Hi everybody.
Note that i'm french and my english is not as good as i wanted it to be.

I'm trying to make from draft a configuration that could handle 2 VMs (or only one with one of your solutions :D) :
- FreeNAS (>= 6 hdd) / Plex (~ 10k passmark  - 2160p and 1080p clients) / Transmission (or other) / Sonarr (and cie)
- Linux based distribution with FFMPEG to encode in "RT" (so only 1 client on Plex at max) the hardware-encoded flow (nvenc x264 1080p high bitrate) from my gaming computer to Twitch (x264 1080p 60fps)

It's hard to me cause i don't find a lot of benchmarks or solid passmarks values about FFMPEG requirements to help me in this task.
Of course i want to make it cheapest as possible so i looked the Xeon, the new Ryzen, some AMD old socket cpu, i7 but i can't find my piece in that.

It'd be highly appreciated if you could provide me a bit of your science guys ! 

Regars, Jérémy.

Edited by Jokoast
specify that the need goes around ryzen cpus

ffmpeg cpu speed depends on how good of quality you want and what bitrate.

If you want to run vm's id run proxmox instead of freenas, you still have zfs, but a much better interface for vms, and your running on linux not freebsd.

Id probably just get a ryzen r5 1600, low power and best value here.

16 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

ffmpeg cpu speed depends on how good of quality you want and what bitrate.

I'd say between 3k and 6k bitrate for Twitch (https://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/1253460-broadcast-requirements) with a good quality. I don't want the most gorgeous stream, just something great enough to be appreciable. 

If you want to run vm's id run proxmox instead of freenas, you still have zfs, but a much better interface for vms, and your running on linux not freebsd.

So proxmox is able to make striping and mirroring like FreeNas does ? Does he come with a system of jails, plugins or docker allowing me to run Plex/Transmission/Sonarr without problems ? Gonna look for informations about Proxmox, thank's.

Id probably just get a ryzen r5 1600, low power and best value here.

Thank's for the tip, gonna give it a head up to see the price package of MB/CPU/RAM with this hardware :).

If some others can give me some hints about the hardware i'd need, i'm still there and watching :D.

EDIT 1 : Is there good 19" rackmounted case with a good airflow control able to handle r5 1600 and like 6 HDDs ? Or is it better to buy a desktop case with 6+ HDD slots and a stable airflow ? 

1 hour ago, Jokoast said:

So proxmox is able to make striping and mirroring like FreeNas does ?

It has the exact same drive subsystem, so yes.

1 hour ago, Jokoast said:

oes he come with a system of jails, plugins or docker allowing me to run Plex/Transmission/Sonarr without problems ?

You can run full vm's unlike freenas and containers. You can run docker in a container or a vm.

If you want a rack server look at something like a used dell r710, there about 400 with dual 6 cores and about 48gb of ram, and faster than a r5 1600 would be. 

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

If you want a rack server look at something like a used dell r710, there about 400 with dual 6 cores and about 48gb of ram, and faster than a r5 1600 would be.

Yes but it's not 19" rackable, it's a real server size and my rack isn't able to take "real" servers. And i'm worried about consumptions and noise. With a "recent" one, it shouldn't be hard to make something quiet able to run H24.

Are you saying that buying a "used" server can be better for what i'm looking for ?

3 minutes ago, Jokoast said:

Yes but it's not 19" rackable, it's a real server size and my rack isn't able to take "real" servers. And i'm worried about consumptions and noise. With a "recent" one, it shouldn't be hard to make something quiet able to run H24.

Are you saying that buying a "used" server can be better for what i'm looking for ?

noise wise there not that bad, about the same as a louder desktop, these are the ultra lound winey ones.

Power isn't too bad on these either, not as good as a ryzne desktop(idles at about 60-70w) this server idles at about 100-120w.

IDK what rack you have, but these fit in any 4foot deep ones with the squares to mounting.

Used server is normally cheaper, faster, supports more ram(ryzen is 64gb max, the r710 is 288gb max), better os support(ryzen still hase some errors in some workloads).

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

IDK what rack you have, but these fit in any 4foot deep ones with the squares to mounting.

I've a 19" (1.5 foot) rack (used for commutators, switchs and cie) but don't care about the rack now, i can build one to host a server near the other one.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Power isn't too bad on these either, not as good as a ryzne desktop(idles at about 60-70w) this server idles at about 100-120w.

Used server is normally cheaper, faster, supports more ram(ryzen is 64gb max, the r710 is 288gb max), better os support(ryzen still hase some errors in some workloads).

Ok, gonna look that now. Dell r710 ? Gonna see if someone in Europe sell some without too many fees.

Just now, Jokoast said:

've a 19" (1.5 foot) rack (used for commutators, switchs and cie) but don't care about the rack now, i can build one to host a server near the other one.

Thats gonna be a pain to fit any srever in, esp ones with dries. your best off wither getting a bigger rack, get a xeon d system for it(or atom), these dont' normally take many drives, are expensive for good performance. You can also just place the server net the rack.

2 minutes ago, Jokoast said:

k, gonna look that now. r710 ? Gonna see if someone in Europe sell some without too many fees.

From what ive heard, pricing is worse there than the US.

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Thats gonna be a pain to fit any server in, esp ones with dries.

Yeah, that's why i was looking for a 19" rackmounted case that can fit in (like this one [sorry french link] http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00160735.html got 6 x 3"1/2, good airflow and 2 additionals 3" 1/2 slots but it takes 4U [that is not a problem, my rack is nearly empty])

9 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

From what ive heard, pricing is worse there than the US.

For now, i just find it with poor features like old Xeon and 8GB RAM ... 

For information, i don't care about the rack, just that i was thinking put it in, to hide the nerd stuff i got, my gf doesn't like the mess i have and it'll be worse with time.

6 minutes ago, Jokoast said:

Yeah, that's why i was looking for a 19" rackmounted case that can fit in (like this one [sorry french link] http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00160735.html got 6 x 3"1/2, good airflow and 2 additionals 3" 1/2 slots but it takes 4U)

For now, i just find it with poor features like old Xeon and 8GB RAM ... 

For information, i don't care about the rack, just that i was thinking put it in, to hide the nerd stuff i got, my gf doesn't like the mess i have and it'll be worse with time.

That case looks too deep for that shallow rack, also your putting a lot of weight on those front rails, so make sure they can handle that if you go that route.

Those system can be upgraded cheaply(at least in the us) to dual 6 cores and lots of ram.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

That case looks too deep for that shallow rack, also your putting a lot of weight on those front rails, so make sure they can handle that if you go that route.

Oh yeah i didn't thought about that ...

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Those system can be upgraded cheaply(at least in the us) to dual 6 cores and lots of ram.

For how much ? Cause i want to build this as cheap as possible and i hope it can do what i want it to do (some Plex and Streaming computer)

6 minutes ago, Jokoast said:

Oh yeah i didn't thought about that ...

For how much ? Cause i want to build this as cheap as possible and i hope it can do what i want it to do (some Plex and Streaming computer)

idk about price there, but i could get that system setup here for less than 400 usd with drives, but i know prices are much worse there.

Id probably also just look at a desktop build. 

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Zz9Tf8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Zz9Tf8/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor  (£195.42 @ Ebuyer) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-D3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£97.72 @ CCL Computers) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£99.99 @ Aria PC) 
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£99.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£99.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce 8400 GS 1GB Video Card  (£24.84 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 360W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply  (£63.14 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £980.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-23 17:51 BST+0100

Thank's, i added some components on camelcamelcamel and wait&see. 

Thank you :)