Tank motor and ESC combo?

werto165

Just wondering your thoughts on this : https://www.amazon.co.uk/GoolRC-WP-1060-RTR-Waterproof-Electronic-Controller/dp/B01F1WYDG8 thnking about getting two of those and then using it to power a tank that I'm building from thingiverse, what sort of lipo would I need for this? I assume you use lipos or do you use NiMH? Only real experience with RC is with a nitro RC car and a quadcopter so doesn't really totally translate over. I assume if I've got a turngy i6 transmitter I'd jsut use the receiver that I have with it and hook it up to the allierions and the throttle? 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

19 minutes ago, werto165 said:

Just wondering your thoughts on this : https://www.amazon.co.uk/GoolRC-WP-1060-RTR-Waterproof-Electronic-Controller/dp/B01F1WYDG8 thnking about getting two of those and then using it to power a tank that I'm building from thingiverse, what sort of lipo would I need for this? I assume you use lipos or do you use NiMH? Only real experience with RC is with a nitro RC car and a quadcopter so doesn't really totally translate over. I assume if I've got a turngy i6 transmitter I'd jsut use the receiver that I have with it and hook it up to the allierions and the throttle? 

Lipos are far superior in terms of the battery. In terms of what type of lipo it depends on how much load is on each of the motors. At least a 4s lipo though. I would just get a nice big lipo for a tank because your probably not super concerned about speed. I hope I helped :)

4 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

Lipos are far superior in terms of the battery. In terms of what type of lipo it depends on how much load is on each of the motors. At least a 4s lipo though. I would just get a nice big lipo for a tank because your probably not super concerned about speed. I hope I helped :)

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2024364 Well on here it recommends a 3S lipo, I already have a 2200 mah 40C lipo from my quad might just get the same to avoid the hassle of getting another battery pair. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

1 minute ago, werto165 said:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2024364 Well on here it recommends a 3S lipo, I already have a 2200 mah 40C lipo from my quad might just get the same to avoid the hassle of getting another battery that's the same as my quadcopter. 

If your not worried about speed a 3s will be cheaper and 2200mah is pretty big xD I have stuck to planes so I usually use a 1000mah 3s or something around there. 

Just now, Legolessed said:

If your not worried about speed a 3s will be cheaper and 2200mah is pretty big xD I have stuck to planes so I usually use a 1000mah 3s or something around there. 

I only get around 6 mins fly time with my quad with that... I like to err on the side of caution and don't let the lipo discharge too much. I feel like I'm too comitted at this point it's already taken me about 20 hrs and I haven't even got both tracks printed out, mind you TPU isn't the fastest thing to print with. 

2 hours ago, Legolessed said:

NiMH is old tech at this point lipo is the only way to go.

Similarly brushLESS motors are far superior to brushed motors.

suggesting a 4s lipo for the motor he linked is poor advice as its very clearly designed for 2-3s and brushed motors are much less forgiving with over voltage.(wears out the brushes much faster)

Also a 4s is not necessarily faster than a 3s its only one factor in the equation.  a 10,000kv 1s motor is "faster" than a 500kv 4s motor.  Whats ultimately important is power.

1 hour ago, JokerProduction said:

suggesting a 4s lipo for the motor he linked is poor advice as its very clearly designed for 2-3s and brushed motors are much less forgiving with over voltage.(wears out the brushes much faster)

Also a 4s is not necessarily faster than a 3s its only one factor in the equation.  a 10,000kv 1s motor is "faster" than a 500kv 4s motor.  Whats ultimately important is power.

ya i realized my mistake. i mainly thought, "its a 60 amp esc, it can take way more than a 3s" but i kinda got overexcited lol

9 hours ago, JokerProduction said:

Just thought because it's going to be using 3d printed gears a brushless motor would make the printer gear very likely to fail due to the heat