Thank You, Linus

Hi Linus,

I'm not entirely sure if you get a lot of posts directly addressing you or not, or if they get read frequently, but I felt that I needed to let you know my story, because your channel has become something much more than a series of videos that air weekly, to me it's a crutch that helped me regain the grasp on my mental health. I hope you don't mind that this gets personal, but I want to share my story with you and to all that decide to view this post.

In the months leading past last March, I reached a very low point with regards to my mental health; I was suffering from serious depression and anxiety as a result of personal issues that had been dogging me constantly. I didn't know where to go- I was afraid to go to any sort of doctor and wasn't willing to talk to anyone about it because I'm naturally a shy person. I was being eaten up inside my mind and couldn't find a way out, and it was having a negative effect on my college work and general lifestyle, to the point where I was constantly trapped in a cycle my own negative thought, losing sleep and finding myself in a constant state on unhappiness.

For months this continued, and it got to a point where I had simply accepted the notion that I wouldn't be happy again. My family and close friends all tried their best to help me but it was never enough. However, one September evening I found myself at a friends house where the first episode of scrapyard wars just happened to surface as part of our youtube surfing. I had been a fan of you growing as a young teenager but had lost track of what was current with technology many years prior, but it piqued my interest so I kept watching.

This inspired me to start watching regularly the following week, as I had been interested to keep up with the series and others prior. This was the start of a domino effect- soon afterwards, my whole life became enveloped in tech and news surrounding it. I subscribed to the channels you run outside of LTT, keeping up with all the news and reviews you and your crew get up to as well as your original videos, and for the first time in over half a year, I began to smile again. 

Not only did I begin to smile, but I soon began to shake off the depression and anxiety, brushing it off as an afterthought because I was too excited at the thoughts of saving up to build my own rig. I felt my whole life change with a new focus, and in somewhat of a cliché I began to once again excel in my grades at university and my family and friends all noticed that I was returning to my old self. 

I realise this is going to come across as very bait-ey in an attempt to draw attention to myself, but I really wanted to share this because your content has changed me for the better. Thank you, maybe I can shake your hand one day, pending I catch a means of getting over to Canada.

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i will tag@LinusTech for you

Thanks. Again, I'm not trying to bug him or anything, I just felt like I'd post this here because I can't really show my appreciation elsewhere.

I will give @LinusTech an notification. Along with @Slick @CPotter 

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

2 minutes ago, AaronTypesStuff said:

Thanks. Again, I'm not trying to bug him or anything, I just felt like I'd post this here because I can't really show my appreciation elsewhere.

Not everyone cares to show appreciation like that, you do well to show it :)

I hope you're better and welcome to the forums.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, JDE said:

Actually tagging @Slick is probably more likely to get it through to Linus lol

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Just now, Energycore said:

Actually tagging @Slick is probably more likely to get it through to Linus lol

Also @nicklmg

Let's tag @Slick again!

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Just now, Energycore said:

2 minutes ago, JDE said:

Again, many thanks, I hope I'm not being too intrusive by directly addressing anyone. Thank you for being welcoming and helpful :) 

The god @Slickis here

Im mostly on discord now and you can find me on my profile

My Build: Xeon 2630L V, RX 560 2gb, 8gb ddr4 1866, EVGA 450BV 

My Laptop #1: i3-5020U, 8gb of DDR3, Intel HD 5500

Maybe he could be at work it's only 7pm

Just now, Billy_Mays said:

Maybe he could be at work it's only 7pm

Again, I'd hate to think I'm disturbing any of the actual staff. I feel very humbled that the message has actually reached anyone on the team, I posted it mainly to let people know that their work is far more important to some than what may be initially thought. 

1 minute ago, AaronTypesStuff said:

Again, I'd hate to think I'm disturbing any of the actual staff. I feel very humbled that the message has actually reached anyone on the team, I posted it mainly to let people know that their work is far more important to some than what may be initially thought. 

Your not your thanking them by posting on the forum and it's gotten the attention of a staff member 

Ima tag em again :P @LinusTech @Slick (I know your browsing already but whatever).

I got warm fuzzies from reading this... :) 

Also, if you actually wanna go meet Linus I'm not sure if this is too late but in a month there's gonna be a thing called LTX, it's like a tech carnival in Vancouver where you can meet all the lmg people.

https://linustechtips.com/main/index.php?app=core&module=system&controller=redirect&do=advertisement&ad=15&csrfKey=24045294866c815e31a96cd84808e06c

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

Ima tag em again :P @LinusTech @Slick (I know your browsing already but whatever).

I got warm fuzzies from reading this... :) 

Also, if you actually wanna go meet Linus I'm not sure if this is too late but in a month there's gonna be a thing called LTX, it's like a tech carnival in Vancouver where you can meet all the lmg people.

https://linustechtips.com/main/index.php?app=core&module=system&controller=redirect&do=advertisement&ad=15&csrfKey=24045294866c815e31a96cd84808e06c

Thanks for your response, I hope that my message touches more people in a similar fashion :)
I'm very aware of LTX, and I'd be on top of that if it wasn't for the fact I live in Ireland! As long as he knows of my thanks I'm content though, I'll get to thank him in person at some point, fingers crossed :)

24 minutes ago, AaronTypesStuff said:

19 minutes ago, AaronTypesStuff said:

Again, many thanks, I hope I'm not being too intrusive by directly addressing anyone. Thank you for being welcoming and helpful :) 

11 minutes ago, AaronTypesStuff said:

Right now I think that they're off work (if I remember correctly lmg hours is 9:30-5:30, don't ask how I know :P) so it shouldn't be much of an intrusion.

As well, Linus spends an hour or so a day I think just browsing YouTube comments and forum posts so this belongs in that time anyways so definitely not an intrusion.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

Good to hear a story of someone lifting them selves up with a new passion.

I went through something similar when my mother passed 15 years ago. It was hard on me as I was 1600 miles away in Wyoming at the time. After years of depression I took a page from her book and starting helping anyone in my life with anything I could. It helped me to have a new purpose and still does. That's why I'm here now is because helping others helps me. I am very happy now even though I'm jobless at the moment  and struggle all the time. I do odd mechanic/construction jobs to get by. I also fix/build occasional PCs from home but that's not a job, its a passion.

Best regards.

My Build:https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/795406-mini-itx-build/   PSU TIER LIST

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." - Issac Asimov

"Headward, free now to rise." - Principal Vagina

3 hours ago, Energycore said:

since when are you a mod?

OP, good story, I'm glad you got through it.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

6 hours ago, AaronTypesStuff said:

Thanks for your response, I hope that my message touches more people in a similar fashion :)
I'm very aware of LTX, and I'd be on top of that if it wasn't for the fact I live in Ireland! As long as he knows of my thanks I'm content though, I'll get to thank him in person at some point, fingers crossed :)

Before i watch linus i almost got stress every in school, after i watched him i get him as personal information guy and as personal entertainer! I hope that $30 ticket is still available (price of LTx Ticket).

"Make it future proof for some years at least, don't buy "only slightly better" stuff that gets outdated 1 year, that's throwing money away" @pipoawas

-Frequencies DON'T represent everything and in many cases that is true (referring to Individual CPU Clocks).

Mention me if you want to summon me sooner or later

Spoiler

My head on 2019 :

Note 10, S10, Samsung becomes Apple, Zen 2, 3700X, Renegade X lol

9 hours ago, spwath said:

since when are you a mod?

OP, good story, I'm glad you got through it.

I can't remember but I think he became a mod a few months ago? I believe him and therandomness became mods at similar times.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

14 hours ago, xitywampas said:

Good to hear a story of someone lifting them selves up with a new passion.

I went through something similar when my mother passed 15 years ago. It was hard on me as I was 1600 miles away in Wyoming at the time. After years of depression I took a page from her book and starting helping anyone in my life with anything I could. It helped me to have a new purpose and still does. That's why I'm here now is because helping others helps me. I am very happy now even though I'm jobless at the moment  and struggle all the time. I do odd mechanic/construction jobs to get by. I also fix/build occasional PCs from home but that's not a job, its a passion.

Best regards.

Sorry for the delay replying - sorry for your situation, I hope that you've found some solace in what you do now. I can't completely identify with your situation but you are right in what you say about this being something that is worthy of being passionate about - I can't put my finger on why, but this is something that has done for me what I thought couldn't be done. Thank you for sharing!

This is the kind of post that really helps us realize that what we're doing here actually matters - that it's more than just "a bunch of immature idiots sitting around making videos." (well it is that too, but still :) )

Sorry to hear about the troubles, but I'm very glad to hear that you're back on track and that we had some small part in that. Thank you for sharing your story!

8 hours ago, AaronTypesStuff said:

Sorry for the delay replying - sorry for your situation, I hope that you've found some solace in what you do now. I can't completely identify with your situation but you are right in what you say about this being something that is worthy of being passionate about - I can't put my finger on why, but this is something that has done for me what I thought couldn't be done. Thank you for sharing!

No problem, I'm glad you found your way to the LTT forums. Hey, whatever makes a difference. Everyone need something to be passionate about.

I want to thank everyone at LMG who makes this possible. It takes a lot of work to run a web server with forums and administrate it.

My Build:https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/795406-mini-itx-build/   PSU TIER LIST

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." - Issac Asimov

"Headward, free now to rise." - Principal Vagina

10 hours ago, nicklmg said:

a bunch of immature idiots sitting around making videos.

That is totally you guys LMFAO

But you are having fun doing it, and earning an income.

So you can retire in 20 years time to a sandy beach in Valencia Spain, or Croatia.

Leave the Canadian system behind. Leave the cold winters, leave the rain, leave the gunk and dirtiness of Vancouver, leave the hustle and bustle of Vancouver, of Turdeau's vision.

Retirement.jpg

Don't ever think you are alone in your own head. Some of us have been through this. Reach out. Glad you found a way to pull yourself up. Went through a similar thing myself after a bad motorcycle wreck about a 1 1/2  years ago. Found out I would never be able to do all the physically active things I loved. Felt my life was over. The doctor sent a therapist to see me, who I just wanted to go away. She said something that stuck though. "You have to stop thinking about what you can't do anymore, and start thinking about the things you can do. That pulled me out of it. I have to spend a lot of time in bed now, and the only thing that kept me sane, and not depressed, was to do builds and mods in my head. I came up with some really goofy idea's, lol.

But don't ever think your alone out there. Reach out. We'll come runnin! Keep doing the things your passionate about, and always look for new passions. Hang in there brother.

Best Excuses:

#1(simple) "Well, I never liked that stupid thing anyway!"

#2(complex) "Obviously there was a flaw in the material, probably due to the inadvertent introduction of contaminants during the manufacturing process."