I'm jealous, envious or something.. probably cuz I'm a bit retarded I guess..

I think you need help, like some sort of therapy with a psychiatrist.

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

3 minutes ago, hey_yo_ said:

I think you need help, like some sort of therapy with a psychiatrist.

not because I don't want to, because I'm jealous, envious or something.. probably cuz I'm a bit retarded I guess..

you took that out of context.. and yeah i probably do :D

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

Act then. Say the nice words, smack child's nose gently and that's it, mission succseful. You don't have to start liking kids to do that.

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

17 minutes ago, Volbet said:

I don't really see why feeling envious about something necessarily excludes a feeling of happiness on behalf of a person.

There are plenty of people in my circle of friends that I'm envious of, but that's just all the more reason to be happy for them, since they've achieved something you have yet to do. 

If I saw someone who won the lottery I sure as hell would envy them the money, but I would also be happy for them for them (although, it depends on whether I know them or not). 

But this is all an attempt to rationalize the inherintly irrational, which is pretty much an exercise in futility. 

How you feel is entirely up to you and no one can force you to feel otherwise. 

And as long as you're insensitivity towards others doesn't evolve into full on anti-social behavior there's really nothing wrong with feeling how you currently do.  

I just lack that feeling I guess.. I'm far from anti-social behaviour, because as much as I see that would include violence, hate and aggresion and I'm a big opposite of that.

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

Just now, JuztBe said:

Act then. Say the nice words, smack child's nose gently and that's it, mission succseful. You don't have to start liking kids to do that.

Well of course I will do that, but it feels so wrong..

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

1 hour ago, Urishima said:

You are right, everyone else is in the wrong.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/baby_vs_cat

That is brilliant :D

To the OP, some of us just don't like babies, it's fine. If you're a guy, and I'm assuming you are, be thankful, there is far more pressure on women to like babies. Yes they are necessary to continue the human species, but not everyone needs to get involved with them.  

All you need to do is buy some stuff for the baby and then lie, just go with the usual congratulations. It won't be the last time you'll have to pretend to be happy for someone when you think they are making a massive fuck up. Consider it good practice for when a close friend quits their job to become a vlogger, or they announce they are marrying their bat-shit insane partner.

1 hour ago, berny22 said:

Well of course I will do that, but it feels so wrong..

Haha, i know that feel. Sometimes you are forced out of your comfort zone and you have to overcome it. It's good thing. Especially since you know yourself that babies isn't something evil.

I also hate babies and even children of any age. They are fucking annoying all the time.

23 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

I also hate babies and even children of any age. They are fucking annoying all the time.

Hate is a bit too rough.. I just can't overcome not liking them.. But the older they get the more annoying.. I know from personal experience..

I wasn't a problematic kid or anything.. I just know that I didn't respect my parents as much as I should've  and I didn't understand why they did some stuff they did (that was mostly before 13).. I mean there were so many points in my life at which if I was my parent I'd slap the living shit out of me.. Your parents always want the best for you and you, spoiled brat don't understand that... But hey I'd much rather have my kid turn into someone like me than into some of my peers.. there are many bullies, problematic alcoholics, young smokers.. I had friends that started drinking and smoking when they were only 13 years old, their parents knew nothing about it and thought their kids were perfect.. I'm not saying alcohol or cigarettes are a death sentence.. its mostly puberty and as time passes so does the behavior. Having kids is really scary to me because so many things can go wrong, and no matter how hard you try to raise your kid the right way it could all turn out the wrong way..

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

Urgh I hate babies just as much, I'll have just dogs as childs :P

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I don't know how your relationship with your cousin is, but you why not just tell him how it is? Just a man to man talk, letting him know that you're trying, but finding it hard. 

That or just pretend... The latter of the two is probably the easiest, but you're still gonna be in the same boat next time you meet them. 

Something.

9 hours ago, berny22 said:

It really feels shitty.. It wasn't my decision.. I really want to like babies, but I just can't.. My cousin who I literally grew up with is getting a baby in a month or two, and I feel like shit because I can't be happy for him. I don't know wtf will I say when I see the baby. I don't find babies cute, funny or anything. I can't hold a baby. I can't say: Oh its so fkn adorable and cute, when I don't feel that way.. I really want to like babies, I've read on the internet why people like babies.. Literally went through a bunch of articles but nothing helped. God it really feels like shit when you can't be happy for someone who you really love, in one of the best times of their life.

Some people don't like babies, or kids, or children in general.

You don't.

Who cares? Move on with life.

Don't be an ass to your cousin, but don't volunteer to spend time around the kid. Just grit your teeth and push through when you have to be around the kid.

Part of being an adult is sometimes having to do something you don't like.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

9 hours ago, Urishima said:

This makes some strong points

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Relevant 

i dont like babies either, can we just skip that part til they are semi intelligent?

CPU: Intel9-9900k 5.0GHz at 1.36v  | Cooling: Custom Loop | MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Z370 Maximus X Hero | RAM: CORSAIR 32GB DDR4-3200 VENGEANCE PRO RGB  | GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti | PSU: CORSAIR RM850X + Cablemod modflex white cables | BOOT DRIVE: 250GB SSD Samsung 850 evo | STORAGE: 7.75TB | CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 BLackout | Display: SAMSUNG OLED 34 UW | Keyboard: HyperX Alloy elite RGB |  Mouse: Corsair M65 PRO RGB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Phone: iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB

Former preschool teacher here, you're not alone in this sentiment. I too, dislike babies and little kids greatly. So too did most of the people working with me by the end of that year.

That doesn't mean though I wasn't an excellent teacher, I just slapped on a fake smile and did my damn best to seem competent while working. Dear lord almighty you couldn't pay me enough to go back to that work, well, maybe you could pay me enough, but its not a small sum is what im getting at.

If you're like you say you are, then there's nothing you can do about it. People don't change in my experience, we just learn to hide our natures. That's what you've got to get good at. Put on a smile and bear through it when ever you have to be with em, and just kindly decline to spend any extra time handling said child.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

10 hours ago, berny22 said:

It really feels shitty.. It wasn't my decision.. I really want to like babies, but I just can't..

Nothing to "help" there. You don't need to like babies. It's fine.

I'm the kind of person who doesn't really get happy for others when it comes to that kind of stuff..

I mean if someone won the lottery I wouldn't be happy for that person bcz I'd be envious..

OK... I mean, you don't need to get happy for others. The part of feeling bad at others' happiness due to envy... let's say is not the nicest trait, but it's OK, after all you are the only one to suffer from it (i.e., without envy, you will be happier, by not getting unhappy at others' achievements)...

Nothing really wrong with you, OP...

Except... except...

I don't like cats either.. but at least I hate cats with a reason..

56447014.jpg

Ok guys thanks for the answers.. I won't be hard on myself for being who I am.. Also looks like I expressed my self incorrectly.. 

not because I don't want to, because I'm jealous, envious or something..

I'm not jealous or envious or something.. it was all negated, but it turned out like I am jealous and envious..

anyways I'll just act like you said.. the problem is that my cousin is also my neighbor and you could say that we almost share the same backyard :/

MBO - MSI Z690 EDGE

SSD #3 - INTEL 660p 2TB

AMP/DAC - MAYFLOWER ARC

OS - WINDOWS 10 PRO

DISPLAY 1 - LG OLED42C2

Fake it until you make it

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers